January 2020 Rundown

Happy New Year, FTC!

7 Likes
2 Likes

Had a salad for lunch but decided to supplement w/ some leftovers from yesterday’s dinner at Belle Vie (which was delicious, but far too overwhelmingly rich and fatty). Pictured are duck, brie w/ truffles, and potatoes. I just had a little bit of the cheese today. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Korean Dumpling Soup

Traditional food for New Years Day at Jang Mo Gip aka Mother N Law Kimchi

2 Likes

Maybe this isn’t right thread, but decided to eat noodles as first meal of 2020. Cao lau noodles with a stash Grandma Ly brought back from Vietnam for us. Wondering why some entrepreneurial types haven’t made this unique dish happen state side yet (Rose VL pdx only spot I know…thanks @chrishei)

12 Likes

Day of dumplings:

Old school Cantonese dim sum for lunch, scallion pancakes and XLB at a dumpling shop for dinner

7 Likes

Terrific NY Day lunch at Xiang La Hui香辣汇
(https://www.yelp.com/biz/xiang-la-hui香辣汇-alhambra)

Sichuan notes were all spot on.
No pics, sorry.
Dan Dan Mein was one of the best preps I have had in ages.
Twice Cooked Pork, Water Boiled (green) fish filet, Chong Qing Fried chicken, Fried Cabbage, Sichuan Green Beans, Cold Spicy Chicken (not much meat…but that sauce), all great.

8 Likes

Went to Mercado last night. You know, despite being a chain now, the food is quite good. There aren’t a lot of places in LA where you can get a better carnitas plate–tender, rich, and served with delicious blue corn tortillas and a side of al pastor seasoned cauliflower. Also, while pricey, you are somewhat paying for the scene and atmosphere. If the right comparison for Mercado is Javier’s (as opposed to Carnitas el Momo), then I think Mercado absolutely blows its competition out of the water in terms of quality and value.

One other bonus–it’s one of the rare places where the jalapeno margarita is actually spicy.

5 Likes

lunch bang bang

zhengyalov hatz - soft, chewy, pliant bread + juicy mixed herb city = good snack…it would be nice if i can add some protein in there to kick things up a notch

paxlava - just like a baklava but i could be wrong? pleasantly sweet with layers of phyllo and crunch from chopped nuts

when did din tai fung takeout packaging become so fancy??

red bean, sesame, chocolate mochi - excellent fillings for them smooth, chewy, elastic steamed mochi

10 Likes

Santa Monica?

Yep. Though I think there are a number of locations now, I like the Santa Monica one.

1 Like

Went to Yummy Cafe in Walnut but they’re temporarily closed. Boo hiss.

Consolation first visit to Ruby BBQ. Very glad of the recommendation from you guys!

9 Likes

Late night run at the tire shop taqueria. I’m hooked!

15 Likes

Spicy beef brisket and tendon noodles for lunch (Queen House, Mountain View)

Barolo 2015 & Margherita, a trio of gelato: coffee, Yuzu vanilla, spiced cookie (Pausa, San Mateo)

Angler SF last night

10 Likes

Jon and vinnys serving up great renditions of classic American Italian fare

7 Likes

Young king our favorite Korean Chinese place. Jjm not pictured was a little watery tho

7 Likes

What is in the bowl at Angler?

Smoked abalone (essence) custard.

2 Likes

I went last night too…it really is the best in LA…it’s insane

1 Like

Nailed it! :joy:

@J_L’s uni mazemen at Iki Ramen, and my attempt. Such delicious noodles.

11 Likes