Instacart versus Amazon Prime Now versus Mercato

There is almost nobody ever at Bristol Farms in YL. It’s the store I go to most because of the lack of humans. I’ll pay a little extra for the next month to avoid contact. Their beer section has gotten significantly better too. Steaks are on sale for 30% off this weekend.

3 Likes

Frozen. Or smoked.

1 Like

I read in the Washington Post that Instacart shoppers are calling for a strike on Monday over pay and working conditions (failure to provide safety equipment), so I think Instacart is going to get even harder next week. I understand their concerns. I now have two friends with diagnosed COVID-19.

I’m on Mercato’s email list and they are sending me recipes, all of which sound delicious if only I weren’t off carbs. I’m really liking that company and hoping that something good will come out of it for them post-pandemic.

As to Copper River, maybe I’m getting frozen from last year. They were out of King Copper River so I ordered Sockeye Copper River.

1 Like

If you haven’t already, sign up for their emails, they send great coupons often and during the holidays they have give aways. Since it’s getting harder and harder to find Knudsen Cottage Cheese at my usual stores, I don’t mind going to Bristol for that and some other nicer items they carry. When Surfas was closed, Bristol was a great replacement.

4 Likes

@JRSD no problem this morning at 7:30 a.m. getting Amazon Prime Now delivery spot, so thanks for the tip. Didn’t have a lot of stuff I wanted, but was able to get some of my other staples like unflavored La Croix, my favorite brand dish soap and allegedly some Siggi’s 2% albeit not the 4% I prefer. Coming directly from Amazon warehouse, not Whole Foods. Of course no paper goods or Clorox or Lysol. Surprised so easy to get a delivery spot.

2 Likes

Am I sitting on a goldmine? I’m out of the loop.

I found 6 bottles of Lysol spray too…

7 Likes

Yes!

Where’s YL?

Yorba Linda

I received two orders from Mercato this week (which I learned of through this forum, so thank you!).

I got meats from Standing’s Butchery and fruit, vegetables and dried beans from Farm Fresh Produce. Standing’s was delivered the same day and Farm Fresh Produce was able to be delivered two days after the order. Both arrived within the scheduled hour, which was a welcome surprise, and all the products were well packaged and good quality. Farm Fresh Produce didn’t have one of the items I ordered (green lentils) and called me ahead of time to see if I’d like it substituted or refunded, which I appreciated.

I certainly recommend.

6 Likes

My neighbor just told me that Ralph’s offers delivery directly on their website - no need to go through Instacart. I’m not sure how easy it is to get a delivery slot, but my neighbor says she got a delivery date fairly easily and for toilet paper as well!

Just checked the website myself and they even appear to have some toilet paper and paper towels and eggs as well.

1 Like

I cannot get a delivery time from Ralph’s sadly :sleepy:

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It has been very helpful and educational. I have been passing on pertinent info to friends who are not aware. Hopefully that will help the business and also minimize the number of times they have to venture out.

2 Likes

Tried Mercato. Ordered a bunch of things, entered billing stuff, scheduled delivery for earliest option tomorrow afternoon. Oops, that’s not tomorrow. It’s April 29.

1 Like

Just checked the Eataly website and I see they are offering curbside pick up. Apparently you can order through Instacart but pick up since nobody can get an Instacart delivery date and they will run it to your car. Although it also sounds like you can call them directly and order.

Ooh, eggs and Harry’s strawberries

3 Likes

haha dang!

On Mercato, I figured out how to see when a particular store could fulfill an order, then looked to see whether they had anything I wanted. A butcher store had onions and could deliver this afternoon, so I ordered five pounds of organic red and yellow onions and added a pound and a half of charcuterie to get free delivery.

2 Likes

Another food delivery service, Mercato — along with DoorDash, which makes the deliveries — has announced that it will waive delivery charges for all people 60 years of age or older. The offer will be in effect at least until May 7. When ordering from any of Mercato’s more than 900 affiliated businesses, mostly independent food stores, you have to sign up for the free trial of Mercato Green membership, add the code “OVER60” and then enter your date of birth.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately they have only five stores in my area. Though one of them has toilet paper.

Thanks to the poster here who clued me in that Erewhon was doing delivery. Went on to their website an hour or so and got a delivery slot for late tomorrow morning. They had the 4% Siggi yogurt that no one else seems to have (if you can even get a delivery date and I have not been able to get delivery dates recently on either Amazon Prime now or Instacart), although who knows how many, if any, yogurts will actually be delivered. $75 minimum for delivery so I bought a few other things to round out the order. $20 delivery fee. Debated going there for pickup since there is not a minimum or delivery fee, but decided to let them deliver.

2 Likes