"I'll Have What Phil's Having" on PBS Tonight

even if he does say that in the tehran episode (note the if), how does that apply to any other episode?
i’ll add your definition of “quite a bit of evidence” and mine are vastly different.

in my experience, bourdain has, on his programs, eaten in people’s homes for any number of reasons.

1 Like

Well, there was the Korean dumpling place. But I’m not so much talking about the locations they visited. The show was really about LA’s culture, and the episode did a great job showing how people live here.

The episode was in no way meant to show LA’s best restaurants. I think that was pretty clearly presented when Bourdain went to Sizzler and they talked about how it represented America, with its red meat and dairy-based sides, for a lot of first-generation immigrants. Bourdain didn’t say anything tasted good, except that he saw the appeal of cheesy toast.

1 Like

Ha!
I thought the same too…
They needed to pan out on the camera when shooting his close up.

:frog:

I suppose that’s fair enough.

Perhaps you can explain to me why the LA episode is the only episode in the entire series not to showcase the best food in the city that is being discussed?

Was it a snub to the city? Or a secret nod to us that LA is so good it needs to be kept secret? Or what?

it was an episode about ktown not la

Has Ktown advanced so much since that episode that there just wasn’t anything worth going to in Ktown back then? Maybe so I guess.

On that logic, he ought to come back to LA seasonally and do shows on each section of the city. The Silver Lake episode would be hilarious. But the Boyle Heights episode would be really enjoyable.

I saw an interview w/ Tony Bourdain recently and he said that he wanted to do an episode that focused solely on Ktown. He then went on to say that if he does another LA episode that he will focus entirely on Central American food (Salvadorian, etc and Mexican as well). He is trying to show parts of LA that people outside of LA never see.

(edit: here’s the link to the interview with Tony talking about the reason he shot Ktown and why he wanted to show a different version of LA. Starts around 27:00. Very interesting interview overall. https://youtu.be/FGraXEtCol0)

This is my problem with the show as well—his facial expressions and goofball enthusiasm. He looks/acts like a “silly American” abroad.

2 Likes

prove it.

dude, stop thinking for other people. go out and make any t.v. show about los angeles (or anywhere else) you want.
is it so inconcievable bourdain makes the shows he wants to make?
why is he required to make a certain type of show to fit your agenda?
are you not aware since he’s started making television shows, bourdain has featured los angeles any number of times?

4 Likes

I recently tried to watch Blackhat, the “hacker” movie starring Thor, and it was so bad, I couldn’t finish it. The only good thing about the movie was that there was a fight scene that took place at Ham Ji Park and it reminded me that I still need to go there and try their gamjatang.

Terrible movie. Didn’t even make it to the Ham Ji Park scene :frowning:

Finally watched this last night - I want Langers so bad now.

FYI Season 1 is on Netflix.

3 Likes

It’s all about the Malibu Chicken! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Been watching it on Netflix - Barcelona is next for me. I really like this show. I think some have criticised the show for not being “foodie” enough. Haven’t seen the LA episode yet, which seems to draw the most criticism. But when one considers that the collective wisdom on this board dwarfs just about any individual’s by far, expectations might be unfair from this board’s perspective. Combine that with the host’s perspectives, time constraints and interjection of non-food material and humor, I think Phil has done a great job. I’d kill to ride shotgun with this guy.

1 Like

I got tired of the facetiming w/ the parents schtick after the first couple of episodes. It was cute/funny once, but unnecessary and annoying seeing it as a regular segment of the show.

1 Like

he can be corny but i cant stop… i’ll watch any food show unless it’s ‘reality’

2 Likes

hate the wide eye doe face shtick after everything he eats too

ditto

Love Barcelona.

Quite possibly my favorite city.

1 Like

He says his emotive responses are sincere. Whether they are or not, I laugh every time. I AM easily amused…

2 Likes