July 2020 Rundown

In honor of @js76wisco (you can turn off alerts on the bottom of the thread). :wink:

Indian (spices) sandwich from Clementine.

7 Likes

Donut Man!

14 Likes

Seeing the fish & corn rice from the PRD posts , I decided to break outside of my ordering routine and try a neighborhood rendition today (in fact just finished wolfing it down)

Tak Kee Lee SF’s rendition appears to be battered and fried (frozen farmed) fish of some kind. The frying skills are good… inside the fish is puffy in texture and the batter texture reminds me of the kind they use for R&G Lounge salt pepper crab. Canned corn of course and the cream sauce is light but is unmistakenably classic HK cafe style.

Wish I had a little Maggi sauce to give it a bit of a boost (preferably ex Chateau release, ie made in France :laughing:).

Nothing glamorous otherwise about this version, just an experience in fast comfort food with various textures. Hits the spot but nothing like curry chicken stir fried spaghetti or the black pepper beef instant noodles :sweat_smile:.

9 Likes

I know everyone raves about these strawberry donuts but it looks like it would be overly sweet to me. Is it not?

4 Likes

They’re pretty sweet and plenty messy- we’re more fans of the tiger tail. We didn’t get any strawberry-filled when I walked by yesterday but we’ll still probably try the peach when it’s in season.

2 Likes

I would destroy that!

My preference is Baked Pork Chop Rice in Tomato Sauce and lots of cheese

1 Like

+1 on the tiger tail and I’m a big big fan of the bavarian creme (also called Bismarck). The strawberry is too sweet for my tastes.

1 Like

Its pretty darn sweet. I like the peach ones better.

I really want to try peach!

I thought the strawberry was sweet but not cloying. I enjoyed it, and wound up having one two days in a row because a client surprised me with one.

Tiger tail kicks ass though. I had the cinnamon roll and enjoyed that as well.

3 Likes

It’s definitely sweet but I don’t think they’re overly sweet or syrupy, especially compared to other stuff there - it is a donut shop, after all. That said, I usually split one with my wife, and we’ll get a second of something else for later.

1 Like

AKA FTC-a-la-mode

2 Likes

Donut Man Peach coming late July-early August, I was told. It’s a brief run, if memory serves from the OG Glendora location…

6 Likes

They are. I finished a whole portion the one and only time I tried it and felt… a little ill afterward. I enjoyed the taste and am glad I tried it. But I do not have any desire to try another one. :wink:

1 Like

Made out of that milk, chicken stock, water, and a not so classic blonde roux of a lil’ butter, flour, and lots of cheap oil to bring down cost! A fine specimen of cha chan tang indeed.

1 Like

Yes they are. I can’t eat them anymore.

They are significantly sweeter than the godly tiger tails.

Indeed. Thanks for the breakdown of a typical HK version.

I also enjoy the Japanese rendition, in the form of cream stew at yoshoku restaurants. Thicker, more creamier, but not heavy and the umami component is good too. Comfort food for the locals, and no need for Chateau Maggi.

7 Likes

I miss the corn potage at Curry House

4 Likes

Agree - that CH corn potage was so great. But take solace: There’s a dehydrated (instant) home version most Japanese supermarkets carry that’s almost identical to it. Just add hot water. I’ll try to upload a photo of it later when I find it…

7 Likes

I also loved their miso salad dressing, spaghetti bolognese, and tofu cheesecake. ::sigh::

4 Likes

#TeamTigerTail

Also, if you can master eating the strawberry donut without making any droppings, you will earn the FTC black belt.

6 Likes