LA supermarket ownership

Of course Trader Joe’s selection is limited, especially compared with a first-rate cheese shop, but where their stock overlaps, the great shop is charging you more for the same thing.

I would disagree with your take on cheeses, for the normal range of cheeses plus a couple of exoctics I would argue that TJ’s has a great selection. It doesn’t beat a cheesemonger or local specialties store but for the price and the convenience TJs can’t be beat.

2 Likes

well yeah, I would expect “one of the best cheese shops [you] have yet experienced” to be better than TJ’s, but TJ’s isn’t competing against that. I’ts competing against the shit variety available at most supermarkets.

8 Likes

Lol yup not everyone lives near the disneyland of cheese.

4 Likes

Chef Laurent’s cart?

2 Likes

I find the cheese selection at Trader Joe’s about on par with my local supermarkets, most of which in the last few years have upgraded “gourmet” cheese selections.

As I said, I really like the brand of Israeli feta cheese that I have never seen anywhere but Trader Joe’s – much better than the “gourmet” Greek and French brands I have tried. In the past, I would brave Trader Joe’s just for that feta, but not for ages because I hated TJ’s pre-pandemic and I still hate it. I think you are either a TJ shopper or you aren’t.

TJ’s old brand is reportedly sold by Fairway and Wegmans.

Bulgarian feta can be very good.

1 Like

Agree with others here that TJs cheese selection is not meant to compete with the likes of MilkFarm and BH Cheese Store. That being said, with Kroger’s purchase of Murray’s Cheese Store three years ago, the supermarket selection is becoming more competitive. Even Murray’s branded Formaticum cheese bags at Ralph’s for a great price.

I drove by a local TJs yesterday and took advantage of a short line. Three minutes and I was in! A first since the Stay @ Home. It reminded me what I buy at TJs (some for shut-in family members):

• Double Chocolate Ice Cream (Double Rainbow)
  • Bellwether Farms Creme Fraiche at a great price (only Costco in bulk might be better)
  • Hair serum for my locks (love this stuff, hope they don’t stop making it)
  • Goat milk
  • Organic mayo
  • Bananas
  • Ginger (kinda sad pieces, but I feel better about how it’s packaged)
  • Blueberry Lavendar Almond Milk
  • Coconut Tumeric Ginger Milk
  • Ezekiel Bread
  • Organic Sour Cream (strangely the same price as conventional)
  • SPF 40 Sunblock
  • Three Weavers Beer (two types, great price)
  • Allagash in cans (good price)
  • Modern Times (not sure about the price, but looks interesting)
  • Thai Chile Cashews
  • Truffle Marcona Almonds
  • some packaged food for off the floor testing

Was glad to get so much fun stuff in one quick trip. Their customer service is great. Their associates seem happy to be there. I remember when they opened the first stores in Salt Lake City and Brooklyn. The lines! I’d be sad if they went away.

And yes, the beer was for me.

3 Likes

i recall TJ’s having what could have been categorized as a great selection of cheeses at great prices about 25 years ago, but their prices have crept up a bit over the years so they don’t offer the same value that they did back then. combine that with other establishments raising the bar with the quality and selection of cheeses being available, and it’s a bit like the beef wrap at 101 noodle express - probably the best 10-15 years ago, still good, but better alternatives now exist.

When Ralph’s fresh faire locations started having a dedicated Murray’s cheese kiosk, it really elevated the competition. Having that kind of selection and connection to the Murray’s in New York, it was great to see cheeses that were harder to find previously. Also having knowledgeable staff giving tastes and smaller portions to buy for a snack treat was big.

1 Like

What “better alternatives” are you thinking of? I’ve bought cheese in a lot of different places in the last few years, and for the good stuff that Trader Joe’s carries, their prices are the best after Costco’s.

Protected-origin European cheeses are what they are. Maybe at a first-rate cheese shop you could get some that has been aged longer than TJ’s, but you’ll pay a lot more for that, and for cooking you might want the young stuff anyway. I like four-year-old cave-aged Gruyère, but it doesn’t make as good fondue.

for those of us around pasadena, we have nicole’s in south pasadena. the selection isn’t super diverse, but what they do carry is reasonably priced. i used to go there for lunch on thursdays for the country pate sandwich or charcuterie because they always had (and i imagine still have) free samples of cheese along with baguette slices. but truth be told, i’ve been ruined for cheese after sampling so many cheeses in france made with unpasteurized milk that can’t be bought here.

EDIT: that wasn’t the greatest grammar, but then i don’t think you can purchase unpasteurized milk either.

Trader Joe’s staff is great!

I don’t shop at TJs as much as I used to because it’s not one-stop shopping for me anymore - I’ve had issues with their meat and they discontinued a few items that I loved. But I still :hearts: TJs. I think they buy direct with no middleman, making the prices much better than stores like WF and way tastier than the 365 brand. Yes, as they’ve grown some of the supply and quality of the products has reduced, like the cheese section which was once their crowning glory. But it’s still good and they have a cheese list you can request which gives details, origins and whether a cheese is made with animal, vegetable or microbial rennet - something important to a couple of peeps in my family - so it’s helpful to know when I’m buying for a gathering. Which leads me to the party aspect. All their prepared food and carbs peeps are hating on is great for appetizers, cocktail parties, game day, etc. TJs is party central for me. Side bar: I’d watch the sodium levels when eating their prepared food on a regular basis - it’s ridiculous. I like their wine department more than WF. They have a few of my favorite budget bottles, but mainly because they have a wine department and the staff know it well. You have to hunt them down at WF just for them to say “Uhhh… Ummm” and I never like their recs (WF might have the upper-hand in the beer dept). But if we’re talkin’ comparing grocery store vs grocery store not specialty stores, bakeries & farmers markets then I like a lot about TJ’s - their jar, canned & frozen foods, produce, bread, cereal, cheeses, wine, great nuts & trail mixes, 99 cent greeting cards, dairy… that Organic Sour Cream is my favorite sour cream @chewchow! :heart_eyes:

P.S. What’s with all the flagging?

2 Likes

Congress just approved another $300 billion in funding. Keep your fingers crossed it “trickles” down!

2 Likes

I love Nicole’s (hot tip: Flourless Chocolate Cake…this former pastry chef wouldn’t even bother to make one now), but so many of the cheeses I’ve bought of late have been ammoniated, so buyer beware.

Great stop for Banyuls vinegar, beurre de Baratte, frozen cassoulet, frozen cocktail bites, baking supplies and Frabrique Delices saucisson among other things.

Just me being a dick.

3 Likes

Ahhh okay… well, then you must’ve had a reason. Yes, I’m biased. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

bumping this - Urban Radish is going out of business. I stopped in for some natural peanut butter and saw the sad news.

Oh no that’s a bummer! They were my go to during the beginning of the pandemic when all the major stores were sold out. Definitely going to miss them in that part of the neighborhood. Even though they were on the pricier side, I wonder if losing a working lunch crowd hurt them much?

A post on Yelp says they’re moving to Hollywood. Maybe this?