Keeping Cantonese cooking alive.....Pearl River Delta/Deli and Needle

great behind the scenes report @euno, would love to see more reports like that.

2 Likes

JUDGES, JUDGES. HEAR ME OUT, it was late, i was talking on the phone with a friend, my knee is busted, epstein, wayfair, something something (knocks over plate and runs away)

3 Likes

appreciate that. sorry i just don’t want to get anyone in trouble. I would love to use my access to really exemplify the places I think do things the right way, but also there is a concern that too much BTS will lead to

(a) chefs/operators getting called out/caught off guard for something they did not intend to publicize (I cannot reconcile my messaging with this as it would be a breach of integrity) – this is not to say I don’t trust the FTC regs, but more the fact that this is technically public with a lot of lurkers.

(b) a perception that I’m too buddy buddy with certain chefs/operators, which I am already wary of. i definitely have friends in this industry that I cannot/will not write about, and I think I care about needle’s mission (and food) so much that maybe it’s starting to cross that line so I had to make a call.

i’m sure you guys understand that for someone like me who is expected to be impartial, who pays for all of his own meals and doesn’t take free rides (though I will take a last minute rezzy :stuck_out_tongue:) it’s a bit of a tight rope. I think most chefs/operators have a professional respect for that though (at least the ones I talk to).

7 Likes

Docking points for that piece of char siu circled in green. It’s gonna be one salty piece! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Needle is doing Hong Kong Milk Tea btw. Chef is using his own blend. @moonboy403 @beefnoguy

5 Likes

Don’t see it on the website yet.

When is he gonna take a stab at cheong fun?!

1 Like

Curious if this blend will be potent enough for a proper HK Milk Tea?

1 Like

Subject to interpretation.

The classic formula at most HK cafes in Hong Kong is Ceylon black tea from Sri Lanka (and also at times, Lipton from the UK depending on the Milk Tea Sergio) of varying leaves (typically 3 blends of differing ratios, each contributing towards color, aroma, and flavor on the texture and size of the leaves and perhaps roasting levels) then after blending is the brewing process and then ratios of evaporated milk to tea, and finally when to add condensed milk (or use sugar).

Slanted Door (SF) is/was using a 7 leaf blend. It was robust and perhaps a bit too aromatic in some parts (memory is fuzzy, been a while but I might even have picked up some Jasmine notes).

So as long as it tastes good, it’s fine! Please report back for those who will try it. Curious what kind of milk he will be using, or if he will also do a cold version (of which the HK cafes have a differing ratio when it comes to making that for chilled milk teas).

1 Like

Wonder if the pantyhose brewing technique will be employed :thinking:?

5 Likes

They gotta strain the tea somehow!

Shouldn’t be evaporated or condensed milk by default? I guess unless they concentrate milk themselves?

I meant that in a positive manner. Necessary to strain that fine ground tea for the ideal strong HK milk tea cuppa!

One of the best food smells ever! Walking into a Cha Chaan Teng with milk tea aroma in the air…awwww

4 Likes

I hear ya. It’s also probably the cheapest way to have such fine straining capability too!

1 Like

@euno please convey expectations… you can Snapchat BTS (FTC style) too :grin:

For the classic version, it’s always been evaporated milk. The question is whether a tea Sergio chooses to pour the milk in the cup first then tea on top of it (usually the case) and in what ratios.

The sweetener started off as sugar and hardcore purists might skip the sugar and just drink it straight.

Condensed milk is for those who want to swap the sugar out and make the taste smoother. Some fool themselves thinking it’s healthier… but it’s way more calorific for sure.

It can be argued that it’s not HK milk tea without the multiple leaf blend and evaporated milk or a flavor close to it. But if a similar flavor can be achieved, it is fine…for example the Slanted Door 7 leaf blend version, it might be a fun change of pace. I think there is condensed milk in their version for sure though I don’t know if they use evaporated milk or not.

Given that pork belly was used for char siu, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were changes made to the approach. As long as you guys love it, it’s all good. And given Chef Ryan’s reputation amongst you guys, I’m sure he will make something very tasty.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Needle/PRD if you come and visit someday! (Silver Lake Wine is nearby for impromptu pairings with Canto food!)

1 Like

I’m under the impression that both of them are the same with the exception of having much more sugar in condensed milk (although the sugar does impart a different flavor during processing).

Different, evaporated milk has a milkier intensity. Furthermore the lack of sugar allows one to add a sufficient amount of milk to temper the strong tea brew while still drinkable (and not cause diabetes in the long haul)

Wonder why evaporated milk is not popular in the US?

What I meant was that they way they’re processed is the same other than condensed milk having sugar added. I think they both aim for the same amount of water evaporation.

Because 'Muricans think very lowly of canned stuff.

I always felt for the same quantity, evaporated milk seems more flavorful.

Only prob is evaporated doesn’t store as long in the fridge after opening compared to condensed milk which last forever… ( :point_left: J.K :chipmunk: please note - sugar :+1:…). I usually toss out evaporated milk once mold begins to form ( :point_left: J.K pls make note… :-1:)

2 Likes