June 2020 Rundown

Hey Gr8pimpin! I had my first pie about 2 weeks ago…it was “off the hook” busy with a 90 minute wait but Saint Anthony slipped my order in and got in in 30 minutes,1/2 meatball, 1/2 pepperoni…excellent as usual but as you mentioned somewhere on this thread, the crust looked a little light…didnt notice too much sauce…I may be back today, i’lll check it out!

3 Likes

Ah, this might explain why I was confused by your and @attran99’s comment about the saucing. I’ve never had a whole pie there, I am def not a huge fan of marinara on a pizza (hence me often getting white slices/pies), and I don’t recall noticing any change in the saucing there (although I also don’t eat there very often).

Do you think the sauce is more absorbed when they sit out?

1 Like

I think maybe. My whole pie was better after an hour than when I first got it.

Hi, Mr. Maven! @Nemroz had mentioned, in a different thread, he surmises that one of the ovens doesn’t generate any heat for the top, resulting in the lack of color on the top, I think he said because they open and close it so often.

But I have had a whole Sicilian, pepperoni, and pep/shroom all in the last 3 months and they were all heavily sauced. So much so that my cheese/topping layer slid off the slices on the last pie. This was not the case before. Seems like a new thing. And I picked up the Sicilian in person and Anthony was there so I think Anthony prepared it.

Slices, always perfect.

Republique - Beef Short Rib Dinner

This steak diane version of short rib kind of had a consistency closer to a beef cheek than a short rib, but I still enjoyed it. The prawns, sides, and dessert were all good. A bonus was that this meal was available for one.

Jinsol Gukbap - Pork Ribs Lunch Special

This was incredible value because they gave you a small side of their pork soup included with the ribs.

9 Likes

I love Jinsol Gukbap’s pork soup with the little fermented baby shrimps! Underrated Ktown soup imo with all the attentions towards beef-based soups

1 Like

Chef James Sugishita -
This is what happens when you give a Chef freedom to do whatever he wants. Omakase bento…

Salmon-ikura kamameshi -
I shared some with a chowpup and he said it was the best rice he’s ever eaten. Drops of Raku shoyu on top make it perfect.

Nanohana (rapini-esque) ohitashi with karuma ebi, kasugodai and tosazu gelée (rapini-like salad with Karuma prawn, baby red snapper and bonito-rice vinegar gelée) -
This was so good! A lovely vegetable dish with great seafood. The ebi was perfectly cooked and the gelée was crazy delicious.

Tomago -
Still one of the best I’ve ever had.

Kamasu-maki (Barracuda rolled with a shiso enoki filling) -
I don’t think I’ve ever had barracuda before. It was rolled and grilled…and filled with some of my favorite things shiso and enoki mushrooms so the texture was just fantastic. And isn’t that tiny squeeze bottle of Raku shoyu just the cutest?

Sabazushi -
I adore a saba and this was so very good. The saba was supple and wonderfully fatty with just a hint of curing.

Grilled nodoguro, kinmedai katsu and anago katsu (Grilled blackthroat seapearch, splendid alfonsino katsu and saltwater eel katsu) -
The nodoguro brings me back to Hayato…luscious and delightful. Both katsus were still slightly crispy even after the drive home. I ate them in between bites of the kamameshi, ohitashi, and pickles.

Pickles -
Look at the exceptional knife work on these pickled vegetables. They were lightly seasoned so I could still enjoy the actual cucumber and carrot flavor. I’ve been trying to figure out how Chef Sugishita cut those cucumbers and I can’t figure it out.

This bento truly rocked my world. And made for a fantastic lunch. I couldn’t have been more pleased.

23 Likes

Sushi is still wasted on me (even pics of it!), but that rice does indeed look AMAZING. ::sigh::

2 Likes

@paranoidgarliclover In talking to Chef Sugishita, I found that he actually loves making cooked dishes rather than raw. He still does the chirashi because it’s become so popular, but if you’re game, you can let him know that you’re not interested in any raw fish. My salmon-ikura kamameshi had delicious cooked salmon, flaked and mixed in with the rice, seasonings and herbs.

5 Likes

Ooh, thanks for the tip! :smiley: Now I just need to pace myself b/c tonight’s Dialogue dinner has used up the budget for the week. :wink:

1 Like

Looks great, thanks @attran99. You almost have hayato in a box there. Did you get one box or is that two boxes stacked?

1 Like

An absurd amount of deliciousness from Kappo Osen. Best thing may have been the sea bass skewer, which they gave us for free

May have convinced the wife there’s no need for Sugarfish any more

5 Likes

RE: Pizza Wagon

So my brother had two slices yesterday.

Ordered whole pies today. He said the whole pepperoni pie was definitely saucier than the slices, though he said it was great, and as it cooled it seemed more like the way he had it by the slice.

Yeah. I’m not happy LOL

2 Likes

maybe tomorrow!

1 Like

where is this? I have to know!

Interesting development at GCM

11 Likes

Good eye! Two boxes stacked. Parts of it were indeed Hayato-esque. Chef Sugishita and I have chatted briefly about his time there and I may have mentioned things that I loved…coincidentally, he helped Chef Go open and we chatted about the soft opening evening that I dined there.

2 Likes

Harry’s is now selling 16oz plastic clamshells for $11 instead of the open green baskets. Thanks a lot coron. I also noticed they’re selling sorbet so I had to pick up a pint for research. @Chowseeker1999, @attran99, @TheCookie

Did a side-by-side tasting with leo’s strawberry sorbet. Harry’s tasted slightly less concentrated and intense than leo’s, but with 90% of the flavor and at 50% of the cost I’m not complaining.

bulgarini strawberry sorbet

murray family farms - artic star white nectarines, klondike white peaches

13 Likes

I was going to go today, but slept in instead. How were the crowds at the HFM?

1 Like

Crush the actual gaviota berries into sweet cream for nirvana.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tips!