Iron Teapot - New Dim Sum in Westside (Palms)

wow, buy it before you try it

They are calling it a ā€œholding depositā€ so I presume it is designed to discourage ā€œno showsā€ and will either be applied to the cost of your meal or refundedā€¦though the e-mail did not specify either. Maybe it is just a very high ā€œtea and sauce charge.ā€

1 Like

To me, this approach is a turnoff. Itā€™s a soft opening, for peteā€™s sakeā€¦ But again, Iā€™ll let their food do the talking, so I plan go try it after their grand opening.

3 Likes

Agreed, if they can get that money then by all means more power to them. But on a personal level that makes it much more of a wait and see proposition for myself.

I got an e-mail advising that it is still in soft-opening mode but no longer charging the deposit (apparently, there were some glitches with it not crediting back). So now free to reserve for the Beta testing.

1 Like

Yes thank you - I got the same email. I think itā€™s this is the restauranteurā€™s first outing. Like Iā€™ve said, I think Iā€™ll wait til their grand openā€¦

Lots of pics on Yelp now.

https://yelp.to/c6ey0WOG2gb

da fuk is dis?

1 Like

I tried the orange one a few weeks ago during a group brunch ā€” itā€™s mango pudding.

Iā€™m guessing the white one is almond jello?

1 Like

I went a few weeks ago with a group to have brunch.

For west of 405, Iron Tea Pot Dim Sum & Bar, is a cut above Dim Sum House on Westwood and if they can get consistent on all aspects, prolly better than Palace Seafood in Brentwood (re: dim sum).

However, in terms of the menu depth and scale, kitchen/cook staff, and venue size it is NOT a match for Capital Seafood in Beverly Hills.

Also, it doesnā€™t have a dedicated parking lot or garage so I canā€™t imagine FTC ballers going there parking at street meters on Venice Blvd. with posh cars (not an issue for me with my old bucket of a car thoā€™).

I canā€™t recommend it to dim sum traditionalists on this board, but I intend on going back solo because of location and contemporary vibe.

My prediction is, if they can fine tune their vegan and impossible meat versions of traditional dim sum, etc., they can grow quite a following there including those who abstain from pork. If they set up a quick and efficient curbside pickup system, they can do well with takeout.

Doubtful, but if I ever have to host a dim sum event for vegetarians, vegans or pork abstainers, ITPDS would be the place to go once they smooth out the kinks in execution, and POS issues.

Service was actually quite nice, albeit with English speakers who are still getting acquainted with the cuisine. At least itā€™s not the typical robotic and sometimes hostile-seeming service I get in SGV.

I will try it again in 4-7 months and report back.

11 Likes

Bumping to see if there are any updates. Based on Yelp the service issues seem to persist even now.

No problem. Chauncey stays with the car while I eat.

3 Likes

We ate here twice. Food is so terrible that my kids (6 and 8) say ā€œEven the water is bad thereā€ every time we ā€œthreatenā€ to take them back.

4 Likes

Yikes

That means Maybach-only for you. Non-Bugatti territory.

1 Like

Not mutually exclusive.

Sorry to hear that happened to you and your family @greenr

Based on your report and my initial visit on May 31, Iā€™m definitely not going back.

I also tried Fifty One Kitchen in Culver City for its dim sum and Beijing sauce pork ribs and was not satisfied with the taste (more thoughts to come on Fifty One Kitchen in the other thread).