JeetKuneBao's NYC (and nearby) eats

Veselka, if you’re searching online. Which has a branch in Essex Market. The food isn’t too thrilling - more something you’d get before going home after a long evening of barhopping.

2 Likes

Have you had the fish tacos at Los Mariscos in Chelsea Market? I thought they were pretty damn good.

1 Like

I love their fish tacos!! On par or better than some I’ve had in socal imo. Not surprising since they’re los tacos’ sister joint!

2 Likes

How is this for Greek in Astoria

-Souvlaki Lady and/or Franky’s. Which one is better in your opinion?

-Cafe Boulis for made to order piping hot donuts.

-Taverna….Kyclades seems to be the most popular and well liked.

-Yaya’s Bakery for take home/take to work.

1 Like

Really glad you made it to Mama’s Too. I always make multiple pilgrimages when I’m visiting family on the UWS.

In the past they’d hand you slices if you didn’t want them heated/were re-heating at home…

2 Likes

Was sick for a whole week and a half (not covid) but had a lingering cough for 2 weeks fml. Like one week of nonstop coughing. No gym, no martial arts, no yoga/meditation and no NYC eats.

Okay I am back!

Golden Diner. This is one of my favorite spots! Got the egg and cheese sandwich with added bacon. Yes that’s a hash brown. The milk bun is from a local Chinatown bakery. BEC on a milk bun is better than the rolls at the local bodega. That pancake was so damn fluffy. Very nice. Kimchi is as good as Ktown spots in LA.

Christo’s Soulvaki. Take the N train all the way to the end at Ditmars. It’s right there. Chicken soulvaki grilled over charcoal. So damn good!

Look at this fat ass pigeon lol

11 Likes

Cafe Boulis, Astoria. Piping hot donuts with Greek frappe.

Hot apple cider. Union Square vendor.

Edward Hopper exhibit at the Whitney. Must see but lots of people who are incredibly unaware of their surroundings. Like how do you live in NYC and not have this spidey sense? Don’t go on a weekend like I did.

10 Likes

L’Industrie Pizzeria, Williamsburg.

Yup that’s some spectacular pizza! The burrata slice is their signature slice. Perfection.

7 Likes

L’industrie. Luigi’s. John’s of Bleecker. Lucali.

So far are the best pizza I had in NYC.

5 Likes

Awesome notes!
I’m headed to NY myself next week.
Totally not food related, but as a born and bred Angeleno, what sort of footwear would you recommend for current conditions there?

1 Like

It’s been relatively “warm” winter on the east coast. All of the snow has melted off from last month. There was a day or two when it was like 2 degrees and all I could think about was being in Laguna Beach or Malibu.

Footwear?

I personally only wear red wings, chucks, and vans.

You wanna look good too you know? It’s NYC.

The only caveat is if you are doing Centra Park and the surrounding museums forgot looks just wear something comfortable top, bottom, and shoes. You will be putting in miles! Save the nice stuff for dinner.

What are you looking to get out of your trip?

It might get some rain later in the week but overall I wouldn’t worry about slipping on your ass because it’s all melted off.

2 Likes

4 Likes

We definitely had some really nice weather over the holidays followed by some much needed rain!

Appreciate the info!
I definitely have memories of falling on my ass everything I stepped out in the NYC winter streets…

Visiting my partner’s family in New Jersey and Dumbo. Definitely trying to hit up L’Industrie. Maybe go to the cloisters, Russ & Daughters.
Remember seeing Joe Jr’s diner pop-up on Nick Solare’s Meat Show. Will try if we’re in the neighborhood.
We always go to Xian Famous Foods every trip back.
Otherwise, no real itinerary.

1 Like

Why are people smiling and taking selfies here? Wtf

2 Likes

No disrespect, but I cannot understand the love for this place. It’s fine. Potato egg & cheese sandwiches have been around as long as I have - it’s not a new concept.

1 Like

I can’t even walk by there, it makes me so stabby.

None taken. I have a soft spot for diners in general. I think it may stem for being a Seinfeld fan. It’s different it’s new. Instead of some Greek influences there is Asian. For me it’s a perfect combo as a Chinese-American with a soft spot for diners. I think you said you were pescatarian? Forgive if I am wrong. I like the katsu sandwiches and burgers a lot here. I think everything is well made. It was either going to be Golden Diner or Kopitiam.

1 Like

I definitely understand the love for Kopitiam! Yes, you have my preferences right. If memory serves, I got a breakfast burrito on my lone visit to Golden Diner, and it was a very nice breakfast burrito for which I could’ve paid $8.50 instead of $13 and been just as happy at Puebla in Essex Market.

1 Like

If you’re in Dumbo other than a Mon or Tues evening, think about dinner at a place called Noodle Pudding, on Henry St in Bklyn Heights, 2 blocks from Dumbo. Don’t let the name fool you - it’s Italian, owner from Ischia. Probably not a city-wide destination, but a real winner. Cash only, no reservations, no real internet presence, hardly any signage and full every night. We’ve eaten there (at the bar) 1-2x/week whenever we’re not traveling. Just a thought.

5 Likes

Rubirosa vs Joe’s and Pats (East Village location) tie dye pizza.

Pretty much the same right? Or do you think one is better than the other?