June 2023 Rundown

hey june

6 Likes

6 Likes

Starting off June with some tacos

El compita and guelaguetza (not to be confused with ktown) at the 110 pch parking lot.

I’ve never been here on a weekday, way less vendors but the mainstays are all there.

2 asadas a buche and suadero.

11 Likes

Nothing better than watching all these nice healthy people going into Whole Foods while I’m devouring 2 pounds (precooked weight) of bacon in my car in the parking lot.

Pre-pimpin photo:

14 Likes

Wowwww 2lbs lol is that like half the tray?

Keto food. You need to eat fat.

I filled up half of one of their containers. Weighed 3/4 of a pound with my tiny portion of eggs and 1 sausage link.

Just an FYI, 2 lbs of uncooked bacon will yield about 10oz cooked. 30-33% yield.

4 Likes

Looks like a >2000 calorie breakfast

1 Like

PSA: Long Beach Creamery has Chocolate Malted Crunch.

5 Likes

Lucky 1

Custard filled pineapple buns! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Lao Xi # 2. Barely any egg on the tomato egg part of this dish. I like the meat parts and of course the noodles.

Luyu Dumplings. Good dumplings but I think prefer nearby Cindy’s.

Mandarin Noodle House. I like the noodles and they are generous with the beef, but the broth ain’t my thang. I think I went here decades ago when I was a kid. They are an OG

12 Likes

If you’re visiting the Bay Area and are by Santana Row/Westfield, avoid Momosan. I was mildly curious about Iron Chef Morimoto’s ramen and sake concept and boy it was majorly disappointing.

The server hyped up the “Crispy duck tacos” as the most ordered appetizer.

Duck was not crispy. Taco shell was crispy. It was hard to eat because the duck breast would not easily tear with your teeth, so you had to just commit to eating a whole slice of duck in your bite.

I had the chicken ramen. Broth tasted like a commercial chicken noodle soup in the worst way. Lacked dimensions and was flat. The chicken topping tasted like it was cooked hours ago and then reheated. Portions of all toppings and noodles were massive.

5/10, would not ramen again.

7 Likes

Is this the one in Monterey Park? We literally just ate there for lunch today. They’re not our absolute favorite for beef noodle soup but it’s our regular, most convenient place

Yup MP at Garvey x Atlantic. I prefer Corner Beef Noodle House the broth is more complex and somewhat close to my grandmas style.

I been eye banging this chicken sandwich for the past 3 years from the east coast….finally!

Yeah this bangs hard. Might be one of the best chicken sandwiches and fried chicken for that matter like ever. You could totally make a case if it’s better or a little less better than Howlin Rays.

Should I get the cod sandwich too? Lol that would mean no dinner for me

14 Likes

I think the soft shell crabs that sergio mei lin was posting about on IG would be more interesting, but hell yeah get the cod

3 Likes

That hikarimono avatar is also tempting me for some seafood

1 Like

AOC. First time at the new 3rd St location. Very nice space and good to see it pretty crowded on a Tuesday night. Mostly good to very good plates with a clunker.

Jamon, cherry tomato and sheep’s milk cheese focaccia that are like a pizza. Delicious. Warm, crusty and easy to eat. Usually not a fan of uncooked cured meats on pizza.

Brioche with prosciutto, frisée, Gruyère and egg. Good flavors but kind of a pain to cut and eat. Very thick and hard to get a bite with every component.

Polenta with mushrooms, Swiss chard and maracapone. Comforting homey dish. Eat quickly as the polenta started to stiffen up as it lost heat. I blame this on user error as we let the dish sit while we were in the middle of conversation.

Spanish fried chicken with cumin and romesco. Who doesn’t like spiced chicken tenders. Better than Canes. Very nice portion size.

Halibut beans and nettles. Another great warm comforting dish out of the oven. Great flavor combination. Halibut was perfect. Wish we had extra bread to sop up the sauce.

Lamb chops with yogurt and carrots. The lamb chop was well cooked but the flavors were a little tame compared to some of the other dishes. Only 2 pieces of lamb for $36.

Prawns with saffron pasta and breadcrumbs. This was a clunker. The pasta was unevenly cooked with a few big hunks of pasta stuck together. The shrimp was very fishy tasting to me. I did not like the dish at all. Did not send back or mention anything as somebody else at the table liked it.

Italian broccoli with dukkah. Needed some greens and these were nice. Dukkah on the side added a good crunch and kick.

11 Likes

That Lorenzo sandwich spot in Beverly Hills. Today’s special is a braised tripe in light tomato sauce with burrata and arugula. Tasty!

Tip: Call in before you go - the wait will be at least 30 minutes. Meters in front and public parking structure right around the corner.

11 Likes

How was it? Jenn Harris featured this place on her IG recently but not this specific sandwich.

Radna Silom

14 Likes