Krimsey's Cajun Kitchen - Vegan

KCK claims to be the world’s first Cajun vegan restaurant, so that makes it unique, if nothing else.

It are located in a small strip mall on the SW corner of Victory and Coldwater Canyon. It is compact, containing just one large community table and three smaller tables. The white east wall and the blue west wall feature paintings, mirrors, shutters and a spice rack with Frank’s Red Hot, Calypso, Tabasco, cayenne and black pepper. Cajun and rock music played too loud for my tastes; I would have preferred just Cajun at a much lower volume. The music might have seemed louder than usual because I was the sole diner at 4:30 P.M. on a Wednesday.

I ordered the Cajun jambalaya with Cajun-spiced rice, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, green and red bell peppers, onion, garlic, and veggie sausage slices topped with fresh diced green onions, crunchy red cabbage, and spicy house sauce. Either I couldn’t spot the bell peppers or they were omitted. The “spicy” house sauce was a “creamy” pink sauce that seemed mild to me, so I added a lot of Frank’s Red Hot, which is similar to Tabasco with the addition of garlic powder - I can see why it’s so popular.

The rice was fairly firm and so was the veggie sausage. The sausage was mild and fairly dark, but to increase its resemblance to Andouille sausage, it should have been sliced, not diced.

I guess I’d give the dish a B minus, but this topic definitely needs more opinions. I am a carnivore, so I would find jambalaya made with chicken and Andouille sausage much more flavorful and with the rich mouthfeel of saturated fat. A vegan might be quite happy with this dish. My vegan recommendation would be Meals by Genet’s “Vegarian Combination” which I’d give an A plus.

My last visit to The Gumbo Pot was 2-5 years ago, and it has probably been 10-15 years since my last unsatisfying visit to Les Sisters, so I am no expert on Cajun cuisine. Hopefully more KCK diners will chime in. KCK is rated 4.9/5 on Facebook, so they must be doing something right.

KCK
12906 Victory Blvd.
NoHo 91606

http://krimseys.com/

3 Likes

This restaurant closed in 2020 during the pandemic.