In Search of Golden, Crispy, Delectable Fried Chicken - Farmshop, Pann's, Jim Dandy, Huckleberry, The Brentwood, Republique, Honeybird, Howlin' Ray's and more!

I did yesterday. Pros: good QPR, chicken wasn’t dry. Cons: everything else you’d expect in a fried chicken sandwhich, including flavor.

2 Likes

Not putting this in the fast food thread because… Well, it’s fried chicken.

I tried Burger King’s new spicy chicken sandwich. Got to say, I was shocked. It was different and very good.

Now mine wasn’t very juicy, but it was ginormous, with lots of their spicy sauce. It had a little heat. But it was completely different than anyone else’s sauce. It was not mayo based. Maybe it was like a sweet chili sauce though not as sweet. I don’t know.

I don’t think it really needed both the mayonnaise and the spicy sauce. I’d kill the mayo.

The chicken coating reminded me of Popeyes. But I’m not gonna lie, I was too hungry to spend any time analyzing it, I was busy scarfing it down

Don’t judge, I had not eaten all day so I had to use the app deal to get a free Whopper.

Now THAT was glorious. I get extra pickles extra onions extra tomatoes extra lettuce, and this was spectacular. The tomatoes were bright red. The pickles were so crunchy. This is without a doubt the freshest produce I’ve ever had at any Burger King anywhere. God was it good.

OK I’m going into a coma now. I’ll try the chicken sandwich again and give a better report next time.

11 Likes

Damn chking and whopper that’s a lot of fast food lol

1 Like

Uh. Hello. What did I say???
:point_down: :point_down: :point_down: :point_down:

:roll_eyes:

(No fries or sides so it was super healthy and light LOL)

6 Likes

Oh, next time you can do a slightly higher end version at HiHo (yes, they have a fried chix sandwich). Just had it for the first time a few days ago.

The batter is rather similar to what you’d expect on a fish 'n chip (so a nice cross btw crunchy and crispy). The part sandwiched by the buns doesn’t hold up well, but there’s a bit of protein and crust that extends beyond the bun. Served w/ some slaw that could use a bit more acidity and mayo.

Wouldn’t drive out of my way for this, but it’s a respectable rendition.

1 Like

Not judging, if anything your post almost made me want to go to bk and recreate your order lol

2 Likes

LOL, I’m just playing :slight_smile:

1 Like

No one can ever body-shame gr8pimpin. I have no shame.

I’m a bachelor for a few days which means…

Back to Burger King for another Ch’King sandwich ($5.19)

This time I got the standard not spicy.

Look at how huge this is. The coating does remind me of Popeyes. Not a ton of flavor, more reliant on the sauces. The chicken was again, not juicy. And when you have such a thick piece of chicken you either need juicy meat or moisture from sauce or veggies. Mine had very little of their “savory” sauce.

I ate half to leave room for dessert.

So for dessert, I got a free Whopper. Extra lettuce tomato pickles and onion.

Again, like the other day, super fresh veggies. I’m done with the chicken sandwich when I can get a burger like this for 1/2 the price of the chicken.

9 Likes

I’m really enjoying your fast food chronicles.

1 Like

And now the also-rans in the fast food chicken wars.

The Carl’s Jr. Bacon Swiss Handbreaded Chicken Sandwich. Looks great, right!!

When you look at the one I got, only a trained eye can discern the extremely subtle differences.

Can you see the chicken?

Here, the other side had a little thickness on one end…

The name is more of a mouthful than the sandwich.

Look at how thin the chicken is. Compare this to Popeyes, KFC, and Burger King and their enormous and thick chicken breasts.

The breading had flavor, not like Popeyes, BK, and KFC who rely on the sauces. The chicken meat itself was juicy, and had flavor as well. The texture was that of a breast that they inject with saline like those frozen chicken breasts sold by Kroger.

The bacon was mostly flavorless.

But… each element was on the salty side, except the lettuce. So, combined, this should actually be marketed as the Hand Salted And Breaded Salt Water Chicken Sandwich with Salt.

I got this because they emailed me a coupon, making it only slightly more expensive than everyone except BK. $4.99.

But look at my receipt…

The regular price is an insane $8.59.

They really should coordinate with a cardiologist to offer discount medical attention. Though the folks at Carls really need a psychiatrist.

Btw, I was going to get a Popeyes chicken sandwich to compare and contrast. But 10 minutes after placing my mobile order, they told me that they still didn’t have the order and that I should wait 10 to 15 minutes. I asked them should I go and get dinner somewhere and come back? They said, yeah, I could. But then suggested I just wait 10 to 15 minutes in the lobby. dipshits.

8 Likes

That’s gonna be a hard no, momma. I’d be hard-pressed to eat that even for $4.99. Would rather just save the $5 to put to something else entirely. That crust/breading is tragic.

1 Like

Decided to revisit KFC for their chicken sandwich. It had been a few months since I had one, so now that I’ve tried so many offerings from other fast food joints….

Not easy to photo with one hand on the steering wheel (no, I wasn’t driving. I was stopped at a light so “lighten up, Francis”)

Nice size. Bigger than CFA and McD, slightly smaller than Popeyes and not nearly as enormous as BK).

The coating is slightly seasoned but flavorful enough. Nice crunch. But not hard crunchy. The mayo is definitely needed here. Again, unlike CFA where the chicken is seasoned and the coating is seasoned, the KFC, McD, BK, JitB, Wendy’s and Popeyes all, to some extent, rely on the mayo or sauce to bring out the flavor. We’ll ignore Carl’s. Theirs rates below an AM/PM chicken sandwich…

This was seriously juicy. Juicier than ANY of the others I’ve had, anywhere. Nice pickles. Thick and crunchy.

$3.99 price point is about average. CFA is slightly more, BK is over $5.20 (though huge).

Oh, one advantage of KFC, if you don’t want side dishes, add on a chicken breast for $2.50-$2.99 (depending on location).

I think my chicken sandwich pecking order is:

1. CFA
  2. Popeyes
  3. KFC
  4. BK**
  5. MCD
  6. Jack in the Box
  7. Wendy’s
  8. Carls

** BK easily could be number two if I had gotten one that had been juicy. It’s a pretty good chicken sandwich. The spicy version is totally unique. But All 4 of mine were dry, though that could just be a problem with my nearest location)

6 Likes

Carl’s Junior Hand-Breaded Chicken Sandwich w/Pickles, Swiss Cheese & Mayo on Potato Bun

Super busy, super hungry, pulled into a Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito. I usually get a Bean & Cheese Burrito but had Chicken Sandwiches on the brain because of this convo.

I ended up eating just the crispy, tasty outer layer w/the melty cheese, pickles & some of the good bun because 1) the “chicken breast” tasted like processed rubber and oh so salty! Water! 2) because I’m trying to get my pre-Covid figure back! :wink:

Coinkydink - as I was eating it (in my car) the ESPN radio hosts were discussing the merits of Fried Chicken Sandwiches, then later when I asked hubs what he had for lunch he said a Fried Chicken Burrito from Trejo’s! Somehow National Fried Chicken Day had seeped into the consciousness. If I’d known it was NFCD I’d have chosen a much better representation!

Happy Eating!

8 Likes

Yours looks 1000x better than mine. Seriously could not see the chicken under the bun.

Right? Wish I’d have known. I had chicken McNuggets. Lame! I’ve probably celebrated with fried chicken too much already this month.

1 Like

This one has no tomato, no bacon and the only thing green on the bun are pickles. I requested the cheese. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Had absolutely terrible fried chicken at the new Luella’s in Culver City’s citizens public market. Brisket was also a disaster. Hard pass.

5 Likes

Wanted to try this breaded chicken BLT so I did for lunch today. The chicken part doesn’t come anywhere close to Popeye’s. AND the total for the sandwich alone was $7.61. I’m still trying to figure that out and I did pretty well in algebra as a kid. Certainly not $4.99. Our tax rate is 7.75% so that puts it at $7.06 which is kindof a weird price. Still need to try KFC’s version but I’m pretty much sold on this being won by someone who actually knows fried chicken Sorry Carl’s Jr.

1 Like

Panda Express is trying out a new fried chicken sandwich at the Innovation Kitchen in Pasadena. Not great pictures because it’s not super notable except for the novelty.

It comes diaper wrapped in paper inside a foil lined paper bag so they’re trying the QC the quality at least a little. We ate it there so not sure how well it preserves the crust if you took it on a short drive.

Sandwich itself was fine. The chicken wasn’t particularly large or juicy but it also wasn’t a straight chicken patty puck. The breading was a slight deviation from the norm- it was very light and somewhat crispy but not thick or substantial enough to be crunchy. It’s definitely not a common fried chicken breading and made me wonder if it’s what they use on the usual orange chicken before it gets sauced.

Speaking of sauce, it comes with a pink dressing that I couldn’t really taste over the very sweet (I’m assuming orange chicken) sauce they liberally drizzle over the chicken. It’s generally quite sugary like some other Panda Express items especially because the bun itself clearly has some sweetener. It’s not implicitly unpleasant but reminds me of some kind of pastry I can’t put my finger on.

The sandwich also includes some cabbage that’s nice for texture and pickles they use for the wraps at that location but it wasn’t enough to offset the overall sweetness.

Overall, not my favorite and we only went because we were in the neighborhood running an errand. If we were in the area again I’d get a wrap instead or (more likely) hit up Bhanu instead.

8 Likes

Sounds like an orange chicken chicken sandwich.

1 Like

Hah, yup. Pretty much. I didn’t like it very much but I can’t really complain because it is exactly as advertised

2 Likes