Korean BBQ - 2021 Update

Not long. You could always put your name in there and across the plaza at Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong. I’m guessing you’ll get a table within 15 minutes that early on a weeknight. Plus, you can drink outside at Quarters while waiting for them both, which is a great advantage of that plaza.

6 Likes

I have company coming from out of town, and I’m looking for a more moderate budget/not high end option for Korean BBQ. Parks is typically my go-to but it’s too pricey for these guests. Any reps and if so, recommendations of what to order there?

Ssam. Get one of the combos.

1 Like

Magal could be another good option

2 Likes

I second Magal.

2 Likes

I went to Park’s recently. Banchan included 3 tortilla chips and salsa. Is this normal (at Park’s or KBBQ elsewhere these days)?

1 Like

guess it’s normal at Park’s these days. But wtf

3 Likes

That’s funny! I’m not alone in finding this odd.

How was the salsa?

4 Likes

Unremarkable!

3 Likes

The fabled chips and salsa has been around for a little while at least.

Wait, is that a corn salsa???

I still think it’s a WTF move for an upscale Korean BBQ place.

2 Likes

MUN Korean Steakhouse - 6th St

We had no wait times or problem getting this table on Mother’s Day for a group of 7 adults and 2 chowpups.

The banchan was adequate. My favorite was the Jangajji (pickled vedg) - nice & crunchy, salty, sweet.

Bulgogi Yuk Jeon

With the banchan came these thin beef patties w/crispy, caramelized edges & sweet, salty bulgogi seasoning. Served w/a mustardy onion salad. One said it’s reminiscent of milanese. I said cube steak, but we all said yummy. :blush:

Japchae (glass noodle stir fry)

Japchae is the chowpups favorite. :slightly_smiling_face:

Two “Variety Combos” seemed the logical choice for our group, but the server pushed the “MUN’S Choice” as the better selection. Okay? We didn’t quibble and ordered it with an alc Honeycomb Pork Belly.

MUN serves thicker meat cuts. It’s beefy with lotsa chew. No thin-sliced brisket or beef belly. :smirk: Most of the carnivores were very happy with the cuts, but we had a few carne asada lovers who had a problem with the meat being rare to med-rare. The comments were “Please keep it on the fire. Kill it. We want it dead.” This was a problem as the fire under our grill was weak and eventually went kaput. Subsequently, you won’t see the sizzling pork belly because it had to be finished on another table grill. On a positive note: MUN has superior ventilation.

MUN Stew (jjigae)

The broth is so good. I could not stop eating this even as my nasal passages started to open & flow. :hot_pepper::two_hearts::hot_pepper:

Complimentary Seasonal Slushie

Lightly fruity & sweet, smooth texture. Happy pups.

You already have my musical review. :wink: I can’t really describe the decor… kinda glam but not really. The diners skew young & chic and the all-male servers are purposely young & hunky. There were some glitches but we had a good time and would probably return.

If I’m comparing young, fun (and loud) KBBQ spots, I’m still going with Quarters for the meat selections, the grills, the fun bar atmosphere and comfort of the seating.

Quarters - 6th St

Cold Noodle Scallion Salad is good (heavy on the raw scallion), but my favorite of the salads is the Broccoli Salad w/Pinenuts, Golden Raisins, Red Onions and a sweet creamy dressing (maybe white miso). So good.

Their Japchae is a favorite and the pups love it.

Steamed Eggs & Kimchi Stew (jjigae)

I can’t remember my impression of either.

I think this is the Large ($165 serves 4-5) Rib Eye, Marinated Beef Short Rib, Grilled Bulgogi, Beef Belly, Pork Belly, Pork Jowl & alc Brisket

Not a lot of photos of the finished product, because we were too busy stuffing our gullets & wrangling toddlers.

Quarters is a family fave that hubs & I, the millennials and the pups can all agree on. The meat is good. The wait is doable (usually less than 30 minutes) and there’s places for shopping, drinks & dessert after. I agree with a few Yelpers who write about the sometimes slow & forgetful service. But we tend to give them a pass. It’s not an easy or high paid job and the place is always packed.

Happy KBBQ Eating!

13 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion! We didn’t end up making it but I’ll tuck this away for future guests.

Which “mid-city” Korean BBQ place is this?

2 Likes

Was wondering the same when I read the article - which I loved BTW
Though, I questioned the beer choice…where’s the Cass/Hite/Cloud?

Related: Can someone explain to me the emergence of Terra? It seems to have replaced Hite/OB as the beer of choice at many of my favorite ktown eateries

A bunch of popular K Dramas featured the characters drinking Terra.

Terra is made by HiteJinro, so probably they’re promoting it over Hite?

Kangnam Restaurant - 4103 W Olympic Blvd.

Used to be one of the few Korean restaurants that pressed their own buckwheat noodles for a small surcharge.

Sadly no longer an option.

3 Likes