Keeping Cantonese cooking alive.....Pearl River Delta/Deli and Needle

Ohmygase

1 Like

Definitely look like freshly cooked, but cooled, rice.

6 Likes

Wonton/wantan mee is a common thing in Singapore and Malaysia. Egg noodles, char siu, greens, and boiled or fried wontons. You can get a dry or soup version, with sauces, sambal chilli and cut chili padi on the side. The dry version comes with the soup on the side. I prefer the dry version.

It’s actually my favorite meal ever, and the first thing I eat whenever I land, usually making a pitstop on the way from the airport! My whole family knows I am dying for wonton mee when I get there So they always take care of me. :grin:

6 Likes

And he tagged uncle roger, :joy: to be honest that whole rice washing thing is bit over blown. East Asian way of making rice is totally different then the middle Eastern and south Asian esp with basmati

6 Likes

Interesing!

English wiki page for Singaporean won ton noodles says this

" Singapore wonton noodles includes noodles, leafy vegetables (preferably cai-xin ), barbecued pork ( char siu ) and bite-sized dumplings or wonton . It is either served dry or in soup form with the former being more popular. If served dry, the wontons will be served in a separate bowl of soup. Shui jiao or prawn dumplings are served at some stalls and the original Hong Kong version is available at Cantonese restaurants and noodle joints. Fried wontons (wontons deep fried in oil) are sometimes served instead of those boiled in the soup. The Singaporean and Malaysian versions of the wonton noodle are similar to each other, though the Singapore version uses significantly less soya sauce and is often served with chili ketchup."

Chinese wikipedia page for won ton noodles gives a bit more perspective

For the section that says “overseas development/evolution”

Rough translation: Won Ton noodles were brought into Singapore and Malaysia from Chinese immigration (or migration) between the end of the 19th century to the 20th century. As a result of the heat and humidity which favored the preference and tastes for heavier flavored food, it was popular for soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and sesame oil to be used in seasoning dry noodles (ie broth on the side/lo mein). The addition of greens and char siu were incorporated, and it was called 乾撈麵 (Cantonese: Gon Lo Mein). Variations included the addition of shitake with braised chicken feet, roast pork (siu yuk) or the application of curry sauce. Adding pickled peppers was also common practice. As a result of multiple condiments, the size of the wontons were made smaller based on operating costs. The sauces used for this style of lo mein would vary in Malaysia, for example in Kuala Lumpur the dark lo mein sauce would consist of dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce and lard etc. In Penang to the North, the lo mein sauce is lighter in complexion. Johor style would include the addition of tomato sauce (or tomato paste/ketchup) with a sweet and sour taste.

But from what boogiebaby says, it appears you can find a lot of variations including the Cantonese themed ones.

In terms of the Cantonese themed ones that resemble Guangzhou / Hong Kong style over in Singapore… it is unclear if the dried roasted fish is flounder, halibut or another type of flatfish (generic name), and if flounder how much of that is genetically similar to the ones you have at the traditional wonton noodle shops in Hong Kong.

I’m a fan of dry / lo mein too, and I do have a fondness for the wider egg noodles myself since it’s easier for the various sauces and condiments to cling to it.

4 Likes

Prototypical Malaysian-Canto-KL style “konlow (dry mix)” wonton noodle set. Difference vs HK style is the dark slightly sweet soy sauce mix to bind the noodles. Imagine the soy sauce poured over cheong fun dim sum, just a thicker & oilier (lard and fried shallot oil) version. Noodles in soup is also available, however its generally less popular.

As you head south to Singapore, things become more ‘colorful’. The most distinctive difference is the appearance of the much sweeter (ketchupy) sauce; something along the lines of the sauce used in Taiwanese o-a-chien (fried oysters). Presentation is similar however the pickled green chili condiment may be substituted with a chili sauce instead.

I should also mention, blanched chinese mustard is the defacto greens.

10 Likes

mans makes a batch every day just for fried rice it’s pretty funny. the rice itself fresh is actually so good, amazing fragrance and great bite. then at the EOD he wraps it all up and cools it to use for fried rice the next day it kinda kills me but the fried rice that results from this is also absolutely killer so not complaining

2 Likes

So they are day old rice?

as far as i know, yes (as in I literally saw chef wrapping it up and putting it in the fridge to use the next day). also the rice is made small batch throughout the day

1 Like

Thanks Euno for the behind the scenes look!

Did you get to be a guinea pig for any new dishes?

1 Like

Nah not this time! It was more of a consistency check and just kind of “how are things coming along” tasting. I saw Ryan laughing as he went hard as a mo------ker on basting the duckburger with extra fat because that was a comment I made before. But no joke, it actually helped the dish a lot because you really need the gamey/fatty profile of the duck to come thru, something that gets a little muddled when you mince since the fatty skin does not exist distinctly from the muscle. I will be sure to report back if I see anything new.

4 Likes

Uncle Roger in da house @hppzz

3 Likes

#chasiuchallenge #topreheater

had to do the thai style fried egg and koshihikari rice

14 Likes

Damn that looks good, well done.

2 Likes

Presentation points deducted for the stray grains of rice on the char siu :joy:

4 Likes

That’s the finishing salt! Padma, please pack your knives and go :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Lol :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Wait til Uncle Roger comes around for the critique

1 Like

if you want to ding him, get him for not wiping his plate edges clean

4 Likes

And where’s the light drizzle of premium soy sauce for the egg :grin:? (Don’t let mom see that you’re not having a few stalks of choy sum or gai lan in there…)

Those are some ricey looking salt crystals!

3 Likes