June 2023 Rundown

It was good, though it got a bit soggy on the bottom due to the light, airy bread they use. Definitely not a take-and-eat sandwich.

Also tried the Lorenzo - loved the mortadella and the pistachios but wasn’t a big fan of the cheese spread, which I found slightly overpowering. A personal preference thing. All in all good enough that I want to go back and try the others, especially the Salamino and the Caponata, which might be more my speed.

Nobody in BH has replaced Paninoteca (RIP) :cry: for me.

2 Likes

At LAX now. Can you believe the sandwich alone was $14???

6 Likes

Was at burbank last month, a cranberry turkey sandwich not much bigger was $21. I was taken aback.

1 Like

Can I believe $14 for an airport sandwich? Easily.

It was one day only and so fire :tired_face::tired_face:

Uka is a self-described omakase/kaiseki concept, supported by the Consulate of Japan, which debuted this evening at Japan House (Hollywood). The food is definitely on point, with Chef Mitsue (Yoshi-san) offering us lucky diners a very seasonal taste of Japan with hints of modern flourishes.

One of the highlights was this honegiri cut ainame (fat greenling; at the height of its season) served in dashi, with seasonal vegetables and sansho pepper sprigs. Magnificent!

13 Likes

Today is Friday and WholeFoods has a sale today for Oysters, 12 for $12.

• Bone River Pacific
  • Takara Pacific
  • Moondancer
  • Atlanta Wellfleet
  • Chebooktook
  • Atlanta Blue Point

Which ones are the best ones?

2 Likes

Hold up…new location on 3rd street?

I think it’s been a few years. They are now across the street from Cedars Sinai.

1 Like

F it. I am probably never going to order this again lol because of that $

7 Likes

Filet o hash is still the superior fish sandwich. There. I said it.

6 Likes

tmrw when I get a boba drink for my daughter - I’ll say " @JeetKuneBao buying that Astrea Caviar Fish Sandwich at Daybird paid for this 75 cent boba addition for you my dear"

17 Likes

Popping Boba for everyone!!! :rofl:

Mi amor

12 Likes

That’s where AOC has been for the past 10 years, with a new second location opening in Brentwood. I think…

1 Like

It was new in 2013!

News travels slow in the OC. I went to the OG LA location a few times but didn’t think it was that long ago. Damn. Getting old.

5 Likes

Friends & Family Pizza Co

Mozzarella & Basil, Cheese, Lemonade

7 Likes

The Ranch (Anaheim)

Sea Urchin Bisque - probably a little too light to be calling it a bisque. Some cream for body, but I think it was too thin for it to be a bisque. The shrimp garnish was hammered, but the fried head was good. Would not order, again.

Pork chop - this is one of the finest pork chops I’ve had in quite some time. Perfectly cooked…like perfectly cooked inside. Well seasoned, too! Loved the corn mashed potatoes underneath and the sauce was super rich and umami.

16 Likes

Bisque can be thick. Just needs to be rich and creamy.