In search of brisket for smoking and good carne asada for gilling

Kenji recommends a Beef chuck roll. Is that the same as a chuck roast? Is this common in the local grocery stores?

I believe it refers to a chuck that has been tied to maintain a uniform shape. I have done one of these four or five times and I buy a boneless chuck roast, rub it, tie it and smoke it. Delicious!

2 Likes

Where can I find Brisket now? Marcondas?

Still repping these folks hard:
https://westcoastprimemeats.com/products/niman-ranch-all-natural-choice-angus-brisket/

2 Likes

I answered my own question. Too big though. I want to smoke it. How long do you think that would take? a couple of days?

1 Like

Cut the flat off and use for burgers or make some chili and then smoke the point.

2 Likes

Or corn the flat for corned beef and smoke the point.
If you want to smoke the whole thing I’d figure 12 to 14 hours at 225. Maybe longer.

3 Likes

I’ve smoked maybe 30 briskets from Costco over the years. They do vary in size but average is around 12-13 hours. I’ve gone as long as 15 hours, some were done in about 10.

3 Likes

I am cautious and cut the brisket into two parts so that we can smoke the point for a shorter period and better monitor moistness since we like to trim fairly lean.

I didn’t properly thank Ebethsdad for the above idea of smoking chuck roasts back in 2019 - it really is good and much easier given the shorter cook time.

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I think you’ll be surprised at how fast that brisket disappears!

How did you like the chuck roast vs brisket? Was there a huge difference?

is there a place that just sells the point?

1 Like

Cambridge Farms is a kosher market in the Valley. They sell just the point (they label it 2nd cut), but I wasn’t very impressed with it the one time I tried it.

It is my favorite part of a smoked brisket! I do think the point ends up in ground beef quite a bit. Usually the flat gets the star treatment.

1 Like

The point for burnt ends all day

Yeah, but what happens to all the extra points on the brisket flats you see at the supermarket or get sold as corned beef. Seems like a lot of flats getting sola solo. Guessing a lot of that gets processed into ground beef

1 Like

Totally agree. When I asked my favorite butcher, Jim’s Fallbrook Market, they couldn’t sell me just a point. It had to be a whole brisket. I can split it up for corned beef, pastrami, and smoked brisket but I am only cooking for two now so that’s a month’s worth of meals.

We could tell it was not brisket, but it was very good. If I gave a well made brisket a 10 score (my favorite smoked item), I would give the chuck roast an 8.5 or 9. However, it cooks in half the time and closer to pork rib cooking time which makes it a lot easier. We’ve also found periodic sales at Whole Foods putting the chuck roasts under $4 per lb.

1 Like

Yes chuck roast was on sale at Whole Foods for $3.99 per lb a few weeks ago. We bought one to eat that week and an extra one to freeze for the future. They also have stew meat we buy and freeze for curries and stews. Whenever we see this deal we pounce.

Back to brisket has anybody tried to buy one of the bigger Costco 12-14 lb chunks and cut it down the middle. Smoke half the brisket and freeze the other half for a future date?

2 Likes