July 2020 Rundown

Oh yes, me too. I was just saying that his BBQ sauce was so good I wanted it for my own use when I BBQ in the future…

2 Likes

Some recent pickups

Fat and Flour x Scoops

Boysenberry Pie w/ scoop of Pistachio Cardamom

Probably my favorite bite from Fat and Flour along with her Banana Cream Pie

Son of a Gun

Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich -

~Medium Heat. The lettuce was a nice swap for the slaw on their OG sandwich. Surprised they added this option start of the pandemic. But their OG is so dialed in its tough to screw up a new offering.

Vanilla Peppermint Bark

Totally into this. Rich, creamy then let the ice cream melt in your mouth and crunch on the bark.

Hock and Hoof

Taiwan Sausage Rice

Taiwanese Garlic Sausage came through. So delicious and a proper amount of food for a $15 DTLA lunch.

21 Likes

Lots of catching up to do!

Some sake, wine, and dessert wine celebrating a dear friend’s birthday

And there were mochi donuts from Mochill, San Francisco Japantown

Still nothing like a good standby of Yakitori don from Izakaya Ginji

The minced pork rice from the SE Asian chain Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks, downtown San Mateo. Pork was a touch too firm, but looks great

The super popular creme brûlée toast from Caffe:In, a Malaysian owned boba shop in Union City. Taiwanese style thick toast with a delectable creme brûlée insertion on top.

California’s finest fast food :fries::hamburger:

Cantonese style ja jang noodles, sweet sour spicy lo mein. This is the result when you watch Hong Kong YouTube videos of won ton noodle shops that you can’t get in California…

Wonderful oden from Izakaya Rintaro

Revisiting the spectacular bara chirashi of Sushi Yoshizumi. One of the best offerings but sadly is not moving as fast as it should…

The new maguro futomaki is brilliant… aged bluefin tuna (akami and Chutoro) and the low temperature aged takuan make this a winner

But even better is the kaisen futomaki! Akami, chutoro, ikura, uni, anago, ebi, ni shiitake, takuan, cucumber, aged CA king salmon (shoyu zuke), tamagoyaki, kanpyo.

Sushi Shin (Redwood City) nigiri premium set is superb value!

Shinko makes an appearance!

Last but not least, nothing like good Hong Kong style egg tarts and pineapple buns!

26 Likes

Akira’s offerings look superb. Great Canto cravings too!

1 Like

Hi @beefnoguy,

Nice meals! :slight_smile:

So is Izakaya Ginji still making good Yakitori even after Daisuke-san and Shingo-san left?

I so wish I had some of Yoshizumi-san’s Sushi right about now! So lucky. :blush:

And when did Rintaro start doing Oden?! How was it? Thanks.

1 Like

That Kaisen Futomaki is what dreams are made of! I want multiple orders of that! What drink did you pair that with? If things return to normal you think they can make that okonomi after omakase course?

Is that Mr Bread for the bolo bao and dan taats?

1 Like

For those of you who have visited Sushi Yoshizumi and enjoyed it, I wish there were ways you guys can buy direct from him! Or if any of you come up, pickup one of the offerings with sufficient advanced planning! The additional support from this group would mean so much too.

The last two yakitori bento from Ginji were very good and really hits the spot if you haven’t had good yakitori in a while. Then again these are also grilled to order, and if you eat them right away in the car with one of their smaller format cold sake it’s amazing. Selections available a la carte but smaller variety. There isn’t much competition around.

Rintaro’s oden cart in the courtyard has been there maybe 2 to 3 weeks now. It’s really good, though I wish they had a few more options. Can’t complain otherwise.

Yes that’s good ol’ Mr Bread egg tarts and pineapple buns. Good standby. A few doors up from Smile House Cafe for that delicious chilled milk tea to pair with. Golden Gate Bakery is always closed whenever I drive by these days.

The kaisen futo is ridonkulous. That’s a bit tough to pair as it has so many flavors. I say just enjoy whatever you like and have a blast with it!

5 Likes

The Win-Dow at American Beauty

Bag o’ burgers, two cheese and one double cheeseburger.

Damn good cheeseburger.

13 Likes

That is a nice looking cheeseburger with properly melted cheese.

Question: How is the portion size on the double cheeseburger?

This is some pretty impressive stuff. Really an elite foodie site.

1 Like

Tangential, but drove past Salsa and Beer and noticed they are doing takeout, including the little place on Burbank (I think that’s where it is). Might be a time to strike, although I suspect its much better fresh.
Crap, it does no good to complain, but I am so tired of the lock down protocols. Oh well I am getting lots of cooking in what with being unemployed.

1 Like

The kid ate that, LOL. So it was hard to gauge. He eats like a raptor.

My single was pretty satisfying… as a light lunch. Probably a 5/1 patty. If I was eating dinner, I definitely would need a double.

Sorry I can’t really be more definitive. Just that it was damn good.

2 Likes

Burbank? Where?

These are the smaller ones I know of:

There’s a little one at Vanowen and Whitsett. I think that may be a catering location in an old mini-mall.

Then I THINK the other is on Vanowen Street at Lankershim. That one may be the way to go, though I’ve never eaten at it. It’s got a pretty good lot next to it.

Dude, I am REALLY missing that NoHo location. I’ll tell you one thing, I will never get salsa from a community salsa bar ever again. It was hard to watch before this pandemic LOL.

Tell you what I would do. I would get just a bunch of side orders of meat.

1 Like

NoHo S&B has been doing takeout for a while now. I have seen a line out the door to pickup food but with social distancing can’t tell how busy they actually are.

2 Likes

This evening, I was again reminded of just how much a jewel Holbox is to the L.A. dining scene. The fabulous dinner I received tonight was as good as any I’ve enjoyed thus far in our take-out era.

Mercado La Paloma needs our love. I was the only customer doing takeout at the food court tonight at 6PM. I was there to pick up a paella and also an order of langosta al carbon.

As I approached the counter, Chef Gilberto rued, “Unfortunately we had no mussels or clams for your paella order tonight, so I substituted scallops and spot prawn instead. I hope that’s all right with you.”

Uh… heck YEAH!!! And while we were on the topic, I pushed my luck and asked Chef Gilberto if he still had enough spot prawn to grill up a separate appetizer order for me. And score! He agreed!

“Will these do?” I’m pretty sure we were both smiling big underneath our masks at this point.

The Holbox paella was superb. (And I am picky about my paellas.) The deep, balanced sofrito, and the bite on the rice both made it known to anyone eating this that the chef really took his time with this dish. Socarrat abounded throughout the pan, and the gorgeous toppings really meshed with the whole gestalt. Bravo to Chef Gilberto Cetina and the Holbox team!

33 Likes

Amazing that the soccarat held up on your drive home. Looks fantastic!

2 Likes

It was the Vanowen and Whitsett site. When I drove by a few days ago they had a banner up saying “Open for Takeout Only”.

2 Likes

OMG that looks so good!

Had a bit of extra time today, so headed off to Proof. :slightly_smiling_face:. So yummy. I preferred the turkey over the salami sandwich bc if the intense pesto spread w/ the turkey. Both were at least very good, though, and the bread was perfect and chewy. Choc chip cookie was great but not sure how mine ended up with a huge salt crystal (the other cookie had fleur de sel, which makes more sense to me).

@J_L: how many people does that paella feed???

15 Likes

Pretty sure that one feeds just one @J_L

But mine fed 3 adults - with 50% left for mañana.

7 Likes