Instacart versus Amazon Prime Now versus Mercato

I don’t know about how things are now, but I did a run of several Erewhon locations, along with Whole Foods, Bristol Farms, etc…

It seemed to me, the atmosphere outside in the Erewhon line was the friendliest and most calm (the Santa Monica location). Inside as well, felt virtually the same as it did before, minus some empty shelves. They had fully stocked their eggs and milk, and it felt relatively safe. Although I would prefer to see staff trying to direct flow of traffic better, the regular clientele was so cautious and well behaved, as if they understood better, not to mention polite. Don’t need to worry about visiting in person, if you don’t like delivery.

Whole Foods had improved the situation with the line. Although more chaotic inside, they were constantly bringing out in demand items from the back. So even if shelves are empty, it seems they have a constant supply, and will work with you to try and find it. A slightly miserable atmosphere however, from how it usually is. One thing I should mention, some of the ‘employed’ (Amazon?) shoppers are a bit careless. When one in particular was looking for a canned sauce, they thought the shelf was empty, and kept on walking assuming it was out of stock. I crouched and saw it way in the back on the bottom shelf. They might be feeling overworked.

Bristol Farms was quite the sight (the Beverly location). At the time I went, no line, despite everyone else in the city having adapted to these standards. Was crowded like a theme park. Salad bar was help yourself as normal, which worried me. When I asked the cashier why are there so many people in here, she replied that this location had the snobbiest most entitled customers, and they won’t stand for having to wait in line to get in, and ignore the rules. If they have Instacart of whatever delivery service, might be best to avoid going in person.

In case you go to any Japanese grocery market, like Mitsuwa, you might find the rice shelves to be empty. Generally, everything is fully back in stock. Don’t know how I feel about lining up for Nijiya Market though. I don’t even know if any of these places do a delivery system.

5 Likes

I placed an Instacart order for hard to find disinfectant wipes at Erewhon five days ago on a Monday. Paid for them and scheduled pick up (no delivery available) for Saturday. Then I receive an email (not even a text) that the order has been cancelled due to the item not being available.

We had scheduled an entire half day of pickups to drive across town to get them.

I don’t think Instacart works for me though I know it works for others.

The trick is to order Erewhon through the Erewhon website directly, not through Instacart. I ordered yesterday and it arrived promptly this morning. There is a hefty $20 delivery fee, but you actually get a quick delivery date. And everything I ordered except one thing arrived and I ordered tons of Siggi’s 4% yogurt which I haven’t been able to find anywhere else. In fact, I now have enough Siggi’s to last for months – I was inspired by an article I read a couple of months ago by a guy who decided to live large and completely ignore expiration dates on packaging and he found everything tasted fine. So I’m of the belief that sealed yogurt lasts for at least six months, if not more. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@chewchow, there have been recent sightings/reports of the 5 pack Clorox wipes being back in stock at local Costcos, call first though as Costco online still says sold out.

2 Likes

Post expiry date is probably fine. But might want to smell it first… :smile:

1 Like

When last I looked on Amazon, the Clorox Disinfecting Wipes were not available and “Prioritized for hospitals and government agencies directly responding to COVID-19 in the U.S.”

1 Like

I walked by my neighbor’s house a while ago. In front of her door: about a wheel barrel’s worth of paper towels, and a trunk load of Clorox/Lysol disinfecting wipes. Was quite a sight.

Rob her.

3 Likes

Probably not in my best interests :sweat_smile:

Just illustrates how everything is disappearing from stock shelves, with big delivery orders like these. I think the sanitary wipes were from 3 separate companies.

@CiaoBob, I see that online but definitely had the 5 pack Clorox wipes in my local Costco Sunday. The availability is unpredictable so best to check first.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We’ll probably resort to doing a baby wipe/disinfectant concentrate hack if it comes to that.

Timing is important. To get first crack at it, maybe you need to be there shortly after they unload the truck and pallet.

I walked by an employee stocking toilet paper at Bristol Farms who looked at me and said, “Get it while it’s hot!” I thanked him and kept walking. Just can’t play that game.

1 Like

Mercato is still screwy around here. It showed me that delivery was available this afternoon, but after I finished shopping and checked out, the first available delivery date was next week. It still shows that delivery is available this afternoon.

Re toilet paper, there’s plenty available in the commercial supply chain.

3 Likes

Illuminating article, thanks robert

Albertson’s (and by extension, Vons, Ralphs, and Pavillions, I’ve tried them all) pick up was disappointing. Half of items were not available. I waited 45 minutes for my order to be brought out to the car, but watched as two other cars were loaded and left within 15 minutes of their arrival. I decided it was better to just go in to the store and chance it with a mask.

This strategy is obviously not practical for everything or for things like wipes that are in extremely short supply, but since I have not been able to get delivery dates from Instacart or Amazon and since I don’t feel like venturing out to Whole Foods which carries some of the things that are my staples (especially since my usual staples might not even currently be in stock), I have been taking to our friend Google to source what I need.

I’m addicted to one brand of olive oil which only Whole Foods carries and on which I am running low. No problem – Google the brand – and find it at Market Hall Foods in Oakland. Click and buy and its on its way faster than I could ever get a delivery date from Amazon Prime Now or Instacart. Another one of my staples is frozen cranberries and Whole Foods is the only place I know that carries them year round. Turn to Google again and a 5 pound box of frozen cranberries (which I will definitely go through since I eat them every day) is on its way directly from the bogs of Massachusetts where they are grown.

Deeply happy about both the olive oil and the cranberries. In times of such tragedy and uncertainty, it feels calming and luxurious to be able to have my favorite staples in the house.

7 Likes

FYI we got a large proportion of our Ralph’s delivery order today. Only didn’t get milk and sweet potatoes. This of course meant that I have spent the last hour and a half cleaning the groceries.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Avoiding infection from food & grocery deliveries

Clicking through Instacart looking for someplace that can actually deliver some of the things we need before next week, I came across this store I’ve never heard of that had a bizarre selection of products . Took me a couple of minutes to figure out that the address was Instacart’s offices. I guess some developer accidentally made a test public.

2 Likes

Just got delivery of my first Mercato test run. Wow. I feel like I won the lottery. I ordered organic eggs and milk, some produce and cheese, some pantry staples, all from a single market (I’ll branch out next time) and I got every single thing I ordered. Okay, the shopper got snow peas instead of snap peas :grin: and I even got baking potatoes that I didn’t order, but mashed potatoes are sounding pretty good right now!

I really LOVE that I can check my order online and see what the shopper successfully located even before I take delivery. And she was good enough to call me about a substitution.

This is in stark contrast to a Target order I recently placed. I got maybe 1/3 of what I ordered and no contact from the shopper about substitutions.

So thanks, FTCers, for the Mercato recommendation!

3 Likes