Interesting new "Roman" place in Burbank - Gourmet Romano

Just opened up a few weeks back - they bill themselves as having Roman inspired pizza, but they’re individual pizzas and not the “cut to order” like the ones from Triple Beam. They proudly boast about their crust.

Anyone have an idea how authentic this place is? Guys in the back are probably from Italy. Based on my 1 visit, seems like the place has potential.

http://www.gourmetromano.com/

Mortadella sandwich w/ undercarriage shot.

4 Likes

How was the sandwich? And why didn’t you order a pizza?

I can find pizza anywhere but I’ve been eyeballing you FTC assholes eating the Pasta Sisters mortadella sandwich for months, so I had to have one.

It was fine if a little salty. I don’t have anything to compare it to besides “the sandwich” from Roma and I preferred what I had today over the sandwich. Thus my overall assessment of “has potential”

1 Like

That neighborhood has sure changed (and gotten more interesting dining-wise) a lot since I left it. Food looks good.
Prices at this Romano place are rather high for lunch…$15 for lunch is a bit steep for a the non-managerial entertainment folks who work in the neighborhood.

Website strongly suggests they’re making pinsa, though they don’t call it that.

$15 is about par these days for that area. If I want cheaper sandwiches gotta eat at the Comm or Jersey Mike’s.

Source: I eat a lot of $15+ sandwiches

2 Likes

Supplí!! Yum!! I might have to break the low carb plan and get a few hundred of those !

Thanks for the tip!!

Btw, these guys are indeed Italian. Only they would call potato chips “potatoes chip” :wink:

The supplì look legìt.

1 Like

Wait what? How did I miss this? What comes on the Pasta Sisters version?

(Dat sandwich looks amazing btw)

Hi @Bigmouth,

I posted about it here.

In Search of Lunchtime Pasta, from Disappointing to Excellent - Knead & Co., Pasta Sisters, Cento Pasta Bar, Bulgarini, Factory Kitchen and Drago Centro - #190 by Chowseeker1999

1 Like

Just mortadella and bread

1 Like

So yeah that pizza was pretty amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever had crust quite like this - definitely gets it right in the texture department.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info! So is it worth a try?

I think it’s worth a try one time, but I also try just about everything once if it looks good or people on FTC are raving about it. Would I get it every time? Probably not.

2 Likes

Hi @Bigmouth,

It was simple and tasty; worth a try once I think. If you’re in the mood for more of an Italian sandwich (with multiple cuts of meat, etc.), there are better options.

1 Like

I went back today - it’s crave worthy for me. More importantly, they have a banging lunch special - margherita pizza (the same one pictured above that costs $11.99) + a big ol’ mixed green salad for $8. It’s easily the best lunch deal for people in the area.

I want this place to survive but they’ve been open a few weeks now and I was the only customer for the first 30 minutes of lunch rush. They are definitely Italian.

2 Likes

The calzone lunch special. It’s $8.70 after tax - I just feel guilty at this price. image

3 Likes

That’s a steal in that neighborhood. I would’ve taken them up on that offer.

I understand Italian portion sizes now.

Was this tasty? Yes. Am I still hungry? Yes. Was it worth $20 after t/t? No.

Some other pics:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Leo and Pasta Sisters portions are bigger than that.

1 Like