Kato - Extended Tasting Menu

Awesome and welcome! Wasn’t trying to be rude just asking a more direct question as it seemed to be 3 posts of “I hated this place” and 1 post of “I really liked this place”. Looking forward to your review of angler!

2 Likes

IIRC, it used to cost much less (~$50).

1 Like

Warrior: Peony and I really like Kato, but we haven’t been back in a while for a few reasons. I agree with posts complaining about leaving hungry. I always left hungry myself. I also didn’t like bringing a wine and then drinking it out of ceramic mugs. Glassware makes a difference. And for us, it is hard to get to (we don’t own a car).

This conversation is reminding me of a scene from
L.A. Story. “Gee, I’m done already and I don’t even remember eating anything.

8 Likes
4 Likes

I :hearts: that the Young Chef Award winner’s favorite movie is Ratatouille. Perfect.

3 Likes

Kato was the last restaurant I dined in at (March 12th, 2020) pre-pandemic and I was super excited to go back.

The courses were the same, with a few tweaks here and there for seasonality, and overall I left feeling like Chef Yao’s game is still one of the strongest in LA. Yeah there are some gripes–the patio wasn’t that great to dine on and it is still quite a lean amount of food–but I’ll be damned if there are a couple bites here that are among my favorites of the year.

The following dishes are scored by eye-rolls (when I eat something transcendent my eyes involuntarily roll back into my skull so here it is a good thing) :roll_eyes:

Tuna, Cilantro

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

3 Cup Abalone

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Tapioca, Brown Butter, Uni

:roll_eyes: x50

Tomato

:roll_eyes:

Shrimp Toast

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Egg Custard

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Chinese Style Steamed Fish

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Short Rib, Pear

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Yogurt, Melon

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Boniato Yam Tapioca, Fresh Cheese, Sable

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Besides the tapioca and uni, the shrimp toast was my favorite bite of the night, and reignited my love of the dish (which I’m now actively searching for).

15 Likes

Does that emoji look happier to you than it does to me?

2 Likes

I love your new rating system. But what’s the range of the :roll_eyes: scale? :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:

Also, where did you eat after for your real meal?

6 Likes

That represents his eyes rolling up in his head.

3 Likes

I’m unsure if I love this rating system or your power rankings more.

5 Likes

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

“When I use an emoji,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make emoji mean so many different things.”

“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

2 Likes

@moonboy403 generally 0-5, but really :infinity:

Post bang at Ave 26 Tacos… unremarkable to comment on but it filled stomach space

@robert truth is :roll_eyes: and subjectivity is :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Very nice…quite a schlep coming from Kato.

1 Like

The Little Tokyo location is just a few blocks away from me so it was highly convenient on the way home :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah the last few times I had Ave 26, I was pretty underwhelmed.

1 Like

kato moving into m.georgina at the row.

a bang bang with hayato and prd would be perfect!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWdzICiPTEz/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWcDTZGrrIm/

7 Likes

Cat’s out of the bag. I swore a death pact to keep this secret until someone else outed it.

1 Like