Koreatown - 2019 to

I don’t think they have eundaegu joorim? or at least I’ve never tried it there.

Mapo Kkak Doo Gee has a milder but solid version of eundaegu joorim that I’ve had twice in recent months, and it’s not too expensive prob $35?

their godeungeo jorim is great.

1 Like

they have ONE table at Jun Won! just reserve it :slight_smile:

yes, we will have to do that. miss them.

I chalk it up to a double standard you’ve likely written about at some point - While a normal price point for most restaurants nowadays, I still expect a Ktown Korean dinner (or Thai or SGV Chinese) to be cheaper. It’s not fair, but it’s what we’ve to date been used to for a lot of ethnic cuisines.

I was shocked to see a favorite of ours, Sri Siam’s crispy rice salad, is now $19. I feel like it was $13 just a couple years ago.:pensive:

It wasn’t lost on me that we walked right in to Kobawoo at 5 pm on a saturday. And multiple tables stayed empty throughout our dinner. Left at 7 and it wasn’t full. In years past we always had to wait outside to get a dinner table.

2 Likes

yep, and it’s definitely going to take a while for people to understand that. Look at how often Asian restaurants are the ones getting fined/busted for wage theft/etc. It’s going to take a realignment of expectations.

3 Likes

It prob was $13 a few yrs ago! :frowning:

1 Like

I get it, but man, it must be hitting the locals who rely on these places (and the former price points) hard…:pensive:

of course it’s a classic story of gentrification, development, and capitalism. I think overall the pricing will always at least be competitive and rarely ever into like f*ck you pricing that places like Nobu or Catch charges. Value is and will always play into the Korean American mentality lol

2 Likes

Shin Beijing.

Satisfying Korean-style Chinese food in LA. I believe they make the noodles in house. Prices are good, too.

Tangsuyuk (sweet and sour pork)

Jjampong (this is half)

Mongolian beef

Jinsul Gukbap.

Busan style pork stews. Enjoyable and old school feeling. Looks like they’re opening another location around 8th iirc.

Boiled pork belly (medium) for ssam

Bibim naengmyeon

11 Likes

I haven’t had some good Korean Chinese in a minute! Missing young king!

How’s their jajangmyun?

Not technically K-town but for Bo Ssam, don’t sleep on Myung Ga. This is now $42 and comfortably fed 3 people along with super tasty galbi tang.

5 Likes

Great article, Matthew. It’s interesting to see the evolution of the neighborhood.

5 Likes

thank you! appreciate the share.

2 Likes

My Korean friends and I joke that Dan Sung Sa is for non-Korean people now.”

Sad to say that’s no joke. What’s up with OB Bear?

2 Likes

last I heard it’s still down for the count? I need to check in.

1 Like

The first time I went to Dan Sung Sa nobody was speaking English. The last time, everyone was, and some of them were saying racist things about Koreans.

Their chicken is served at Star Night. Not sure if it’s a white label thing or quite how to refer to the relation. It’s good but not exacty the same as og OB.