Iki Ramen (Koreatown): A Pictorial Essay

not tremendous. a bit soft, stuck to the plate, and more sweet than sour.

the chashu was thin and soft. i forgot to mention the ajitama was another highlight, with a nice jammy yolk.

3 Likes

This is soooo good there!

When I had this dish there was no truffle oil (on the menu or on the dish). It was a dish that needed no “improvement” (not that truffle oil improves anything).

1 Like

It’s not all fake unfortunately(or not) but the real stuff is very expensive and the flavor, while good, still overwhelms whatever it is put with. I do not understand the overuse of it at all.

2 Likes

We made a return visit to Iki, and it was as great as the first time.

Tai carpaccio I didn’t get overwhelmed by the truffle oil like @PorkyBelly did, but it might have been because we also had the yuzu to balance things off; the pepper seasoning was robust, but we didn’t mind and enjoyed the extra kick

blue crab hand roll again :smile:

Uni and ikura mazemen - we sprung for the extra uni topping as you can see :slight_smile: ,otherwise no need to repeat what everybody has said - this dish is a knockout

Tai ramen This was fantastic - the broth was fishy in a good way, and the pieces of tai were pretty rare and had a nice chewiness; the pepper seasoning was robust here as well

Shio ramen without the yuzu; I like this version better, as you can concentrate on the shio flavors, but most would like the yuzu version

spicy tuna roll - I felt bad, because I ordered this as an add on, and the server asked if their portions were too small!? I told her “no”, I just loved the food. They brought out that ceviche as an accompaniment :astonished:

If I were to make one quibble about Iki Ramen, it’s that the noodles are good (they serve their purpose) but not great. In fact, my SO mused “wouldn’t it be great if they could drop their mazemen noodles into the ramen?”

6 Likes

I love this place. I’ve been going here for a while. Two weeks ago I went with a group and did the tasting menu at the bar.

Tai Carpaccio with Uni

Spicy Tuna on toast with cucumber and caviar

Lobster and Soft Shell Crab Each crustacean had its own sauce. The lobster was similar to newport seafood. The soft shell crab sat on top of of a spicy semi sweet chili sauce. This dish was a highlight.

Uni Mazemen with Charred Langostinos, Truffle Caviar, Ikura, and Shiso This was the best dish of the night.

Seared A5 Wagyu Tartare with Kizami Wasabi

Blue Crab with Yuzu Aioli

Yuzu Shio Broth

Matcha Tiramisu The chef’s sister made this. This was great – although the koji ice cream is still my favorite desert here, which we ended up having as well.

All in all we had a great meal. Also not pictured was a kakuni bao with a slow cooked egg, but I didn’t get a photo. We left STUFFED.

9 Likes

Thanks for the report! Those are actually langostinos though.

3 Likes

@moonboy403 Ahhh thanks for the correction :wink:

1 Like

How is this place not packed to the brim every night? I’m here Friday at 730 and it’s pretty empty. I need this place to survive

1 Like

I really really really want to try this place and I pretty much already know I am going to like it. I pretty much already know this is going to be the #1 ramenya in So Cal, ridiculous statement I know!

1 Like

IMO, parking is really holding them back.

not sure about ranking but their menu is solid all around so don’t just go there for ramen.

1 Like

I’ve been 4 times and have found lot parking every time. But I agree, if the lot’s full I dunno what the option is

They’ve also started letting people double park—they just give you a little Iki Ramen sign to put in your window.

1 Like

Ditto. 5+ times.

1 Like

There’s other ways to get there than fighting traffic and parking. Within 2 blocks of Iki Ramen, there’s the Red Line at Wilshire/Western, the DASH Mid-Wilshire/Koreatown, and DASH Wilshire/Hollywood (aka the Larchmont shuttle). There’s Metro Buses 16, 18, 20, 66, 207, 209, 720, and 757 Also Santa Monica BBB Rapid 7.

1 Like

Just went today for dinner got lucky that I found a spot in the lot, although it was only a 15 min spot. We ate quickly and left. It was very good but we didnt have ramen so waiting to come back and try that.

1 Like

Nice seeking!

I was going to wait until the weather cools down, but looks like there’s much more to Iki than ramen. Of course, we’ll still get ramen… and… takoyaki… and those noodles with the uni & ikura. :kissing_closed_eyes: Now what did I do with that other stomach I just bought?

P.S. The bit about the owner was cool, kinda’ intriguing - trivia lover that I am. But, I haven’t been to n/Naka, so no worries about comparing. :wink:

…And thanks for all the transportation tips!

2 Likes

We were there for dinner on Monday, too, around 6:30. Saw the 15 minute spot, but bypassed it and found a spot on the street a block north on 7th St. Had the yuzu shio ramen, burnt garlic tonkotsu ramen, and kaisen don. All were very good.

1 Like

that lot is big and usually there’s lots of space. then there’s the street.

i’m going to blow them up all over my most impactful socials tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My family has been raving for a full hour after their first visit. Wow. Haven’t seen that reaction since Basque

We got so much stuff but these were prettiest

We got takoyaki, ramen and gyoza too

The burata is a nice touch on this

7 Likes

I was here Tuesday lunch.

Loved the balance of the ikura, uni, and the sauce. Noodles were like al dente pasta with the right texture and profile. I saw this more like a yoshoku seafood pasta… was imagining the fun pairings with it.

8 Likes