Jonathan Gold's 101 Best LA Restaurants 2016

Saw him and his son at lunch at #89 yesterday.
He ordered the boat noodles without liver.

1 Like

Sapp Jade Noodles are phenomenal.

2 Likes

I did a bang bang (Sapp then Rodded) with FTCā€™s former poster, now LA Weekly writing star, @kevin

Suffice it say, Mr Gold was (probably, though he showed no outward signs) highly intimidated to find himself a mere table away from such a fucking critic.

We had the Jade Noodles, which are great but not as great as Luv2eatā€™s. A so-so spicy pork salad. Fried crab cakes. The latter two were nothing special.
Then Rodded - the duck noodle broth is superb.

@kevin needs a t-shirt stating as suchā€¦

1 Like

Front of shirt:

Iā€™M A FUCKING CRITIC

Back of shirt:

AND THAT AINā€™T NO FUCKING JOKE!

10 Likes

I liked the jade noodles at both Sapp and Luv2Eat. Theyā€™re so different they didnā€™t seem like the same dish to me.

2 Likes

Needs more exclamation marks though!!!

2 Likes

I want one. I would wear it as an ironical homage, like a vintage Black Flag shirt.

1 Like

Maybe you just have to fit in there? I agree that the pan drippings are oddly not great there, and some things are much better than others, but Iā€™ve never had a bad meal at Republique; some truly great times there. I also, admittedly, fit in there in a lot of ways though I guess, so who knows really. A lot of other people here seem to have pretty fantastic meals pretty consistently there though.

Just out of curiosity, where do you prefer to eat over Night + Market?

good to hear about rodded. i could never figure out why the mystical, magical tonyc loathed the place.

me either. and i donā€™t fit in anywhere.
plus, i dig the pan drippings.

2 Likes

For me, all the competitors had duck noodles as good or better (ie Hoy-Ka, Pa Ord, Efu Sea Noodles or whatever the hell that shop is). Rodded also had one of the 2 worst tom yum noodle soup Iā€™ve ever had.

Iā€™ve never had a bad meal at Republique, although I did have a so so brunch there once. However, some of their dishes are comically overpriced and a bit insulting.

If your experiences at Republique lead you to believe that they treat people based on whether or not they think they fit in, then I am very happy I made the decision never to return! Much prefer the more egalitarian places that serve good food and no arrogance, like Vincenti or Angelini or Chi SPACCA.
Husband loves Jitlada and I love Ruen Pair.

1 Like

Ah funny, I dislike Jitlada, but Ruen Pair is probably my favorite place along with Night + Market. Going to eat there tonight in fact!

Iā€™m the type of person that will put up with pretty bad service/atmosphere for great food. Iā€™ve had some unbelievably horrific service events at Ruen Pair and still go back lol

Which dishes do you find comically overpriced? The price point is high, absolutely, but just curious which dishes you are thinking of in particular.

Letā€™s start with those oysters that used to be $3.50/ea and are now $4/ea.

Isnā€™t that fairly average or maybe just above average for oysters?

In my mind $4 is the upper end oyster pricing unless theyā€™re labeled belon.

By comparison:
L&E $30/12
Cassia $42/12
FWD $35-$39/12
Son of a Gun $36/12
Craft $36/12
Church and State $38/12

For shits and giggles
Marea NYC $40/12

Itā€™s the same when I go to dim sum - I expect and am content with terrible service as long as dim sum is good, but when we go out to other restaurants, my tolerance goes down. And my husband has even less tolerance for bad service.
You donā€™t like Jitlada? Why not? I had my first taste of sator beans there, which I now love. Stink beans indeed! I love sweating there as I eat, unable to stop because the food is so good!

1 Like

Because the food is hit or miss, the service is always a miss, and the prices are far too high for the corresponding service/decor/food?