Instacart versus Amazon Prime Now versus Mercato

Our shopper yesterday just randomly purchase 3 packs of turkey (!) bacon and listed as a substitution. I called Ralphs/Kroger to inform them of the issue. The agent took one look at my shopping list (which had no bacon listed as “out of stock” at all b/c I hadn’t ordered any bacon) and refunded the $. Thankfully, a neighbor wanted the bacon; it would’ve gone to waste otherwise, b/c Ralphs isn’t accepting returns.

Other than that, we’ve been pretty happy w/ Ralphs delivery. Just make sure that the “no substitutions” box is checked for the overall order and ask for text updates (shopper will generally ask run substitutes by you if you ask for text updates, even if you check no-substitutions).

BTW, does creating a Ralphs account automatically create an Instacart account? All of my orders show up under my Ralphs account, but Instacart shows nothing.

1 Like

Apparently it doesn’t. We did both Ralphs and Costco orders directly through their sites. Then an Instacart shopper told me that it works more smoothly through their app. I downloaded the app but our past orders don’t show there.

I’m still in lockdown mode and I have to say I love Yummy. I just got my first order and it was a complete breeze, unlike Amazon Prime Now or Instacart.

All I wanted was a few 12 packs of La Croix for my stockpile. Amazon Prime/Whole Foods would only sell me a maximum of two 12-packs, which wasn’t enough for a minimum order (and plus if I was going to the trouble of delivery, I wanted to restock for awhile). Instacart is a nightmare because you have to search stores one by one for what you want – no way I know of on Instacart to search across all stores until you find the store that has in stock what you want. Plus Instacart is now not only imposing a $35 minimum but you have to order five “unique” products – i.e., you can just order $35 of the same variety of something.

Yummy no problems at all, was able to order just the La Croix and didn’t have to fill out my cart with other stuff that I didn’t really need or want, and here within an hour. I am officially a Yummy convert!

2 Likes

@Omotesando: have you considered buying a Soda Stream and flavoring with citrus or whatever fruit juice you like?

We used to have an expensive La Croix habit, but Soda Stream completely freed us. If you like that dry, sharp carbonation that La Croix has, you can get really close with Soda Stream because you can carbonate to your taste. That is, you can choose to carbonate only slightly or carbonate heavily.

1 Like

I don’t see that. I put a $50 bottle of Champagne in my cart and it was happy to let me check out.

I’m scheduling an Instacart order first thing every Tuesday morning. Typically put the order in on Friday and add items through Monday night. I select a specific replacement or “do not replace” for each item. So far it has been going quite smoothly.

May be a Southern California thing, but that’s the message I get from Instacart. Or the minimum here is $35 – maybe if you are at $50, they waive the 5 unique item requirement. But here Instacart will definitely not let you check out with $35 of the same product.

Thanks. Will definitely look into this. I actually like the La Croix plain so I wouldn’t need to flavor it with anything. I do like what you call that “sharp” taste of La Croix. I tried Perrier carbonated water in cans recently when Instacart wouldn’t deliver La Croix plain and the Perrier just didn’t have the same taste.

2 Likes

I just put eight of the same item in my cart, total just over $35, no problem checking out. Removed one item and the checkout button was disabled.

Maybe it’s store-specific? Though I can’t imagine why a store or Instacart would care.

I get this stupid advisory that due to high demand or something like that, you have to order five unique items. I never saw this pre-pandemic. But I’m over Instacart – Yummy all the way!

1 Like

Thank you!!! I have a Soda Stream and have been struggling to describe how the carbonation differs from, say, a Perrier (as @Omotesando mentioned). I was using the term “hard” carbonation, but I think I like your words more.

I personally prefer the softer Perrier carbonation, but I like saving $ even more, so…

2 Likes

That makes sense, especially if you are drinking the beverage with food.

Crisp, dry, sharper carbonation would be better for fried or fatty foods because of that back of the throat “Psst Ahh!” refreshing sensation.
(Sorry for the… borderline description, haha. In Japanese, they have a word for this sensation: nodogoshi. It is used in summer beer commercials.)

Soda Stream is especially interesting for cocktail lovers, because you can match the carbonation level to the cocktail that you are making. One pump of CO2 for light carbonation, five pumps for that nodogoshi sensation.

5 Likes

The Ortiz I get is almost too salty. The leftover oil is tasty & briny. I save it for cooking seafood based dishes.

2 Likes

F-ing hilarious!

Famous last words.

1 Like

At this point, I’m okay with shopping in a store so long as everyone’s wearing masks, but I’m still using Instacart and Costco’s two-day delivery to avoid standing in annoyingly long lines.

Last couple times I went to Costco (in Alhambra) there has been no line to get in and the checkout lines were no more than three customers deep.

I think it’s timing. I went by two Costcos around 1:30 on Friday and they were mobbed. If I really needed to go to one I’d try Tuesday morning.

Finally went into a Costco yesterday. Some price comparisons (in-store / Instacart):

Kiolbasa sausages: 18.79 / 23.85
Kirkland pecans: 11.79 / 14.39
Kirkland tissue: 25.99 / 31.79
Vicolo pizzas: 13.99 / 17.09
whitefish salad: 11.99 / 14.69

So on top of the Instacart charges, everything’s priced 22-27% higher.

3 Likes

Now I know why I never get a receipt.

Damn predators.

I get paper receipts from Instacart for some stores. They show the Instacart price.

I don’t think the charges are unreasonable, but I’d prefer if they just added a service charge so it was transparent.