LA Times: "$10,000 for one Instagram post? How food influencers can make or break restaurants"

It has been enforced. This should be evident:

1 Like

That great eater eats great!

2 Likes

Those guys owned the company they were promoting.

Reportedly there’s been no other enforcement action in the five years since.

the greatestest :hugs:

2 Likes

FTC in the news on FTC!

2 Likes

From your link:

" the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) [Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising] require that any material connection – such as a personal stake in a company, the receipt of compensation for an endorsement, or the receipt of free product – be clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the public.

What are you in disagreement with?

Your original contention was whether it was law that influencers had to disclose. The linked guidance is part of the FTC Act, which is a federal statute. That’s law. They’re not sending warning letters to influencers to help mentor them. Would you think it safe for them to ignore the letter? Like I said, FTC has discretion on what they want to pursue. And influencers will likely get away with not disclosing if they so choose to. It’s still law.

1 Like

I just asked if there was a law. I see that there is, but to date it has been enforced only once, five years ago, against two guys who were promoting a gambling site without disclosing that they owned it. Recently the FTC sent warning letters to a bunch of celebrities who endorsed NFTs without disclosing that they owned some.

So there’s virtually no enforcement. Seems like there’s no chance the FTC’s going to go after these small-change restaurant influencers.

1 Like

Can you rephrase this in a haiku pls

3 Likes

@hppzz fits this description much better, and is MY trusted source on IG (along with FTC folks who have a presence there). As someone who works in digital media and brand & comms during the day, it is indeed a filthy space but one that could be beneficial to some who wish to play the game. Any engagement is short-lived, however, so it’s really up to the restaurants to seize that opportunity should it arise from social.

4 Likes

Great Eater Chris Hei
Influencer to many
But small following

by Hungrydrunk

10 Likes

great eater chris hei
not so great when dieting
but enjoys cheat meals

8 Likes

Hungry great eater
bang bang yum hainan chicken
Smash kakigori

8 Likes

Digital comms boss
The eater we all deserve
Influencers, tremble!

4 Likes

Ohmigod, I first thought you were talking about Food Talk Central! I was like, “Why would Food Talk Central be involved in this at all???” Heh.

2 Likes

11 Likes

I hate you @hppzz @PorkyBelly :sob:

8 Likes

https://instagram.com/stories/chrishei/2960617210625564838?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Catch this before it disappears

2 Likes

is that the “sexy” version?

1 Like

Nice.

1 Like

for posterity

8 Likes