Jiayuan Dumpling House - Redondo Beach

Jiayunan Dumpling House

Been wanting to come here ever since I learned about them. Really liked everything. Dumplings were well made, they make it fresh so you have to wait a little. Small place, one server and very friendly service.

We got four kinds of dumplings, the fried pumpkin patty and entrees of dried tofu sheets with chili pepper and northeastern style tangy pork. All the flavors were good, although I felt the spicing was on the mild side. I liked the texture on the tofu sheets but wished the chili oil had a touch more punch. I’d get it again but would ask them to up the chili just a bit more. The tangy pork is similar to sweet and sour pork but with more ginger. Meat was juicy, thin coating, well fried and not greasy. Glaze was not overly sweet and well balanced.

Looking forward to returning and exploring the rest of their menu

Dumpling flavors we got were:

• Bok Choy, Shitake and Carrot
  • Beef, Daikon and Carrot
  • Shrimp, Chicken and Carrot
  • Pork, Shitake and String Bean

Pork, Shitake and String Bean

Bok Choy, Shitake and Carrot

Shrimp, Chicken and Carrot

Beef, Daikon and Carrot

Tofu Sheets

Tangy Pork

Fried Pumpkin Patty

14 Likes

interesting location choice for a dongbei place. the tangsuyuk with ginger is an interesting variation.

Is that why the fillings seem somewhat non-traditional? I’m much more used to the chive-based fillings. I like these dumplings but definitely not what I’m used to with the carrot and string bean…

… and chicken.

i saw the tangsuyuk and the bean curd with chilis which i normally associate with dongbei (NE bordering korea) but the pumpkin patties? not sure where that comes from.

the fillings? maybe they’re vegetarian? but i don’t recall those vegetables being indigenous to NE china.

Damn no pork, shrimp, and leek dumplings.

Sure the burps after eating leeks are pretty gnarly but I can’t fathom not having leeks on the menu

1 Like

If they were Dongbei dumplings, they’d primarily be pork and cabbage, or just cabbage. Those aren’t the only fillings, but those are the main fillings. The non-traditional in this case comes off more like vegetarian versions.

The tofu strips with pepper is very much a Dongbei-style dish. Even more so if it had small bits of pork with it. And the pork, the name speaks for itself.

I first had the pumpkin pancake at a Wuhan-style place, Tasty Dining in San Gabriel. The item is viewed as being Sichuan, because several of the newer Sichuan places serve them. I think its mainly because few had seen them until they had them at Sichuan Impression.

3 Likes

I was here again last Saturday and it’s very solid. You can tell the ingredients are quality and that they don’t overload it with MSG (not that I care about that per se). We left feeling satisfied but not overwhelmed with salt or fat. The cooking is honest and homey, and I really appreciate it. As a South Bay resident, it’s now my go-to Chinese restaurant.

10 Likes

if i said “a taco/burrito place is now my go-to mexican restaurant” i imagine that people who knew mexican regional cuisine would be amused or offended - especially if i was a food editor.

this is clearly meant to rib me but I won’t address it because it’s so stupid. let’s carry on and focus on the restaurant please.

21 Likes

There are only two Mexican restaurants in our city (three if you count Taco Bell, four if Jack-in-the-Box’s tacos count) and they’re both primarily taco/burrito places, so I guess people can be amused or offended if they are our go-to.

Don’t always want to make the trek for Tire Shop, Boca Del Rio, GCM, Guelaguetza, etc…

5 Likes

kind of like when you said osaka is your go-to japanese eating city, i imagined that people who knew japanese regional cuisine were amused or offended - especially since you’ve never been to japan.

13 Likes

Came here to post the same thing but you beat me to it and with links!

9 Likes

idiot

4 Likes

@PorkyBelly has all the receipts

3 Likes

Shandong has some pumpkin cuisine

the best Los Angeles restaurants for families.

Bill Esparza be like:

Sonoratown
Burritos La Palma

Sang always prided herself in making dumplings by hand, basing the doughier filled version from the style of her home province of Heilongjiang.

I love Eater LA.
But their incessant use of the adverb quietly in their headlines is quietly giving me hypertension.

4 Likes