Instacart versus Amazon Prime Now versus Mercato

I ordered dinner last night for a neighbor and myself from a local restaurant via Postmates and the delivery was free because I have a monthly Postmates membership, but there was a $10 service charge. So much for free delivery with your $10 a month membership.

That one was new and will make me think about ordering from Postmates again, although I guess you can say it was transparent.

1 Like

If the drivers are making a living, how far would $10 go? Two deliveries? Three?

Some delivery services have been keeping costs to the customer down by screwing restaurants and their own employees. Thatā€™s not sustainable.

3 Likes

Just ordered another Postmates delivery and this time $7.30 service fee on top of what would have been a $7 delivery fee (if I hadnā€™t already paid a monthly membership fee), all on top of a $31 pre-tax order, and following delievery then there will be gentle suggestions to tip my driver 20%.

This Postmates service fee is a new phenomenon. I guess the true cost of delivery is coming home to roost and it is expensive. Iā€™m exhausted today because I have been working marathon hours, but in the future, I think this is a real incentive to go out and pick up my own food or cook for myself.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t realize I hadnā€™t looked at Prime Now, Iā€™d been looking at Amazon Fresh or Amazon Pantry. Confusing. Prime Now is Whole Foodsā€™ version of Instacart.

Iā€™ll humor you guys. Got the wrong order delivered

Should have ordered more $$$!

1 Like

Thatā€™s the most first world problem shit Iā€™ve seen today. Just take the free shit dude omg

9 Likes

Half of it is baby stuff. I am not even in my home I am self quarantine I have no room

LOL next FTC review by JKB: Infant formula takeout bang bang: Similac Advanced, followed by Enfamil.

8 Likes

My last two orders from Ralphs/Instacart were just fine. No crap I didnā€™t order and the substitutions were just as I authorized.

I asked for and received both receipts. All prices matched those listed on the Ralphs website.

2 Likes

Switching back to delivery for a while given the exponential pandemic curves.

I was placing a Costco delivery order through Instacart, and at checkout noticed a message that said something like ā€œadditional savings may be available at sameday.costco.com.ā€ So I tried the same order there and it was at least 10% cheaper. Plus they did not have the ā€œone per orderā€ limit on the tuna I like.

1 Like

Ordering from Costco directly is way better but Instacart had $50 coupons this week so that was nice.

1 Like

They didnā€™t offer me one!

Best part? It was good for 2 uses. Thank you sweet sweet venture capital.

$20 to save 2+ hours of my time.

4 Likes

Another option.

Search is broken on my Android phone.

Albertsons / Vons / Pavilions are laying off delivery employees to use gig workers instead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/01/06/vons-albertsons-doordash-prop-22-layoffs/

Drivers are also eligible for some health insurance subsidies through the Affordable Care Act when they work 15 hours or more a week, DoorDash spokesman

Paid by our Tax Dollars and not their C-Suite bonuses. ugh.

3 Likes

I had one of my weirder Instacart experiences today: what we got didnā€™t match the receipt. E.g we were billed for one pound of garic but got one head, and a precut chunk of whole milk mozzarella labeled $5.99 was rung up at $1.29. Overall we werenā€™t overcharged so I donā€™t care, but I donā€™t understand how things could be rung up so wrong.

2 Likes

New Whole Foods via Amazon Prime discovery - they will deliver fresh goods to me on a Sunday. I am 28 miles away from a Whole Foods.

5 Likes

Definitely check out Local Express. If the store has pickup, there are no delivery fees or tips. My local store has contactless curbside pickup, an employee comes out and puts it in the trunk.