Jyan Isaac Bread

It is here and it is spectacular.

Sourdough, sourdough rye, olive, and cinnamon raisin. Dangerously good.

13 Likes

Olive… FOUGASSE… has this guy been reading my dreams?

2 Likes

Ya that thing is so good. I’ve been buying it at the Beverly Hills farmers market for almost a year now.

2 Likes

Messed up and gave baby a bit of the rye during lunch and she then refused the entire rest of her meal

6 Likes

Is this the bakery that’s more expensive than Gjusta? If so, worth the price? Partner was asking about it recently.

Worth every penny in my opinion

3 Likes

The bread is phenomenal. As close to Poîlane as I’ve had in LA.

3 Likes

I don’t mind olive bread but don’t love it. But their vendor at BHFM talked me into buying it once. Convert! :blush:

2 Likes

The closest to Poilâne in LA are the Poilâne loaves Jordan at Heritage Wines in Beverly Hills imports each week. Haven’t checked in about a year but if I recall he gets it on Thursdays.

8 Likes

Nice tip @TriTip.

100% agree that it’s worth every penny. Spent $11 for the seeded sourdough.

8 Likes

Pretty picture.

1 Like

Huge tip, TriTip! You made my weekend. :pray:

1 Like

I’d double check before making the trek, just to be sure. You never know these days.

Heritage Beverly Hills

2 Likes

They’re at the Venice farmers market now as well. Love the baguette and the bagels. Sourdough is also really good but on that I still give the edge to Gjusta.

2 Likes

Poilâne is as close to Acme as I’ve had in Paris.

1 Like

Haha! I much prefer Poilâne’s grains, density and complexity. It’s one of the few loaves that evolves after sitting on the counter for three days. Josey Baker is similar, but also it’s own thing and hard to compare. But love Acme too. They are different animals, like comparing DTF XLB to traditional XLB. Have you tried Midwife & The Baker yet in Mountain View? I usually get at Bi-Rite though.

1 Like

I’ll buck the trend and say that I do not get the hype with this bread. I only tried it once and it was a while back now, but it (a) was noticeably undercooked (underbaked?) and (b) lacked any memorable taste. I wouldn’t put Jyan Isaac anywhere close to Bub & Grandma’s, and there are several other options I would choose over Jyan Isaac if Bub & Grandma’s is not an option.

The enthusiasm in this thread is making me think I should give Jyan Isaac a second shot, I suppose.

1 Like

Steve Sullivan and Nancy Silverton both studied with Poilâne in Paris.

1 Like

I have been to Poilane in Paris a few times. While their bread is good, it is hardly the gold standard. Bub and Grandma, Lodge, Clark Street, Bread Lounge, Gjusta, Milo & Olive all produce fantastic breads quite comparable to the most I have had in France. Jyan Isaac is a welcome addition to LA bread scene!

1 Like