LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Makes comment about Porto’s line

Proceeds to recommend Costco cakes

:grin:

3 Likes

I knew someone was going to comment on that. :wink:

B*tch, I can’t get no Scandinavian smoked salmon, jamon iberico, or super cheap gas for the car at Portos (and the MDR Costco gas opens until like 9PM on weekdays)! Makes the line totally worth it. :wink:

BTW, I’m only getting 2 of the 3 items I listed above. :smiley:

3 Likes

Wait is it true Costco delivers? So I can use my dad’s account to get deliveries? Costco is too far for us humble city folk

1 Like

They do. I think it should be for business customers, but, when I just did a Google search, it looks like they do “grocery” delivery in select places. Let us know if you try it.

How do you have kids and no Costco account??? :wink:

Yes but if you’re used to warehouse prices the delivery prices are absurd.

2 Likes

City livers and lovers. Some day I guess.

3 Likes

I’m not a passive cake eater. If a good majority of my group hated the cakes, we find a better alternative, chip in more money and make that happen. The bakery of choice for us was Angel Maid.

1 Like

While 80% of Portos Baked goods are Meh. I find that the line situation moves quickly. I would much rather deal with a Portos line than a Costco one. Dear god those sheeple…

Looks nice

Guilty. I love Costco. I even have the half dozen or so I’ve been to in the LA area ranked in my head.

Sheep gif

5 Likes

Ha! That is fine… I totally get the appeal. But some folks seem to lose 20 IQ Points whenever they get to the register… It seems to take MUCH longer than it ever should…

Only tried it once, but I really enjoyed it. I sometimes find Japanese pastries a bit bland, but their cake hit the spot just right.

For a richer dessert that still not TOO sweet and rich, I like Pink Orchid (Persian) on Westwood. The honey cookies (asa li?) are lovely, IMHO.

Oh, my good lord yes. And the free sample lurkers clogging up high traffic areas: I would fire them into the sun if I could.

Monterey Park FTW

The new one?! It’s pretty nice!

That’s my usual but Van Nuys would be my favorite if distance isn’t a factor.

EDIT: Whoops! I haven’t been to Monterey Park yet, I was thinking of the Alhambra one. As I recall, early Yelp reviews were VERY upset about a lack of photo lab or something…? Hilarious. I’ll have to give Monterey Park a try!

What’s Costco?

2 Likes

Everyone seems to think Angel Maid is Japanese but they are not.
I think one of my co-workers said that it’s a Filipino bakery.
BTW, if going to a Filipino bakery, Goldilocks and Red Ribbon are great too.

But waits at Porto’s are minimal when you pre-order or proceed to the whole cake line. I almost always pre-order so the only worry I have is parking when I arrive.

2 Likes

Can I ask what you tend to pre-order? We used to do this but they upped their minimum order for potato balls and cheese pastries to something insane like three dozen. If there’s something else we can do to jump the line we’d be all over that.

(And to forestall jokes, Yes, yes, who can’t take down 36 potato balls, har har.)

1 Like