LA Restaurant Hot Takes

I haven’t eaten at Soto’s Kitchen but A likes the breakfast burrito. What’s a “papas”?

My go-tos were the classic papas burrito with steak and the papas burrito with spinach (health food, right?)

1 Like

Potatoes

1 Like

Ohhh, papas!

1 Like

I typically don’t like avocado with warm/hot stuff but I like it in this burrito. But now that I think about it scratch the avocado at Trejo’s. Since they’ve expanded there’s problems with staffing and consistency is an issue. Brown spots are common. :disappointed:

1 Like

Essential L.A. slang there, Cookie… :wink:

3 Likes

People who go to Trejo’s say taters. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::orange_heart:

runs away very fast

2 Likes

That’s because Ciro’s bowed out. They made an excellent chorizo, papas, y huevos burrito. Add some of their refried beans and the avocado salsa and it was like heaven in your mouth. Miss Ciro’s immensely. : (

But I agree, breakfast burritos, with proper procurement of ingredients, can be far superior made at home.

1 Like

Darn it @Dommy! Now I’m imagining what a great breakfast burrito could be like with Burritos La Palma’s amazing flour tortillas! :cry: No wonder you like breakfast burritos… it’s just not one the rest of us can buy. :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe at a future FTC collab event @Dommy can make these amazing breakfast burritos while @Nemroz makes some amazing lamb dish, and @hppzz can make some great pho for everyone? :wink: :smile:

3 Likes

This isn’t one of the new school places reviving flour tortillas but La Azteca Tortilleria makes great flour tortillas and great burritos including breakfast burritos. I haven’t visited in a while but they’ve been around so long I don’t think much will have changed in the intervening time

3 Likes

Ali Baba’s! I don’t think that place even had breakfast burritos when I lived in the area but I loved their super greasy mushroom burger. Definitely Sam’s for shawarma, though.

My go-tos were the classic papas burrito with steak and the papas burrito with spinach (health food, right?)

All the burritos are pretty solid but my regular is papas chorizo with nopales

1 Like

I’m very grateful for these breakfast burrito recommendations, too!

This summer I moved from west LA to Boyle Heights, and will try to hit up George’s soon.

In west LA I regularly went to Corner Deli (to go restaurant in Mobil gas station on corner of Santa Monica and Sepulveda). They have lots of burritos, my favorite was the Southwest breakfast burrito.

1 Like

You’re still in LA lol

OMG! You will love George’s! Not just for Breakfast Burritos, but also Burgers and Onion Rings and Milk Shakes and California Burritos… A real gem.

1 Like

You know, I like La Azteca Flour Tortillas, but they are a little thick compared to some of my current faves. That is why they work so well their more hearty fillings like Chile Verde and Chile Relleno (My favorite burrito there). But I have not tried one of their Breakfast Burritos. Will add that to my list as well!

3 Likes

Right? Duh, Cookie. We’re in L.A. not Spain. Also, @Nemroz’s own unique vocabulary throws me off sometimes. It could’ve been Boston speak for peppers. :grin:

1 Like

It might not feel that way. WLA to Boyle Heights.

1 Like

I’ve been for dinner, and really loved the chocolate shake and onion rings! My SO liked the Impossible burger, too. I wish they opened a little earlier–I like my breakfast burrito around 7am.

1 Like

Ha! It feels like a very different LA. I’ve lived in south Glendale (almost Atwater Village), then west LA, and now Boyle Heights.

This is different because this is the first time I’ve been a homeowner.

3 Likes

Congratulations!