Lamb Rogan Josh

A friend is coming into town. LOVES Lamb Rogan Josh. where to go?

I usually catch Josh Groban at the Hollywood Bowl.

1 Like

does this dish not exist? Iā€™m not getting the jokes.

Youā€™re going to need to allow more time and pray someone really persian shows up.

Roghan Josh is an Indian dish.

Lulu, I donā€™t know that Iā€™ve ever seen it on any Indian restaurant menus around here. Itā€™s a regional/specialty dish. Most restaurants in LA cater to either South Indian foods, or North Indian Muglai/Punjabi foods.

[[quote=ā€œboogiebaby, post:6, topic:6172, full:trueā€]
Roghan Josh is an Indian dish.
[/quote]

This lamb curry originally came to Kashmir from Iran, or Persia as it was then known. When Persia was very hot, a clan of people known as the Mughals travelled to Kashmir because it was a lot cooler than their homeland as a result of its high altitude. They brought with them Rogan Josh, which has been a curry staple ever since.

Iā€™ve only eaten at Jaipur although I donā€™t do lamb so canā€™t comment on the dish in question.

I recall Chargha House in Culver City having a lot of beef and lamb dishes that are based in different curries and sauces. I looked up their menu and they do have what you are looking for. I also yelped ā€œRogan Joshā€ and the first 20 places listed are all Indian eateries.

You probably need to know what type of this dish you are truly looking for. Iā€™m no Indian cuisine expert but the wiki the @CharlesDarwin posted refers to the various iterations of this dish. For instance, Iā€™d think a version infused with dairy would be very different from a version without.

It may have originally been brought to Kashmir by the Mughals, but itā€™s known as a Kashmiri dish. If you go back to the wikipedia link you posted, it mentions that in the body as well as the boxed notes to the right.

Lulu, I would just call the indian restaurants you are considering and see if they offer it, or would be willing to make it. Itā€™s a bit labor intensive so it might be something only certain restaurants have, or only make for catering jobs or something.

Thank you all for the replies. I hate indian food so I wasnā€™t going to call any of the places. lol

P.S. I hate it because everytime I eat it I get a massive migraine, even from the no msg places.

What does MSG have to do with your migraines? Thatā€™s voodoo science that was disproved long ago

1 Like

this is one of the funniest things iā€™ve read in a while.

Blame it on the Democrats.

#FakeNews

Iā€™ve seen it at Bhanu in Rosemead.

Jaipur Cuisine of India has a very nice Lamb Rogan Josh, and it is actually on their lunch buffet every single day. This is the only indian lunch buffet I have ever seen that has a lamb dish (rogan josh) every day on the all-you-can-eat lunch buffet. I believe you can even do take-out of the buffet, they will give you a styrofoam container to fill up and take to-go!

Jaipur Cuisine of India
10916 W Pico Blvd,
Los Angeles, CA 90064
Phone : (310) 470-4994

2 Likes

Tried this place today.

And, wow, am I really glad Jaipur is within walking distance of Atticus. Still dreaming of that potato chip chocolate ice cream.

LOLOL. :smile: