June 2021 Rundown

Indeed. Even two, mayhaps…

3 Likes

What time did you go to El Ruso? How’s the line situation?

I was there at about 11:15 on a Thursday. There was no line, and only one family who had already ordered before me.
I imagine weekends could be challenging since there’s not much parking in the immediate vicinity.

3 Likes

Those shrimp roes :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

17 Likes

Conserva nosh supper.
Octopus in olive oil with garlic.
Quite tasty.

18 Likes

Stopped in for a drink and snacks at Bari pre-F9.

It’s going to be a hit.

Margarita

Pretty light and tasty. It would be easy to knock a few of these back quickly.

Alici Marinate + Taralli + Peperoni Cruschi

Marinated anchovies (sourced from Spain), fried peppers, and little fennel crackers make a really nice snack.

They’re still in soft opening for this weekend, but the full menu is coming in July. Expect other dishes to include pastas and grilled meats, all in smaller tapas style portions. They’re hoping to turn it into a bit of a nightlife spot too, keeping the bar open until 2am and serving the snacks portion until then.

The space is beautiful, and getting a brief taste what Chef Colby is aiming for gives me high hopes.

14 Likes

Atlantic Seafood in Monterey Park

Sorry, guys, I’m not all that adventurous. Just the basics for me and Mrs. Pimpin.

Damn, steam made my photo blurry :frowning:

Dessert next door at Sunmerry Bakery.

17 Likes

Soosh -

I was a guest at a celebratory dinner last night. Catered by a Nobu Matsuhisa alum.
It was very showy and IG-friendly.
There were some elements that were good…the crispy rice and the fried onions accoutrements. The first course of marinated fluke and crab was quite good. The wasabi was fresh grated, but still rather astringent/spicy rather than the floral wasabi I’ve grown to love.
The cucumbers in the sunomomo salad were cut a la Hayato & Jimmy Sugashita…but with way less finesse. I was not fond of any dishes utilizing truffle oil or truffle salt…it was too cloying. The shari wasn’t memorable and the neta was just fine. Not as resplendent as my recent experience at Sushi Kaneyoshi.

11 Likes

The basics are all that matter for me at dim sum. :slight_smile:

What’s in the last pic?

1 Like

Looks like mochi donuts. Didn’t know Chinese bakeries were on this trend

3 Likes

:point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2:

Winner winner dim sum dinner…er…. Breakfast… err…

4 Likes

Shuck Oyster Bar (Costa Mesa) -
Oysters available today plus Naked Cowboy (NY).

Had many glasses of champagne with a variety of oysters today. I introduced some friends to Shuck for the first time. We also had the lobster mac & cheese, a grilled cheese with lobster, chorizo & avocado, lobster roll, and the Caesar salad. The food was all good, but to be honest…the grilled cheese was a bit much…too many competing flavors.

13 Likes

Portland of all places! No where in SGV or Bay Area does this?

1 Like

Right?! I have to look harder in SGV.

Tijuana day trip

26 Likes

That Huitlacoche le sigh

4 Likes

ki kim sighting @PorkyBelly @moonboy403

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQuCMprrx6G/?utm_medium=copy_link

3 Likes

that mackerel :heart: :blush: :heart:

2 Likes

Sweet corn ice cream.
Manuela.

3 Likes

personally, I think a term like “Neo-neapolitan” should refer to the contemporary boom in wood fired, artisanal pizzas, not a pizzeria thats been around for nearly a 100 years…just call it New Haven pizza

1 Like