June 2022 Rundown

Otafuku lunch today

20 Likes

I’m in Phoenix and genuinely randomly encountered…

9 Likes

Good, bad, amazing? Lives up to hype?

Morangak is back. Saturday 11:30am and the line is around 75 people. Every table inside and outside under the tent is filled. My mom rolled up at 11am when they opened to put our name down since we had a party of 10. When we left at 1pm the line was down to 40.

The ban chan is very good. They were giving out raw spicy marinated crabs today. The favorite of the meats were the brisket and marinated galbi. The naeygmyeon was great but the broth is a little on the sweeter side.

12 Likes

Heh, sorry, I posted a pic of the menu b/f ordering b/c I was so excited to have stumbled upon it!

Was the hype that it’s the best pizza in the US? I never followed the discussion here very closely.

It’s really, REALLY good. Thankfully, pizza and Italian (we also had the housemade pappardelle today) in LA has improved so much in the last 10 yrs that I cannot say that Pizzeria Bianco blows the best of LA out of the water. But it’s def up there, IMHO. The pizza (Wiseguy) was really superb. You could smell the sausage when you brought the pizza up to your nose. A hint of smoke and salt in the cornicione by itself. Partner (who is not normally a cornicione fan) ate all of his. And the pappardelle had good chew and the bolognese was at least as good as, let’s say, Colapasta (Bianco’s is lighter w/ less meat). But Colapasta doesn’t offer pizza or bread.

I have not eaten at the high-end Italian places (eg., Mother Wolf), so I cannot make a comparison w/ those places. But the food at Bianco is also not as expensive as high-end Italian in LA.

If the LA branch can eventually taste as good as what I had today, it’ll be a great addition to the city and well worth seeking out.

I’ll post photos later (no undercarriage shots, was too busy eating b/f passing out from the heat). Cooling down in the hotel room now.

11 Likes

Incase it’s helpful

1 Like

Three of the four times we were there the expensive soft serve ice cream machine was broken. It became a bit of a running joke.

1 Like

So been looking forward to that.

1 Like

I dunno how dad got overruled on Fathers Day but we went to Nozomi for lunch instead of Gjusta. Everybody wins. The sushi was great as usual. Our favorites were the scallop, uni and tuna. The regular blue fin tuna was better than the toro. They were understaffed with only 2 waitresses and 2 sushi chefs. They stopped taking walk ins right after we sat down.

18 Likes

You’re having the same problem as me with uploading multiple photos (and emojis). But your Father’s Day sounds great! :blush:

1 Like

Verizon. Been having some weird issues with LTE

2 Likes

Same here on t-mobile

1 Like

Yo……

How did I not know this? Anyone know if it’s pretty close to the OG Pico location you get in person.

“Extra sauce plz!”

5 Likes

Had bludsos today, it’d been awhile but I heard some reports of it having gone downhill.

We are happy to report everything in our to go meal was good to delicious.

Rib tips were awesome a mix of juicy, fatty, cartilegy, smoky and meaty. The way they cut/source their rib tips there’s quite a bit of meat included which is nice.

Ribs were for the most part were tender with a couple of them being on the dry side. My friends ordered lean brisket which I’m generally not a fan (prefer fatty) but it was moist and juicy with a couple of pieces being slightly drier due to the nature of lean brisket but not overly so.

Mac cheese, corn bread w honey butter, and potato salad were tasty but not standout.

Does anyone know why the og location closed?

Sorry no pics since it was a group lunch at our house.

12 Likes

I never had a problem with the actual meat or preparations. Love the chicken. Sides are meh. It was the salt that killed it for me with Bludso’s.

I think the OG Bludso’s kinda faded away. They were supposed to be temporarily closed for renovations then never opened back up. Some kind of landlord dispute I think. Too bad. Finger licking good rib tips.

2 Likes

I was really craving something vegan, or maybe a wheat grass infused smoothie, so I went to Pinks.

The truth is there was no line and I happened to be in the area and I thought “ I haven’t been there in like 10 years” so I decided to stop in.

A light little nosh built for one.

I was starving (which is also why I over-ordered) so maybe that’s why the onion rings were surprisingly good. They had to be frozen I’m sure there wasn’t some guy in the back hand battering them.

This is what I got…

The price tag with a drink was over $30. Slightly more than it was the last time I was here 10 years ago lol.

Thanks, Drew, for the excellent suggestion.

20 Likes

Drove by the new Salsa and Beer on Vanowen on the way to Home Depot and almost stopped (I was in a hurry). Thought of you! Hope all is well and you have no long Covid!

3 Likes

My whole life feels like long Covid lol.

You’re a true gentleman! Feeling great. The salsa and beer on Vanowen? there are three of them. I’ve eaten at two of them and so good.

The little one with the eight seats and the bar is the best one to do takeout since it’s so quick.

4 Likes

I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

What’s the third item?