January Weekend Rundown (2016)

They’re fairly new. They had a big flurry of media coverage before they opened due to the NPR-personality-themed sandwiches, so I was a bit skeptical initially, but they won me over with their nicely balanced sandwiches, great bread, and good cold brew. The other thing that I liked about it is that it’s around the corner from the LA River, which allowed us to have a nice stroll with our pup.

What makes Krazy Smoky Teriyaki crazy smoky?

1 Like

Rice bar

Tostadas Camarones y Pescado. Tres Palmas 2910 Division Street, Cypress Park. Pre-Blasters benefit gig at Café NELA. Good stuff. Negra Modelo and “we -only-have-pink” wine (white zin) to drink.

2 Likes

They smoke the meats and they put krazy teriyaki on it?

TBH it was slightly smokey but a substantial meal for $6.99. I may go back and try the tri tip if in the area.

Brunch @ Hungry Cat

Brisket hash

Lunch @ Men Oh

Tokushima ramen

Very good egg

2 Likes

How did you get your hands on some Milk Bar crack pie?

Just a care package from a visiting friend. I traded bagels, crack pie and dough donuts for some beef ribs. My friends are pigs like me.

2 Likes

I’m a creature of habit.

Yesterday: dinner at Metro Cafe (we had tickets to Puppet Up! at the Kirk Douglas Theater, which was terrific, BTW). Chicken bolognese (good, aside from the occasional very large chunk of chicken) and roasted Jidori Chicken + mashed potatos + asparagus (SO much asparagus; did they get it on sale???). All very tasty (I was thinking of going to Akasha initially, but it would likely have been a bit more than $$$ than I wished to spend).

Today: croissant from Frog’s Bakery (again). Yes, the croissant was really THAT big.

4 Likes

Ixtaco’s (El Monte) grilled squid taco. Chinese(some kinda Asian) owned, full Mexican staff next to a Cantonese auto shop ; shares the lot actually.

This is the SGV equivalent of Tire Shop taqueria Cept the carne asada (al carbon) was basically inedible. Duck tacos were fun tho.

4 Likes

Yeah, but it probably has better cell reception than my phone.

2 Likes

B/c they were too al carbon?

I’m a big fan of this place. You been to one of their dinners yet?

Hey! That looks just like my order! I liked the longanisa and the atchara.

Broken Spanish. Went with a large group and ordered just about everything on the menu. Won’t put up pictures of all 20 dishes. The lamb head was tasty. You know you’re with kindred spirits when a large cheer went up when the eyeball was finally pried loose so we could eat it. We thought we did a good job cleaning out all the nooks and crevices.

Before

After

8 Likes

Holy sh*t, y’all are carnivores… :wink:

Didn’t even know they served dinner, I’ll have to check it out.

because it was mostly sinew. it’s much smarter to stick to the seafood (they have grilled fish/squid/shrimp), and the Chinesey duck filling, than the prototypical Mexican fillings.

Ixtaco El Monte yelp listing (very popular with the Asian kids right now): www.yelp.com/biz/ixtaco-taqueria-el-monte

Night market song

Milo and olive
The garlic knot had so much garlic, hbo had to cancel true blood

5 Likes

I really wish someone would report on Rustic Canyon lol