July 2020 Rundown

Third. That place is amazing. Worth the wait.

1 Like

This is my thing from Katz’s. I can get pastrami here in LA, but this… had a friend who would ship me a couple a few times a year.

KNOBLEWURST

grill til brown, slice and put on some rye with mustard and kraut.

4 Likes

Das ist Gr8Essen

1 Like

fuck Katz, #teamPastramiQueen

The minute I found Langer’s, eating at Katz’s became a non-option given it comes at the expense of gorging at Russ & Daughters next door.

3 Likes

Fact. We got Langer’s no reason to waste stomach space in NYC for Katz.

1 Like

Shunji Japanese Cuisine: Honmaguro akami zuke and uni duet (murakami from San Diego & Hokkaido bafun) chirashi with house-made tamagoyaki, kyuri, and Shunji-san’s special “uni shoyu” (concentrated uni sauce). Woweewowwow… That uni shoyu is powerful! It really packs a flavor punch!

J_L’s house Japanese potato salad, with backyard Japanese cucumbers… Goes well with King’s Hawaiian buns and BBQ steak, corn and squash.

21 Likes

Potato salad looks great.

1 Like

That Dewazakura “Green Ridge” Junmai Ginjo sake is dope stuff too!

1 Like

@Bagel awesome write up! Do you know if jimmy sugishita is still offering his chirashi bento or just this variation? i heard aburiya raku closed :frowning_face: he is based elsewhere now?

He still offers both bento and chirashi.

Cooking out of his home in Arts District.

5 Likes

thank you @moonboy403 :grin: i know what i’m ordering this week then

1 Like

Providence En Voyage #3: The Golden State…

This week, we explore our home state of California! There’s a lot to be proud of here.

First course: Alderwood house-smoked Liberty Farms (Sonoma) duck breast, Rieger Farms flavorosa plums and Scarborough Farms arugula, frisse, red orach and sungold tomatoes, topped with sour plum & kalamansi vinegar dressing… The sour plum, veggies and duck are a perfect match.

Bread: Tehachapi Grain Project Abruzzi rye and red fife sourdough… Lots of nutty character - I couldn’t stop picking at it.

Main course: Line-caught Halfmoon Bay breaded king salmon (with Munak Ranch tomato vinaigrette and California fleur de sel), Dwelley Farms Brentwood sweet corn succotash (Romano beans, celtuce, Nardello peppers)… I gotta say, the fish was not as tough to cook as I had feared. It turned out wonderfully moist on the inside after letting it sit for a few minutes off the heat. The breading was delightful. And that corn succotash was splendid in and of itself.

Dessert: Harry’s Berries crème fraiche strawberry nectar tart… This was also fantastic! The pastry, creme fraiche all worked to bring out the best of that gorgeous gaviota strawberry flavor.

Wine: Pinot Grigio, Alois Lageder 2017

Bravo, Team Providence! Can’t wait to see (and taste) what you cook up for next in the series…

18 Likes

Takeout dinners at your house still look like gorgeous plating at restaurants. Bravo!

2 Likes

Looks wonderful. Is that an order for 2?

One! #stillgotleftovers

1 Like

That’s a very generous portion!

1 Like

Fat and Flour x Antico

Sour Apple Pie with Browned Butter Crumble + Scoop of Honeycomb & Vegan Coconut Caramel

Vegan Coconut Caramel

Sour Apple Pie

8 Likes

how was the coconut caramel?

1 Like

The coconut is subtle but lasting. It really lingers. While the caramel takes over at first before fading away.

1 Like