June 2019 Weekend Rundown

New Fusion in Arcadia

1 Like

Looks delicious

Back at Kappo Sui, which is fast becoming one of my favorite Japanese restaurants (along with Meiji Seimen) in OC…

Battera Sushi

Garlic Octopus

Nice texture with a slight chew and some tasty garlic

Grilled Anago

Not greasy at all like Otafuku. This was great! The chef says there is quite some prep needed for this.

Braised Duck Breast (cold)

This was pretty good but depending on personal taste it is not too rich.

Crab Siu Mai.

The filling was kinda fish bally in texture but I was surprised that I enjoyed this, with some of that sweetness from the crab shining thru.

Ume Shiso Maki to finish things up. I am really starting to love this combo of flavors!!!

Service was just so sweet, and attentive. One of the younger chefs here is from Nagoya but actually is ethnic Chinese and he is great to chat up/make suggestions. I’ll be back of course!

6 Likes

Nice @JeetKuneBao!

The food looks homey & comforting. We’ll be at Hi-Time Wines in CM next week for a sake tasting. It seems like the perfect place to enjoy our bottle. Any recs for this style of cooking @beefnoguy?

:sake: :sushi: :fried_shrimp:

1 Like

When the mother demands the best Chinese food…

8 Likes

Broken Shaker at The Freehand Hotel - DTLA

Sweet Space / Big View

We ordered lots of drinks I can’t remember…

Menus included for drink reference…

I can’t remember specific drinks, because frankly, I don’t care to remember. Esquire Mag once voted Broken Shaker as having the Best Hotel Bar Program or some such thing. I was excited by this and the enticing descriptions on the menu. I had two different drinks and tasted a couple others. The bar may have been putting out great drinks at one time. This day it was just a busy rooftop bar, slinging passable cocktails with kinda’ cute garnishes.

Food…

Guacamole & Peanut Salsa

Decent w/an interesting salsa that was kind of half salsa / half oily peanut sauce.

Vegetarian Egg Rolls w/Sweet Chili & Sesame Sauce.

Can’t say how these were because there wasn’t a lot of satisfyingly, greasy, crispy, crunchy bar bites for the vegetarians. So I let ‘em have at it. They devoured them and ordered more, so…

Crispy Shrimp & Potato Tacos w/Avocado

These were yummy. :yum: Potato tacos can be such a let down. Why? Improperly cooked potatoes, not crispy, no texture. The shrimp / potato combo was on point and everything had a nice, crispy, crunchy texture topped with creamy avocado and the delicious Salsa Campechana. I smeared the salsa on my fried chicken and anything else I could find. They’re awkward to eat but I smushed the avocado on one outer-side of the shell and ate them sideways like the Mariscos Jalisco’s shrimp taco. :slight_smile:

Fried Chicken, Pickles, Aioli

More lip-smacking, crispy, goodness. Tasty, not salty, boneless fried chicken - golden, crispy, crunchy exterior w/tender, moist white & dark meat. And anyone who knows me knows I :heart: Chicken & Mayo. The pickles were nice, crunchy, sweet, acidic, housemade. It ain’t Howlin’ Ray’s @Chowseeker1999! Just tasty bar food.

Sorry, no price. We were treated!

We had a really good time. It’s cute the 2nd generation still wants to include us in the fun… and we did have fun. But BS skews way younger than our usual hangouts. I was ready to bang it back home after, but the ravenous young’uns wanted to “go eat”. What? Yes! Little Sister couldn’t accommodate our number, so we piled into Shake Shack next door to Freehand

Maybe I was just too full but not willing to pass up a good burger. Or maybe they don’t cook the burgers with the same pride as the first (West Hollywood) Shake Shack. But my cheeseburger was just okay.

I was having fantasies of ditching the cheeseburger and our young crew to try and bang my way into Shibumi around the corner, but… :innocent:

Happy June Weekend Eating!

6 Likes

10 Likes

Mom knows best.

1 Like

Not always. My ex-wife’s mother used to proudly tell anyone who would listen that she was the best judge of Chinese food because she’s Jewish and from New Jersey. Her favorite place was in Mission Viejo. Rating it mediocre is being generous. This was after I had worked in SGV for 10 years. Sigh.

1 Like

Great bowl of spicy jjamppong at Myungga on Imperial Blvd in La Habra. They use hand made noodles which is not common (kalguksu). Lots of seafood. The best bowl of jjamppong I’ve had since that place in Temple City closed down. Always forget the name on that place.

3 Likes

Apologies gang, I have been remiss in posting food photos. June was quite epic. Just a few teasers…

SoCal Master:

The Spanish Master:

Went to the Bay Area for a quick trip also:

Not in Kansas anymore…

Stamped my passport to Sardinia, without leaving Noe Valley:

Canto razor clams:

The NoCal Master:

The Chinatown Mister:

Talking sake and nihonryori over HK desserts with the FTC legend himself, @beefnoguy

… and back to L.A. for more “punishment”:

Shandong carbs:

I asked for five extra bowls after the first serving:

18 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’ve seen it driving by…it’s the third restaurant in that plaza I’ve noticed since moving into the area.

Definitely worth a visit. Good naengmyun and whole fried chicken. Sparse ban chan only like 5-6 but good kim chee.

1 Like

@kevin alert: To commemorate 98 years in business, for a limited time, Pacific Dining Car is offering a 98 cent Baseball Steak. And this piece of fine eating is not surplus stock from the rear of their freezer, either. No siree, I dare say that my sub$1 steak was quite awesome. There are a few hoops to jump through (one must apply to PDC to get e-mail confirmation), but nothing too onerous. And mind you, I paid full price for the side of creamed sweet summer corn and my iced tea - But heck, this steak promo is a nice thing…

(Note: I have zero financial interest in PDC. Just saw a great deal and wanted to put out a PSA)

3 Likes

Northern Cafe MPK?

Qing Dao Bread Food?

Indeed: Qingdao Bread Food it was…

Dat garlic sauce at Qing Dao Bread Food

1 Like

Shellfish weekend
I preferred the spot prawns over the carabinero prawns in every aspect.

Angler: Uni toast and spot prawns

Chi Spacca: Carabinero prawns

6 Likes

how was the uni toast?