Kato - Extended Tasting Menu

They need one of those out here.

A few changes at Kato from a dinner last week. First, pictures of new/changed items:

Wagyu tartare

Sweet shrimp, nori, rice

Chicken liver monaka

Nodoguro, tomato, shiso

Duck rice(!)

Duck with nectarines

Melon, yogurt, shaved ice

Boba, boniato yam, cheese (technically not new I guess; that delicious fresh, warm boba hidden inside :drooling_face:)

The caviar course also changed but my picture was coming in rotated so I passed on posting. It looks very similar to what’s been served before, just now with corn and crab. Still probably one of the best items on the menu, especially with the bread.

The duck was just ok but nectarines were good. Personally, the real highlight in the mains was the duck rice! Amazing flavor. :drooling_face: I haven’t been reading the board as much so maybe I missed it but the only rice included was the duck rice. If you want something to soak up leftover sauces from the fish and scallop courses you might want to save some bread (which might be difficult since it goes so well with the caviar course :drooling_face:)

Both desserts were much better for me then when I was there in February. The melon shaved ice was really melon 4 (or 5?) different ways. You can see it on top, it’s in the yogurt, it’s in the ice, and there’s another melon sorbet or something inside. Perhaps maybe a syrup too? Can’t remember because I got too busy trying to devour it. I really really liked this. Boba was also great and I’m happy they brought it back.

Also took the opportunity to try the non-alcoholic flight and it was quite nice! Every dish is paired with something and if you get the wagyu supplement you’ll also get a pairing (with added charge) for it. A good mix of cocktails and bottled non-alcoholic wines (sparkling rose, sauvignon blanc, etc.). Was fun to try.

FYI, middle of the week at 8 PM the bar looked like it had plenty of space.

Thanks to @moonboy403 for the last minute invite!

10 Likes

You r right, melon is in everything. This past or maybe last weeks episode of good food they talk about how they make it from weiser farms melons

2 Likes
3 Likes

The caviar, melon kakigori, and braised beef tendon component of the wagyu dish were absolute standouts followed by a very good fish fragrant scallop dish and duck rice. But the rest of the savory courses were just decent to me.

I felt that flavor balance of some courses were a bit off the mark. For example, the small slivers of smoky nogoduro ate great on its own but its delicate flavor was washed out by the halved tomatoes when eaten together.

Then there was the duck course and what I presume to be a play on the sweet and sour plum sauce on a Chinese roast duck dish. Nectarine and mixed sorrels played the role of plum sauce next to the slice of roasted five spiced duck but the ripe nectarine ate really sweet so it felt like a rather strange combination.

1 Like
4 Likes

I think I had the duck (might have been steak?) as an add on many months ago when I tried Kato and that was the main miss at my meal too, very overcooked. But other than that was a great meal, looks good.

1 Like

I think that besides their excellence in food, the addition of a top notch wine program (and glassware), alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails, and their exceptional warmth of service, make “new” Kato a very special place.

2 Likes

Kato = 4 stars but n/naka = 5 stars :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Though I frequently enjoy her writing style, Ms. Yeo (or Time Out, for that matter) isn’t really my idea of an authoritative source on L.A. dining. You guys are.

4 Likes

Went to the bar at Kato when they opened today and had everything from the a la carte bar menu, with the exception of the crab rice. Apparently they mix the crab fat with uni (which my wife has a mild allergy to). Everything was excellent including the cocktails. Bamboo cocktail is very interesting and savory, the sloe gin fizz is a fun experience and tasty, but light). Wife liked her Bamboo more than the Bee’s Knees with sansho pepper, which could maybe have benefited more from more numbing sensation. We both like the Verbena at the Chandelier bar at the Cosmo in Vegas which has a Szechuan peppercorn flower.

Parker house rolls are a good rendition. Uni donut was my favorite dish, the molten center is a flavor bomb and you still pick up the taste of the ham. Chicken liver with stonefruit was delicious, well balanced without overwhelming chicken liver flavor. It comes with griddled parker house rolls so I would order this over the parker house rolls by themselves. Spot prawn dish was a banger, the gelee on top has a strong acetic acid flavor that is balanced out by the raw prawns. Both the uni and the spot prawn were expensive ($20+ for a small portion) and yet I regret nothing. Fried maitake are what you would hope for, meyer lemon > regular lemon slice was a nice choice. Boniato yam/boba was as tasty as people say.

9 Likes

Saw a few bits of the bar tasting menu come out to the other two couples dining there at the same time. Looked like they had 4/8 seats take by the bar tasting at a 5:30 start time, and we had a bit over an hour before they needed our seats for another set of folks. At least for now, it seems like walk-in bar seats could lead to disappointment if you don’t come at opening or later in the night. There was a bit of overlap between the a la carte and the bar tasting, but they are getting quite a few more courses. Really impressed by the beverage program. Creative cocktails and tons of non-alcoholic options that are really interesting sounding. Believe they have de-alcoholised wines and grape juice from wine varietals.

6 Likes

Kato’s non-alcoholic beverage program is probably the best in the city right now.

2 Likes

I’m curious about the dealcoholized wines, because I’ve never had any I’ve liked, but haven’t tried any recently. Have they improved in taste?

That butter is piped out so prettily!

Note that even at the bar they add a service charge to the bill. They were clear that it was there when presenting the bill and I had no confusion about tipping more (despite there being a tip line on the bill).

2 Likes

Haven’t been to too many restaurants that include the service charge to the bill, is it normal to include additional tips? Or is the service charge sufficient?

Unless the place has honor and doesn’t include a tip line on the printed receipt, yes they want more money. At least now more places are clear about wanting more money.

(The below pic is not from Kato)

2 Likes

It sure is getting complicated dining out now. I’d actually be quite confused if I read that while dining… is there a general % that they’re looking on top?

From my understanding, the additional tip line is typically there to appease the front of the house because service charges that are redistributed amongst front and back of the house inevitably lowers the front’s overall salary compare to other restaurants. It’s always a mess when any restaurant wants to implement the service charge route because their front of the house staff would wanna work at other restaurants that don’t do this. But how else can they increase BOH’s pay otherwise?

3 Likes