June 2024 Rundown

Upstairs is for lease. It used to be a dance studio.

2 Likes

is horses still any good? Edit nm it’s too far west for my plans

saffy’s

1 Like

Have rezzies to both Saffys and Donna’s will decide which one tonight

1 Like

Saffy’s is better food but Donna’s is better vibes and still fun food. That’s kinda my take.

1 Like

Openaire: Blah. Don’t recommend. Doesn’t merit the hassle of uploading pictures with this ridiculous system. Stupid Michelin selection. Peony says “It’s fine.”

1 Like

La carreta- best asada tacos in LA area

Zait and zataar great chicken shawerma wrap

3 Likes

@hungryhungryhippos

Which La Carreta is this? Is it: https://www.instagram.com/tacos_lacarreta/

Also, was that tortilla underneath the taco in your picture as chewy and delicious as it looks?

1 Like

Alimento in SL is solid. Marouche or Carousel in HW. You can Tabula Rasa across from Carousel.

Yes it’s that one.

They import their tortillas I believe and they smear beef fat on both the torito and the choreada.

They also have a brick and mortar

3 Likes

Hello Sushi in Fullerton $31.99 Lunch. 94 Pieces

8 Likes

Sake2Me Sushi at Newport, $39.99* Lunch ($32.99 from Monday to Thursday lunch). 91 pieces.

Sake2Me Sushi at Newport still remains to be my favorite all you can eat sushi restaurant, topping Hello Sushi and Sushi Dami.

All of their Nigiris tasted better than Hello Sushi that I had yesterday. There were less rice in Sake2Me’s Nigiris than Hello Sushis’. They even provided 6 “premium” nigiris which tastes like decent nigiris you would get from sushi restaurants. I even had an appetite for the Tamago Nigiri I had for my 91th bite and I had room to chug a glass of water. Unfortunately I didn’t realize that Friday wasn’t part of the $32.99 lunch days, so I paid $7 more.

To give Hello Sushi credit, their tip default options were reasonable:

• 15%
  • 18%
  • 20%

Also, Hello Sushi has a Happy Hour Lunch promo of $19.99 with their lunch menu minus nigiris and special rolls.

9 Likes

3 Likes

Lola Gaspar. Michelin bib gourmand tacos in Santa Ana. Good, recommended.

5 Likes

Eastside Bean and Cheese Burrito Bang Bang. Green at Al N Beas. Red at Lupe’s. Pics of burritos was of potato quality so I didn’t post. Another highlight is conversations with a real OG and some locals

10 Likes

La Casa De La Baleada, LBC

First time with Honduran food. Got a basic baleada and a breakfast plate. Will have to try more from this cuisine.

@EattheWorldLA been to any of these Honduran street stands in South Central and Southeast LA? I see the easy to recognize flag.

9 Likes

Tacos La Carreta in Long Beach. The truck. Excellent smoky charred carne asada. Definitely pay extra for the larger flour tortillas. Love the charred onions and grilled pepper on the side. The one quibble is that they distribute their hot sauce in tied up little plastic baggies. Very hard to rip off a corner and distribute the salsa on the tacos.

12 Likes

Checo’s Seafood:

1 Like

Pa Ord Noodle

Crispy Catfish Curry &
Crispy Pork Belly Rad Nah

Crispy catfish curry is still undefeated to me - absurdly umami and aromatic - rice is a necessary.

Rad Nah is with a bump of extra white pepper remains undefeated. Perfectly cooked gailan thats snappy and tender, silky rich gravy with molar-shattering crispy moo krob. The noodles had the smokey wok hei aroma to keep things interesting

Metztli Taqueria

founder is leaving the business so I had to allocate a cheat meal to try one last time. Taco Tuesdays meant $3 tacos which is a steal IMO

Tuna Tostada - Albacore Lime Miso Peanut Salsa Macha, Pico de Gallo, Avocado

Crispy Potato Taco - Yuzu Kosho Crema, caramelized onion salsa macha

Campechano Taco - Lamb Neck & Beef Cheek guisado, miso peanut salsa macha, avocado salsa, pickled onions

Pork Belly Guisado Taco - tomatillo-arbol salsa, avocado salsa, pickled onion

Fish Tempura Taco - rockfish, cabbage, yuzu kosho crema, chipotle aioli

Overall - a good sendoff for them. All fantastic bites, though the fish tempura was slightly the weakest without having seasoned the rockfish itself.

10 Likes

You had me at “smear beef fat”.

1 Like