JeetKuneBao's NYC (and nearby) eats

Bono looks awesome, thanks! It ended up in our top two for dinner but we had a recently converted vegan who pushed us to Tsion Cafe for Ethiopian/Israeli instead. It did the trick nicely, a very solid Ethiopian meal tho I didn’t get as much Israeli/Jewish influence.

Brunch at Dutch Baby on 187 was quite nice too. Great baked goods.

Using this thread since there’s not a ton of NY traffic. Hope you don’t mind @JeetKuneBao

John’s of bleecker great NY pizza thanks @JeetKuneBao! Was delicious piping hot crispy but soft with great cheese flavor. Half meatball was the way to go to contrast between toppings and just plain cheese. Also we got so lucky to get seated right away. Within 10 min there was a line past the store next door. Just happened to be right place right time.

Casa mono was pretty casa meh-no for me. There were some good dishes but also a lot of misses namely the mussels. Everything was heavy on heavy without any elements that cut into the fat. Fun times with a good crew but not a memorable meal.

Thompkins square bagel. Pretty solid but a very dense bagel. Works much better as just shmear and bags vs lox sandwich with works.

7 Likes

Oh crap you are in the city!

Keep posting! I miss NYC all the time!

1 Like

Also nice timing with the sky and air clearing up

1 Like

You BETTER be getting some REAL lox while you’re there, not that smoked crap (Nova) lol

1 Like

Where can I get the real crap?

2 Likes

Russ & Daughters does have belly lox. It’s salted, not smoked. Quite salty indeed. If you need to go to Katz’s for pastrami, it’s walking distance from the E Houston Russ & Daughters location.

3 Likes

Russ and Daughters as @pomodoro mentioned. Or Barney Greengrass on the UWS or Shelsky’s if you’re gonna be in Brooklyn.

2 Likes

Zabar’s if you happen to be in the area for Natural History Museum/Central Park.

Zabar’s is @Gr8pimpin heaven on earth

2 Likes

Yes!!! You are correct @JeetKuneBao !! LOL!!

Hey, @hungryhungryhippos ,

They have awesome knishes too at Zabars! Get one of each, meat, potato and kasha (only a Jew like me would like a kasha knish but YUM!!)

As @pomodoro mentioned, to be clear as to what you want (the way people MISTAKENLY use lox and smoked salmon interchangeably) ask for BELLY Lox.

Yes, it’s salty. Don’t get it on a salt bagel! If you need to cut the salt, use a slice of tomato.

4 Likes

L Train to L’industrie.

1 Train for triple bang Zabar’s, Mamas Too, and Absolute Bagel.

Hit up Sunny and Annie’s for some deli sandwiches! God I miss those delis and bodegas.

3 Likes

Yeah you gotta try lox belly. Silky, smooth, fatty, salty even if it’s just a few slices. The downside to Russ and Daughters and Zabar’s is the shitty ass bagels. Just like the downside to Katz is that shitty rye bread.

3 Likes

Definitely true (as with most delis and appetizing stores) you MUST B.Y.O.B (bring your own bagels)

2 Likes

Ok I will try tomorrow Russ and daughters is relatively nearby

2 Likes

This warms my heart!

Hey, @JeetKuneBao , where should our padawan get his bagel vessel for his lox?

1 Like

Russ and Daughters used to get their bagels from Bagel Hole. Sad.

3 Likes

Brooklyn Bagel. Bob’s. Ess-A.

Plain or everything with the fish stuff.

3 Likes

… onion works well, too.

2 Likes

Rezdora got a couple of other dishes. The funghi gnocchi was spectacular. Pesto and funghi were great. The carbonara pasta was just ok. But also the steak and eggs and frittata were quite enjoyable (also unpictured). Focaccia is way better at funke restaurants.

The ac was way too cold in the back area unfortunately.

7 Likes

Fresh tagliatelle with carbonara is a bit odd. Rezdora seems to be focused on fresh pasta and food from Emilia-Romagna. (“Rezdora” is a Modenese term for the pasta rollers, the sfoglino, which would be the nonnas who run the house kitchen). Carbonara is a Roman dish made with dried pasta - rigatoni or spaghetti. If fresh pasta is being used, then perhaps mezze maniche due to its thickness, but generally fresh pasta with carbonara is not ideal. Especially not a thin fresh noodle, if they are cooking it with the sauce over a bain-marie to pasteurize the egg (I would hope so). Also, the al dente bite of dried pasta is going to be better with the way guanciale is preferably cooked now.

The pesto sounds great though.

2 Likes