January 2020 Rundown

Oliboli Donuts does not get enough love. They make the donuts to order which gives them a huge advantage. Not in the least bit greasy or heavy. Peanut butter n jam on top. Could use a touch more peanut butter flavor but the jam is delicious and not overly sweet. The second best pbnj donut ever. The best is Doughnut Plant in NYC. Regular glazed on the bottom. My son inhaled the donut and said it is way better than Krispy Kreme.

Always concerns me that I’m usually the only person in the shop.

10 Likes

Chinese Laundry/Live Noodz @Smorgasburg

Really enjoyed the texture of the fresh hand-pulled noodles. I enjoyed the spicy one with some nice oily depth (but could add more kick with their fresh peppers), and thought the leek noodles were a touch salty

The duck was awesome! The meat was succulent and flavorul, and the skin was crispy in a papery way

PSA in general the noodles are vegan unless you add duck (of course) or get the duck broth noodles

Tuscan Son
First time here based on y’all’s reports - nice homey casual place that’s great for tasty and reasonably healthy meals in a pinch

CNY dim sum at Capital Seafood in Beverly Hills
@J_L we were there Saturday for lunch - did we end up overlapping??

For the most part I really enjoy the short drive and their dim sum. Those scallion and shrimp dumplings are the bomb. Har gow wrappers are kinda thick however. Always gotta get my golden lava bun fix!

Original Gourmet Kebob
Random food truck - the lamb chops were pretty decent; I ordered med-rare and got rare which might scare some off :slight_smile: image|666x500

Republique
Had dinner here a couple years ago and wasn’t impressed, but recently went for a group dinner and really loved it, so we sneak in on the occasional early weekend evening to sit at the bar these days. Tagine and the quail below.

First time at Tsujita Ramen in quite a while. The tsukemen is still solid, and I gotta say that I’m impressed with their consistency over time; other places seem to go downhill.

13 Likes

If you’re in the mood for not-healthy, try some of their pastries (which are quite good). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the first I have heard of Oliboli (https://www.oliboli.com/).
Donuts fried to order? Or just fillings/toppings to order?

that’s black and blue!

agree

1 Like

i know what you mean. i usually go when they first open and it’s almost always empty. i also agree that they are underrated.

1 Like

Both. They have donuts on display for viewing purposes only. Once you order they fry up the donuts and top/glaze them. It takes ~5 minutes for each order but I think its well worth the time. They specialize in a nice doughy yeasty donut. I don’t recall ever ordering or eating a cake donut.

4 Likes

That sounds awesome. But… then I wonder… how do they handle proofing?
Wouldn’t doing this result in either underproofed/overproofed donuts?

Apollonia!

Guanciale

Pepperoni

Bottom

Edge

Cheesy separates! Final Bite!

15 Likes

I’m not knowledgable enough about baking to answer that question. It would be difficult to judge the daily volume of donuts which might end up in the under/over proofing you mention. Maybe the 40 hour proofing gives them a lot more wiggle room?

Our 40 hour yeast dough with 30% Hard Winter Wheat stone-milled flour makes for a classic melt in your mouth fried dough that serves as a perfectly pillowy foundation for glazes, jams, puddings and just about everything and anything chef Brooke can dream up!

2 Likes

Yeah, I my only knowledge about baking comes from The Great British Baking Show. I guess it works for pizza doughs, so why not donuts?

Whatever the case, I will be making a detour to Tustin next time I am headed south.
Thanks for putting it on my radar!

Question: every single picture I take of food on my phone is terrible. Do you folks have tips on how to take non-awful photos on a phone?

2 Likes

A few months ago I tried Bulgarini for the first time and was very disappointed. Pleased to say that on my second time, it was much, much better. Sicilian almond and pear sorbet truly hit the spot. I’m now over in Altadena all the time so I suspect I’ll be going a lot. The texture on the almond was still a little thicker than I like for gelato (I still prefer Bacio di Latte), but the flavor was really excellent. Can’t wait to have more.

1 Like

If you go in the evening ask Leo to pair the gelato with a splash of wine. It does amazing things.

1 Like

That is beautiful Detroit pizza!

1 Like

This place sounds amazing, thanks for posting about it!

Tangential, but the Farm to Taber podcast has a fascinating episode comparing flow manufacturing with batch and queue using donuts as an example:
https://www.farmtotaber.com/episodes/2018/5/11/donut-science-cars-grassfed-beef

I didn’t learn how Duck Donuts makes it’s products a la minute but it certainly answered some questions I had about agriculture and car manufacturing

1 Like

That burger to bun ratio is a crime

2 Likes

Get a better phone?

1 Like

Myung In Dumplings — Northridge.

Passed by this a few weeks ago and wondered if it was the same Myung In as on Olympic Blvd in Koreatown.

Well, it is.

Interesting enough, this location had fried chicken.

But not being so hungry, We only got a couple of things.

Spicy Shrimp Dumplings
These were MUCH spicier than the ones we get on Olympic. I liked them much better. Wifey is much more sensitive and couldn’t get past the first one. Unlike Olympic these were not nearly as overly steamed. Much more flavor texture was good and of course more heat :fire:

Pan Fried Dumpling
Again, I like these better than the ones I get at their Koreatown location.

The other tables, occupied by Koreans, were both eating the fried chicken, so next time. Maybe I’ll bang bang with Chick-Fil-A down the street LOL

Myung In Dumplings
19520 Nordhoff St, Ste 4
Northridge, CA 91324

6 Likes

Possibly! I booked the entire seating area on the bar side for my party, away from the main dining room. Bummer we didn’t get to meet. Yeah those scallion shrimp dumplings were off the chain, right?!

1 Like