January 2020 Rundown

I’m guessing the GG location. In Artesia, there are tanks so you can see the fresh crab or lobster available. @PorkyBelly did indicate he thought he got frozen crab.

For those that aren’t aware, that’s made from the famous recipe of the late, great, Blum’s of SF.

3 Likes

the kitchen was full of hispanics so it’s possible a sergio was in the house

the original

9 Likes

Lunch at I-Naba. Heavenly sashimi platter. Went with my favorite ume shiso soba. My only tempura order this time was gobo burdock. Table enjoyed the tempura pumpkin and onion.

12 Likes

Pollo A La Brasa Vermont
Half chicken with fries and beans/tortillas. The chicken was good with a few dry white pieces. Nice kiss of smoke. Loved the crispy bits of skin and everything is good with the aji. Fries are reminiscent of In n Out but better somehow. Beans had a nice flavor. Tortillas were fine. Good vehicle to make chicken, fry, bean and aji wrap.

Side of plantains. Best plantains I’ve had in forever. Cooked to order. Took a few minutes longer than the chicken plate but well worth it. Perfect consistency. I don’t like them mushy but they need a little give. Delicious.

11 Likes

Fat and Flour!!

Banana Cream Pie

Final bite! Dried Banana Garnish

7 Likes

I almost went to inaba for lunch today. Looks great.

3 Likes

Dave’s Hot Chicken (North Hollywood)
The coworkers decided on this lunch destination. Picked up the mild tenders combo. The tenders were moist and seasoned well. There was a nudge of heat and the coating wasn’t too thick. The crinkle cut fries were crispy and I’m pretty sure that their version of HR comeback sauce is being served with the food. It wasn’t too shabby…but am I impressed enough to come back? Maybe…so long as I’m not driving or planning this adventure. A couple of folks tried the reaper…and said that it packs a wallop.
Needless to say, this has inspired me to contact HR to use one of my banked fast passes.

5 Likes

Finally got Modo Hawaii donuts at Mitsuwa. No line (and 20% off moving sale this weekend, not on donuts). Tried the coconut sugar. Delicious.

7 Likes

braved the line at Arsicault in SF

croissant - superbly flaky and airy with a delicately sweet and nutty buttery flavor. it was like eating a flakey cloud if there’s such a thing. in fact, it was so good that i lined up again the next day for another croissant!

super delicate and stretchy

kouign amann - another outstanding pastry. love the crunch-chewy texture…

per @beefnoguy’s suggestion, went to Marco Polo Italian Ice Cream in SF that specializes in eclectic asian flavors

durian and green tea - lovely stuff but the waffle cone was very weak

11 Likes

Next time you go Arsicault, please try the almond croissant and also ham & cheese (blows away the version done by Bouchon Bakery). I remember going to Arsicault around 1 pm on Saturday, shorter line and there were still croissants coming out of the oven. Also did a side by side of Arsicault with local favorite Jane The Bakery (claimed by a local circulation to be #1 croissant in the city), and it was really no contest. Hands down Arsicault for the layers and wonderful flakey textures (like Golden Gate Bakery in its heyday).

I never do cones at Marco Polo but thanks for letting us know the cone is no es bueno! Did you try a taste of their black sesame? That’s one of my top favorites, very rich and a good consolation prize for not having half decent Cantonese black sesame dessert soup in the area (Golden Island Cafe is just ok at best on Noriega Street)

2 Likes

ha! thanks for the reminder that i inhaled it. sublime.

yes i did! rich and nutty but slightly too sweet.

4 Likes

Did bang x bang x bang with some out of town guests. Not much more needs to said about these trusted spots

Holbox

Tireshop

Leo’s

14 Likes

My first move is to plop all that delicious chicken on the fries so they are engulfed in marinade and chicken juices. Thanks for the intel on the plantains, I have never ordered them.

3 Likes

I have real consistency issues with this dish. It’s about 50/50 for me where it’s either great or terrible. When it’s bad there’s barely any meat or it’s overfried to being kinda burnt. Maybe it’s when I’m going? Usually either 11am on the weekend or after 2 on weekdays.

:joy:

1 Like
  • consistently the best kouign amann I’ve had can be found at B Patisserie in SF
  • excellent strawberry-coconut macaron and mango kouign amann
  • meh pepperoni pizza roll and croissant

7 Likes

Excellent banging

1 Like

Okay, thank you for reading my mind. I was just about to ask this question. Who does what better?

OMG! :weary: Please stop.