Instacart versus Amazon Prime Now versus Mercato

Instacart refused my refund request.

I will be VERY glad when I finally get vaccinated.

2 Likes

As you ordered through the Ralphs.com site, @DogbiteWilliams, I would contact Ralphs - they have subcontracted out to Instacart. Itā€™s been through Ralphs that I have been able to get refunds, but itā€™s been a pain.

Iā€™m with you on wanting the vaccine, now!

2 Likes

Thanks, Elsie.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a new one. I spent the usual silly amount of time trying to find things to get my Prime Now order up to $35 for free delivery. Finally go to check out and it says ā€œNo delivery windows available. New windows are released throughout the day.ā€ No option to choose tomorrow.

1 Like

Kept trying back, eventually got some delivery windows and accidentally selected 10pm to midnight tonight. Wonā€™t let me cancel.

At least Amazon doesnā€™t show me a message telling me how much time Iā€™ve saved.

2 Likes

That is funny/sad, Robert.

1 Like

Had the same experience with Prime Now in NYC about three weeks ago. Also presented no option to choose the following day. At least if Instacart is busy, they let you schedule for the following day.

1 Like

Iā€™ve called 1-2 Kroger about a screw-up order, and both times it worked out okay. So, @DogbiteWilliams, not sure if youā€™ve tried to call yet, but I would def recommend that.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I used Whole Foods curbside pickup through primenow.com for the first time. Worked great. Parked in one of the reserved spaces, checked in with the app to let them know which space Iā€™d parked in, an employee came right out and put the bags in the trunk. No delivery charge, no gig workers.

There would have been a $5 pickup fee if Iā€™d wanted it ASAP. I chose a free pickup time 90 minutes later, but my order was ready to pick up in less than 15 minutes anyway.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve changed my opinion about Mercato delivery. I had a nightmare time with them during the lockdown. Long story somewhere up thread. But Iā€™ve been using them for deliveries from Standingā€™s Butchery and it couldnā€™t be easier. Same day delivery - ordered about 30 minutes ago and theyā€™ll be here in about an hour. :smiley:

4 Likes

We got a new kid in townā€¦ LOCALE!

Locale is a start up from the Bay Area, they are similar to Good Eggs (which I hear rumours maybe coming back? Weā€™ll seeā€¦) in that they focus on local purveyors. They have only been delivering for about a month and their line up is smallā€¦ but they got some really good vendors signed up alreadyā€¦ Pasta Sistersā€¦ yes. Tartineā€¦ yes. Burritos la Palma YES!YES!YES!!!

Every Friday they drive around L.A. delivering boxes of whatever you order, you can order as much or as little as you like for $5.

I was going to be home all day, so I let them come by when they couldā€¦ they did not just leave the boxā€¦ but actually hand delivered it! So lovely!

I was so happy to get my orderā€¦ I love Subscription boxes, and this had that vibe. Opened it up and saw all my items so nicely packedā€¦ a mini cooler for the fish and schmear I orderedā€¦

And the Haul!

I got Bagels and Schmear from Wise Bros. I liked that they didnā€™t come Frozenā€¦ that I could have had a bagel then and there!

Chicken Empanada from Portosā€¦ They carry some Portos itemsā€¦ but no potato balls of cheese rolls (I guess it would compete with Portoā€™s own mail order businessā€¦) but I love these empanadasā€¦ the crust is wonderfully biscuity! Great treat to accompany a nice salad!

Produce from the Ecology Center! My favorite stuffā€¦ blue berries, butter lettuce and avocados. I will say, I think one of the avocados is over ripeā€¦ but Iā€™ll see when I split into it.

Sourdough Rosemary Focaccia from Hasi Bakery. Some folks have cookies and oatmilk as an evening night snackā€¦ I have Focaccia and tea. Itā€™s super good with the tang of the sourdough but the olive oil goodness of the Focaccia. You get a really nice slab tooā€¦ enough to cut off a nice snacking hunkā€¦ and then still have a nice size for a sammich the next day.

ā€“ Burritos La Palma Burrito Tortillasā€¦ yesā€¦ their wonderful tortillas! I wish they carried a smaller size (I get the taco ones from Saraā€™s market when I can get over there and I love them!!) But breakfast burritos will be had tomorrow!

Finallyā€¦ Beer Money Fish Co. Local Halibut. Iā€™m not a huge seafood fanā€¦ but I LOVE Halibut. I canā€™t wait to have this with some Charmoula. SO YUM.

I mention the Halibut last because I ordered two portionsā€¦ but as I was gleeing about opening my boxā€¦ I opened the little cooler bag and saw only one 6oz portion. The delivery guy was long gone and they had just sent me an e-mail sayingā€¦ Your order was delivered! As you guys knowā€¦ I come from the retail food business and am still in Marketing. Iā€™ve had customers SAVE ME with their complaints. Iā€™m a huge believer in giving folks the opportunity to make it right. So I sent off an e-mail right after I discovered this, telling I was shorted and that I would accept either credit back or to the site (I already was plotting my next order). This was to the general order e-mail that my receipt came from. 30 minutes laterā€¦ I got an email from the Head of Finance (he is a big reason they are in L.A. because heā€™s based here) saying that he would drop off my missing piece TODAY. And he personally did. I was so happy to have my fish, but just blown away in how they responded the accountability THEY tookā€¦ I have willingly taken customer service classes from Shep himself and this is the exact example in efforts that must be made as you get startedā€¦ BRAVO.

This week they added Langers and Copenhagen Bakery (Princess cake!). They rotate vendors and items week to week. I loved this, but since it is a bit pricy, Iā€™ll probably just do it once a monthā€¦ but still, itā€™s a nice way to get your pantry and dinner plans going for the weekend/week.

10 Likes

I just got my delivery from Locale yesterday and was quite pleased! I ordered Burritos La Palma and they were nicely packed in a refrigerated bag with ice packs, inside the big Locale box. The sell four-packs of either birria or bean & cheese for $18 and come with salsa. Compared to the obscene prices on Goldbelly (8 pack for $79), this was a bargain!

Look forward to hearing how the halibut was! I was considering it for a future order.
Processing: IMG_8334.jpegā€¦

5 Likes

Yes!! Their prices are totally in line with that I pay for retail at Saraā€™s. Sadly Saraā€™s is closed on Sunday and I just canā€™t get over there most of the time! So Iā€™m thrilled to have this option. Also, the price of a lb of Pastrami from Langers is much cheaper than Goldbelly and slightly cheaper than even Grubhub (They sell 1/2 pound portions)

1 Like

Does Locale carry Wise Sons in LA? In the SF Bay Area they do, but not the rye bread, which is the best Iā€™ve found outside of Langerā€™s. But Farmstead does have it.

I feel dumb. Wtf is the delivery area? I canā€™t find a way to figure this out without inputting full checkout info.

This is vague, but from their LA home page:

locale

@matthewkang I canā€™t find anything on la.eater.com about the LA debut.

They are super responsive on their social so you can ask there. I know they have yet to get up into the Valley. I am floored they were able to service my area (West Adams/Jefferson Park) but I think one of their team lives nearby. I heard it about it from my local FB group.

1 Like

It does carry wise sonsā€¦ but right now Not the Rye bread. Although a completely different beastā€¦ they have carried the full Rye from Copenhagen bakery which is other worldly.