Is there such a thing as high end Korean with lots of veg options?

for a work thing

Strict vegetarian, as in no meat or fish in the broth, or shrimp in the kimchi?

We have 2 vegetarians but they’ll have seafood and meat broth. So I think any good place will work? Guess i’m thinking Gwang Yang

Genwa is another good option. Wouldn’t be my first or even top 10 choices in Ktown, but their diversity of menu hits the mark for what you’re looking for.

1 Like

We’ve done probably 15 work dinners there starting with when they opened. Private rooms are perfect

Maybe Yong Su San?

Private room at Gwang Yang works too.

1 Like

Yes, in New York City: Atoboy, On, Kawi,

oh wait this is LA. Park’s BBQ??? Genwa is a solid choice too.

Why is it that nyc has better high-end Korean than la?!

Parachute in Chicago is also supposed to be good, although my friend was slightly underwhelmed.

I guess DANDI pop up is as close to high end Korean we have here.

NY has nothing like Majordomo.

1 Like

LA doesn’t really do high end all that well. Some of the recent additions are nice (Somni, Hayato, Vespertine) but LA will never compete with SF or NY on the high end of the spectrum.

3 Likes

Which is fine, honestly. It feels like a pop-up in all the worst ways.

I miss Seoul Jung!!

1 Like

I don’t know that that’s true, especially given Majordomo, but one big difference is that in LA the scene is defined more by Koreans and Korean-Americans. Which is why New York has nothing like Yongsusan. Also, LA went a decade without the the pernicious influence of Michelin, and its preeminent restaurant critic in that time knew a several orders of magnitude more about Korean food than his counterparts in NYC.

Majordomo is Korean?

4 Likes

… and I would add that many of us in L.A. are perfectly cool with that. Less ennui and more random mini-mall brilliance here, I say.

4 Likes

Few high-end restaurants in the US stick to a single traditional cuisine. Most mix up French and Japanese with some other influences.

Some of the dishes I’ve had at Majordomo were straight-up Korean, like the black cod with daikon, or the crispy pork belly with gochujang, pickles, rice, and lettuce wraps. Others have strong Korean influences, like the plate rib with Chang’s mom’s marinade and its side dishes, or the fried rice served in a hot iron pot a la dolsot bibimbap. Others don’t come out of the Korean tradition at all, like the spicy pork bing, or the other version of black cod I had this summer, which was straight-up Japanese.

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/e/2/e201ca96028079e3cdb006120d0430ab619c04bf.jpg

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/a/a/aa80d321d5eb3cbc4b65c67316e3d69f12e0c022.jpeg

1 Like