January 2020 Rundown

Dollar for dollar, the Barstow taco from Del Taco is one of the greatest things to eat on any trip to Vegas.

10 Likes

There is a Taiwanese noodle place in Barstow now, https://www.ate8barstow.com/menu.aspx. Tried it once and it was okay. Agree the 15 is a wasteland for food.

2 Likes

Haha yes! The Barstow Del Taco is the Holy Mecca for Team Del lovers

Dunno where else to drop this, meat and cheese board from Eataly LV. Dude handed it off and said “it’s a little bigger than normal, hope you don’t mind”. Standouts were the pickles, jam, mozzarella, and prosciutto.

13 Likes

#totocity

4 Likes

Chio’s today finally. Really liked it. Pulpo should have been more tender but everything else about the dish was great, especially once the sauce was poured on to the sizzling plate.

Also their chicken is perfectly juicy and smoky. Also watching their walk action in the kitchen is impressive

8 Likes

At @Ns1’s suggestion I hit up Lotus and Light tonight. While I depend on @Ns1 to come up with hidden gems in the Valley I was disappointed tonight. Its quite possible I ordered the wrong thing. Lotus and Light has a DIneLA menu but it looked like way too much food so I went with rice noodle salad with charbroiled beef and egg rolls. The presentation was beautiful…

but the execution was not. The noodles were cold, obviously just out of the refrigerator, which cooled off the beef. The beef was gristly shoeleather. The nuoc cham had no spice, very little acid, no garlic, and very low salt. I ended up shaking salt on the dish. Never had to do that with Vietnamese cuisine before. How they got low salt fish sauce is a mystery. Very disappointing. Edited to add @Ns1 has given me great tips before so definitely not faulting him.

4 Likes

495- and 150-day NY strips from APL. Appreciable difference in flavor between the two (duh). The 150 had more of the “blue cheese” funk and beefiness while the 495 had deep richness to it (not sure of the appropriate words). Both steaks were fantastic and cooked to a perfect medium rare. Overall, a great meal.

4 Likes

based on the dish you ordered, I understand the disappointment. If you choose to go again, let me offer this handy guide based on dishes that I have personally eaten:

Things I would recommend to my mom

• pork banh mi
  • porkchops and rice
  • braised pork belly and egg over rice
  • beef pho (any)
  • fried tofu

Things I would not recommend to my mom:

• Spring rolls
  • Nem nuong
  • Hainan chicken
  • Bun thit nuong
  • chicken pho

Things I would not recommend to my mom but I would eat anyway because Little Saigon / 626 is far

• Bangkok rolls
5 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I will give them another try since a good banh mi is hard to find in the Valley.

Went over the weekend. How is there no line out the door?! This is objectively the best bo luc lac. Thank you.

Also ordered the eggs on the side per your suggestion for an excellent bo ne. Perfectly juicy and tender with great garlic butter flavor. Will get an extra baguette next time and turn it into a delicious steak and egg sandwich.

11 Likes

that bo luc lac would be 100000% better if they spooned the meat/sauce/garlic on top of the watercress. having said that, the color looks super legit.

Was up early and finally decided to check out Bon Temps before bouldering.

Kouign-Amann & French Grits

10 Likes

Lotus & Light Burbank

I mean, I had to revisit. I took the opportunity to do the DineLA menu and try 3 things I haven’t had before.

This is actually an insane amount of food - about $30 for all this a la carte, for $20. Full notes will be in the L&L thread.

(Papaya salad half eaten in above pic)

6 Likes

Aww yes you went!

It’s a gem of a place! I wish more people would go here for bo luc lac than the others. Did you go anywhere else in Little Saigon? Also down the street is a handmade tofu spot and Vietnamese dessert shop (che)

Ahem @euno

1 Like

No, we were considering going to Phin Smith or maybe just getting sugarcane juice afterwards but I was too stuffed and sleepy. I’ve tried a few of the Vietnamese pudding/soup/drink things before and wasn’t really into it. Reminds me of Cantonese desserts which I don’t enjoy. Not sweet enough and I’m not a fan of the jellies or beans. I once saw some travel TV show a grilled banana with sticky rice thing that looked like I might enjoy, but no clue where to get it.

Second visit to Chiang Mai Thai Kitchen (thanks @Ns1!). Ordered a Northern Thai curry, Kang Hung Lay, which is pork belly stewed in a curry sauce which bears some resemblance to American bbq sauce. No coconut milk. Had sticky rice as an accompaniment, which was good but steamed rice would have soaked up the delicious sauce better. Unfortunately pictures were way out of focus. They don’t have a liquor license yet so I had Thai iced tea the caffeine in which kept me up past my usual bedtime. I really like this place!

6 Likes

what’s the nothern Thai curry like? Never had that before

1 Like

the closest viet dish resembling kang hung lay is a bo kho, but with less broth and pork instead of beef.

3 Likes

Stumbled into Son of a Gun last night for some old favorites

Tuna

Apple Salad

4 Likes