LA Restaurant Hot Takes

even better when they were on Highland by Salt’s Cure :wink:

1 Like

Mexicali suffered the same fate way back when.

Mexicali is very good right now. It dipped a tad but been going back these days and it’s fantastic.

2 Likes

Warrior: Borneo Kalimantan is a solid restaurant. I had a fine lunch there today. I would recommend it for lunch in Alhambra. But truthfully, I wasn’t impressed by the laksa. Perhaps it’s neither fair nor helpful to say that their laksa (Singaporean style) isn’t as good as the laksa in Singapore, but that is how I feel. It was just too thin and lacking flavor, and the main ingredients (e.g., sad little shrimp) were unimpressive. I liked the chicken satay more.

1 Like

We love Guisados, especially their quesadilla. And super different 1986.

1 Like

Warrior: the best rice dish in LA is seafood bibimbap at Gamja Bawi in the Koreatown Plaza food court. This is actually one of the best overall Korean restaurants in LA, despite the basic banchan.

1 Like

I’m intrigued. Is that served in a hot stone bowl?

1 Like

Warrior: yes. And it forms a terrific “socarrat,” where you control the level with your stirring. I do recommend stirring up the bottom within about 30 seconds of bringing it to your table, because otherwise the bottom gets too burnt. After that first stir, there is more flexibility. There is a bit of an art to the stirring.

1 Like

Warrior: Let me show another great dish at this food court restaurant Gamja Bawi. It is called maewoontang sujaebi. Rough translation: spicy soup with dough chunks. The main ingredient is black cod. I thought the flavors and textures were spot on. This dish was completely satisfying and comforting. If I were served this at Soban or Shiku or whatever place you want to name, I would be happy. I actually liked it more than the black cod dish that Shiku used to have (though Majordomo used to have a thicker black cod stew that I found superior). The rice was great too—good flavor and perfect consistency for my tastes (a little firmer than most places). Obviously, the banchan are dinky. That’s my only criticism.

3 Likes

Is there one Actually Good kosher restaurant in LA? We’ve got some Orthodox family members so we have to go to those restaurants every time they’re in town, and I don’t think I’ve been to one place that I would ever go out of my way to return to.

2 Likes

Ta-eem is good if you don’t mind casual.

4 Likes

I think Helen meant ta-eem? And I second that otherwise check out dr. Sandwich another more casual spot. Additionally Jeff’s kosher sandwich makes good sausages.

1 Like

Charcoal Grill & Bar on Beverly. Delicious stuff. Good people watching.

1 Like

Majordomo is the most overrated restaurant in LA.

1 Like

Chengis Cohen

edit: not Chengis Cohen

Genghis Cohen - despite the name - is NOT Kosher.
Not by a long shot:

1 Like

oh what!? haha… was a thing i heard over and over when we lived a few blocks west of it. thanks. only had the 1 drunken meal there after a comedy show… didn’t even think about it

1 Like

Majordomo’s the best kosher restaurant in LA.

6 Likes

Is this a hot take? Idk.

QR code menus should stay forever.

(Obviously with the option of regular menus for people who don’t have smart phones.)

5 Likes

Joe’s Pizza in Santa Monica is the best NY slice in L.A. Just a smidgeon better than Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn (pepperoni chalices are overrated).

And know that business-wise, Joe’s Pizza SM is a stand-alone. In other words, it is NOT associated with the other (more mediocre) Joe’s Pizzas in various locations around town.

6 Likes