January 2020 Rundown

Its not just Mexico. After my father died this is what my stepmother used the oven for…

4 Likes

Zacatecas, Hawthorne.

Bacon wrapped cheese stuffed shrimp

Carnitas

7 Likes

Been meaning to try this place forever, how does it compare to Salsa and Beer? And how bad is the wait usually?

Went to Goto@Silog at 2:30 on Sunday, it was packed. I guess everyone’s trying to make it in before they close at 3 now. Got to try the canton guisado, basically the Filipino version of chow mein. It’s more salty and garlicky, and is a little bit sour. Went great with sisig.

2 Likes

Rarely any wait but usually I’m there early (Not to be confused with “Mi Zacatecas” in the same shopping center as Chubby Rice — just making sure)

Other than the salsa served with the chips, it doesn’t compare to Salsa & Beer which is still one of my favorites, well NoHo is.

2 Likes

Phnom Penh Noodle Shack, Long Beach.

Since the 80’s, this restaurant has been known as the place to go for Cambodian breakfast. This visit was able to sample the combination seen on many tables during previous meals here: long deep-fried bread sticks known as cha quai ($1.25 each) paired with one of seven kinds of rice porridge.

Sometimes spelled cha kway and direct descendants of Chinese youtiao, the Noodle Shack’s versions of these are unbelievably soft and fluffy with a slight crisp on the outside.

Don’t pass up spending a quarter on a side of condensed milk, which makes for a calorie-filled sweet dip that seems like a match made in heaven.

The most popular combination is of course one of the restaurant’s rice porridges. Having a bowl of this and a stick of cha kway is like being transported back to Phnom Penh, the only things missing are the motorbikes whining down the street behind you on your plastic stool.

A crowd favorite is the Mo’s special rice porridge ($8.25), full of ground pork, slices of chicken, and beef balls. Many of the same background ingredients that are used in the noodle bowls are here too, although flavors are more subtle in richness. Add some of the bean sprouts, squeeze a bit of lime, and use one of their hot sauces if desired.

Breakfast is served.

13 Likes

I’ve only been to the Studio City location and I thought the guac was really good. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised with everything that we ordered. The portions could be larger, but the quality of ingredients, cooking and flavors were very good.

1 Like

Recently heard someone talking up mi zacatecas as well. Never been but I’m in that area a lot so I’ll try and check it out

1 Like

yelp pictures look so damn amazing - I must have this in my life.

nope… no alterations allowed… ever never… (only at home where we can’t find you doing this)… was it tart inside at all or bland?

you’re not wrong… same thing… i love armenian style rather than greek or arabic… it’s not as crazy… but where we’re from / azerbaijan… our people make it with a soft dough rather than flakey and it’s way better

looks great!!! Also “Hui” is cock in russian, so…

Nice report @EattheWorldLA!

1 Like

neither. herbaceous with pronounced spinach flavor

Yea, cheap fillers . The real deal has stuff that costs more

do tell! what goes in them traditionally?

1 Like

I mean every aunty keeps their secret proprietary blend of herbs but it’s a lot of standard green herbs, perhaps a bit of red basil, sorrel and this amazing (favorite) type of cress i dont see anywhere else

2 Likes

[pictures taken from Yelp.]

Ozoni: mochi soup with daikon, carrots, spinach, and fish cake. I thought the soup was overly salty until I got to the mochi at the bottom and realized it has to be salty to counter the decidedly unsalty mochi. The combination was pretty good. I would have preferred the mochi be in smaller bites rather than one giant behemoth lurking in the depths. I did enjoy the daikon, which always manages to absorb just enough of whatever liquid it is cooked in.

Chawanmushi was excellent. Just barely there on your tongue and then gone with a silken sigh.

Azay
226 E 1st St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

5 Likes

Looks interesting, what other foods do they sell at Azay?

It’s Japanese and French. Not fusion. One side of the menu is Japanese and the other side is French. My friend had the Boeuf bourguignon, which she found tasty and looked great. I had the Japanese side of the menu. Reasonable prices for lunch. My chawanmushi was $5, the soup $7 and the boeuf $16.

2 Likes

Thanks for the details, will have to check it out!