June 2022 Rundown

Great report, gonna have to try those corn fritters! They sound amazing. You’re right, it really feels like they put a lot of care and hard work into everything.

1 Like

Soft, fresh, pillowy. Perfect amount of flour along the crust. I like taking some bites with bottom part of slice, some bites with top.

3 Likes

Wait? Is this a misprint? The website says that is a $9 sandwich?

Also, I assume it’s smoked salmon, not really lox?

1 Like

@Gr8pimpin

Michaeli Bakery (LES/Chinatown)

Rugelach

Halva

They are known to have the best babka in the city. I don’t know if I want to wait an hour for a straight out the oven babka. That’s a lot of sweets for one person.

6 Likes

Sandwich was $9! I hadn’t really thought to ask at the time but I would guess it’s smoked salmon (I’ve never had true lox so can’t compare)

1 Like

Their long menu lists all their products as “smoked” so it’s not likely to be the other product you are looking for.

4 Likes

Thanks to LA FTC I know the difference between Nova vs Lox. It’s probably too ingrained into American food culture to properly call it the right name.

Real lox is incredible. Salty, silky, fatty, luscious.

One pound of beef tendons and fried rice all for myself! Deluxe Food Market at Elizabeth x Hester.

Street cart selling jackfruit and durian off of Bowery.

12 Likes

That’s incredible!

Thank you!

I wonder if they’d be offended if I brought my own bagel and asked “can you make THAT on THIS” ?

2 Likes

“Dude that’s the guy from the whole foods bacon bar, just do what he asks” :rofl:

If there’s one thing I learned today it’s that you don’t park in the Tallyrand lot thinking you’re gonna cruise on over to Raising Cane’s. Just don’t even bother, they can smell you coming a mile away. I’m pretty sure flights in and out of Bob Hope can make the signage.

7 Likes

When a menu has only lox and no smoked salmon, that means they have only smoked salmon.

Everyplace I’ve been that had real lox also had more than one kind of smoked salmon. E.g. Russ & Daughters:

smoked salmon:

• Gaspe Nova Smoked Salmon 50 lb
  • Scottish Smoked Salmon 52 lb
  • Irish Organic Salmon 52 lb
  • Norwegian Smoked Salmon 42 lb
  • Wild Western Nova Salmon 62 lb
  • New Zealand King Salmon 62 lb

cured salmon:

• Gravlox 52 lb
  • Pastrami Cured Salmon 52 lb
  • Belly Lox 44 lb
  • Pickled Lox 44 lb
1 Like

The Window

Haven’t been there in forever. I didn’t remember them being so small. They’re more like a slider.

On a separate note, it’s amazing how crappy my photos are since I got an iPhone 13. I can’t do close-ups. My old iPhone 7 took better foodie shots.

6 Likes

Perhaps enroll in @PorkyBelly 's iphone food foto forum

9 Likes

Hanks is a block away. Grab materials at both and assemble in car :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To all the UCI OGs. Still going strong for almost 30 years. The chicken dijon is still creamy and mustardy with a few artichokes sprinkled in the sandwich. Best to go during summer break with much easier parking. Inflation hits everybody. 9” sandwich was almost $10 after tax.

13 Likes

That bread chefs kiss

5 Likes

Wow that does look small. But how big are your hands? :wink: Must be how they keep them $4. I thought they were at least InO size in the old days. I went there monthly during the first 6 months of COVID. Almost went last night but remembered that Rose closes early now that the restaurant is back open so tried Black Sheep Burgers instead. Not bad and some very creative burgers on the menu.

1 Like

I miss that place! And the chicken dijon was one of my go-tos there. Need to get back in, soon.

1 Like

I just tried this place when we were taking my daughter on a tour of UCI. That garlic sauce made the sandwich! I am half-convinced that having University Center so close to campus helped my daughter decide to go to UCI.

12 Likes

Congrats. UCI is an excellent school. So many great eating options near campus if she has a car.

2 Likes

Ditto, my 6 took better food closeups. Photos are crisper with the 13 but one of the lenses picks up a shadow of the darn phone!

1 Like