JThur01's LA Weekly Article on Taiwanese Night Market Chicken

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/taiwans-fried-chicken-obsession-has-officially-expanded-to-la-with-the-opening-of-hot-star-7876892

3 Likes

I had it at the Rowland Heights location.

It’s fine for what it is. I just grew up eating chicken cutlets and pork chops with rice, egg, pickled greens, and cabbage. It’s a nice addition for us Taiwanese and Taiwanese-Americans. We got Stinky Tofu King, Yi Mei, Sinbala, Lu’s Garden, Hsi Lai Temple, Happy Family, Black Ball!

RIP Country Bistro/Gu Yue. Respect for bringing out the Canto’s for the $1 soups

RIP Supreme Dragon while we are it, not T Dub though I think

we hit the rosemead location in early december.

$10 is IMO a little pricey for the cutlet for that neighborhood anyway

though it is sizable (note plastic gloves)

1 Like

Very curious to try this and see how it compares to the Shilin location. I was actually just there a couple months ago, and the cutlets were going for NT$60 or a little under $2 US. Are these a similar size? Over 5x the price seems like a high markup even compared to markups for other street food-y stuff.

i included the third pic thinking that it would provide a frame of reference for the size of the cutlet.

it was good, but between the location/demographics (there was a homeless person sleeping in the adjacent storefront) and the price, i personally wouldn’t be buying stock in that particular franchise location, but i didn’t starbucks as being a big deal either.

Oops rookie mistake, you totally did! I just saw the first couple of the menu and cutlet by itself and then jumped the gun. The size does look comparable.

so you read the words and didn’t look at the pictures. that makes you dangerous in a good way.

2 Likes

That sums it up and is my take on it as well. I’d prefer going to Old Country Cafe and having one with rice, half a tea egg and the pickled veggies, but that’s not a knock on Hot-Star. Besides, I could get a red bean milk there.

Folks, another look at how the sausage is made, I will (we will) write about interesting places, but this does not mean each and every place I or we write about is some unique, incredible, sublime experience that one should go to great lengths to urgently experience…despite what the headlines (which we don’t write) read. Good, yes, great, not necessarily.

4 Likes

Interesting sidelight is that I’ve recently seen a couple of restaurants describe a dish as Taiwanese night market chicken on their menu.