June 2022 Rundown

It’s not too far from my house. I’d go with you.

3 Likes

We haven’t been in a long time. What’s good there? There would be an insurrection if my kids saw me pull into the Han Yang parking lot.

2 Likes

While this is a sandwich there is far more to this place than sandwiches, https://eatmomshaus.com/menu, so I didn’t post it on the sandwich thread. This is one of my favorite takeout places when my lovely wife is out with friends. It used to be Mom’s BBQ, but I believe mom passed the torch to her son who switched the emphasis over to Cajun although bbq still is a large part of their repertoire. They have great rice and beans, fried chicken, ribs, and this, a catfish po-boy…

The fries, obviously, are okay, but the sandwich is delicious. Perfectly fried catfish filets with just the right amount of catfish funk.
Anecdote; as I love their rice and beans I once placed an order for the main plate rice and beans with sausage. Five minutes later the chef called me and said the sausages they had received weren’t up to his standards so he recommended I order something else. This place is a hole-in-the-wall on Hazeltine and Vanowen, and the chef is calling me about ingredient quality!
I highly recommend Mom’s and they need the business.

17 Likes

Catching up on some meals from April and May even though June’s almost over already haha.

Saikai Ramen Bar - A new find for me, in a small strip mall on Western near Beverly in Koreatown.
The menu almost seems too big for how small of a place it is, but everything was executed well. All in all, happy to have this option for ramen and Japanese izakaya-ish fare.

shio chicken ramen - delicious, the broth had a satisfying, deep flavor of chicken. Chicken chashu was surprisingly good too, pretty tender, not sad and dry like most chicken chashu.

katsu sando bento - katsu was still crispy in the sandwich

tsukune - decent, nothing amazing but scratched the itch

albacore tataki

Great White (Larchmont location) - Great addition to Larchmont Village. Lovely patio and yummy Neapolitan-ish pizza. Their sauce is top notch, really bright and tart.

pepperoni

diavola - they add honey and a chile oil to it, but the delicious sauce got a little lost in that stuff.

Byrdie’s Rotisserie - I attended a casual event with catering from here and really enjoyed everything. Didn’t get pictures, unfortunately.

The sandwiches are made with tender rotisserie chicken and a pillowy bun - I’d happily take their chicken sandwich over most of the fried variety around town. The truffled mac and cheese was impressively al dente (esp for a large batch of catering that traveled for a while), and to my surprise, used truffle oil very sparingly, unlike a lot of dishes which can reek of that stuff. Other sides were solid too - good ingredients and execution.

http://www.byrdiesrotisserie.com/

17 Likes

Crap I knew I’d forget a place!

Furn Saj (Calabasas) - Thanks to everyone here for recommending this place and the various breads. I went a little crazy with ordering and was eating these for many days.

Favorite was the spinach pie - great spicing/seasoning on the spinach. The spicy sauce w/ the tomato mana’ish was addictive.

top - spicy tomato/onion mana’ish
bottom - lahme b’ajine mana’ish
left - zaatar saj
right - spinach pie

Not pictured - chicken shawarma plate, falafel plate. These were mediocre. I appreciate the huge portions but will prob skip and stick to the breads next time.

12 Likes

Lamb shawarma is the play here

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I did see it there, but to be honest, it didn’t look appetizing. Will try it next time though.

1 Like

Mom’s is a classic!

1 Like

Cheers!

We went to Saikai this month too and where quite impressed away. We live closer to Iki and still like it better, but we were curious about the more Izakaya bent to this place. We both got the Sake Punch one in Lychee and Stawberry. We enjoyed both, but they were rather floral. Still, the flavors were very true.

To start, we got the Eggplant, Asparagus Wrapped in Pork Belly Skewer and Corn Fritters. We were so impressed with the eggplant. A nice sized portion and the sauce was wonderful, not overly sweet like so many we’ve had elsewhere. The Corn Fritter was part of the reason I wanted to come down here. It was spot on delicious. Served fresh from the fryer, they were more like Hushpuppies than Croquettes… SO GOOD. I didn’t get a shot of the Asparagus, the portion was small, but what we liked the best was that it was well seasoned from the get go. It had some kinda spice and a squeeze of lemon. So many of these skewers are kinda bland when they serve it to you. We could have 4 more of them.

He got the Bento with the Chashu . It was not cheap, but still REALLY impressive for what we paid $25. Just like the asparagus, it was so well composted. Someone in the kitchen is trying DAMN hard. There was all sorts of yummy fruit in the fruit salad (Including sliced and pitted cherries) and the same with the salad. We opted for a side of Karage to try and OMG. SO GOOD. Crisp and tender. BIG portion! The CLT was super yummy although since the Chashu was not crisp, it just didn’t hit the note we had hoped. But the bread was very good.

I got the Mazemen. I like Iki’s better, but this one was very good. The pork was seasoned wonderfully so the nori nor the fish powder overwhelmed. I like this MUCH better than Menya Hanabi and Mogumogu.

Although I will for sure continue to visit Iki, the menu here is more in line to my tastes and we look forward to heading back, especially to try that Shrimp Katsu bento!

15 Likes

You got some good things.

I don’t like any of their shawarma except the lamb. And personally I wouldn’t go out of my way for that either but it’s the best of the bunch.

YMMV.

2 Likes

Anyone have any preferences between Resy on desktop, the app with data on or the mobile page with data on when going for a hard to get reservation?

The Joint
I’ve really been wanting to try that Tuna Melt but rarely have a reason to be in the Valley. Went in last Wednesday and they didn’t have it available, though the person behind the counter seemed apologetic like there was some reason. Who knows

Lox Sandwich & Espresso w/ Tonic

Maison Matho
Glad I finally made it here. They recently got an Eater shout which is well deserved. Two dudes from Trois Mec slingin sandwiches and pastries on Melrose right before the 101

Omelette Sandwich

Jambon Beurre (half)

Tonka Bean

19 Likes

How’s the bread

Did you ask for extra cornichons?

The Joint
The bread was great. It didn’t blow my mind but I don’t think it was supposed to. Easy to tear through without disrupting the contents of sando. Not too chewy or dense

Maison Matho
That was how the sandwich came dressed. There were even a few straggler cornis that I ate solo.

7 Likes

Newport tan cang seafood in westminister. Not as good as the sgv Newport.
Egg coffee at tatys seems to be the new hot chicken.

9 Likes

Nice pics! My niece gave me a gift certificate for The Joint and I have been vacillating between using it for aged fish or eating in. That sandwich is very tempting…

1 Like

OMG! Thank you for this report it’s on this side of Western too. Will be heading there for sure!! That HAM!!!

3 Likes

how’s the baguette? :baguette_bread:

Post Swan Lake at the Lincoln Center Village bang bang pizza. I now hit the Village trifecta of pizzas.

Joe’s (OG Carmine location).

Joe’s 29 minute guarantee is a promise man. I know to you LA FTC a promise means nothing. Quintessential NYC slice. Always ask to reheat at a slice shop.

Bleecker Street Pizza. Nonna Maria slice. Love the tomatoes on this.

11 Likes

This always works best for me.

1 Like