Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

Hi @wienermobile,

Yes! The #44 is also wonderful. :slight_smile: And thanks for the reminder on their Pastrami Chili Fries. :smile:

1 Like

Yes, that pastrami and chopped liver is great—so rich that it’s like two sandwiches in one. I always get an extra slice of rye with my order so I can enjoy a chicken liver half sandwich later.

4 Likes

Say that out loud. It sounds kinda’ naughty.

3 Likes

:rofl:

Bovid-19

6 Likes

Update 4 (To-Go):

All of our FTC discussion on Langer’s yesterday, and the fact that @JeetKuneBao has never had their Corned Beef and @Gr8pimpin was asking for suggestions for the 2nd ever visit… I suddenly had a craving for Langer’s and had to go for “research” for FTC. :wink:

You would think a place open since 1947(!) might be slow to adapt, but Langer’s Deli has an efficient Curbside Pickup system, and even for walk-in orders, they only allow 2 customers (socially distanced) to walk into the cashier area to order.

#33 – Patty Melt on Rye:

This was insanely delicious today! Toasty, crunchy Rye Bread (we arrived 5 minutes early to make sure we opened up the Patty Melt container as soon as possible), Caramelized Onions, juicy Beef Patty and perfectly Melted Cheese.

It was even better than the last 2 times we’ve had the Patty Melt at Langer’s and one of the best Patty Melts we’ve had in recent memory! :heart:

#54 (Modified) Beef Tongue (Hot) & Corned Beef Combo Sandwich:

Their Double-Baked Rye Bread, soft and airy gives way to tender, moist, perfectly seasoned Corned Beef and then you get their juicy Beef Tongue! An outstanding Sandwich and a great alternative to their Pastrami. Do not miss this, especially Lengua fans! :heart: :blush: :heart:

We were staring online at the #65 – Hot Pastrami with Cream Cheese and Sliced Tomato since @A5KOBE was asking for it…

We couldn’t do it. :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: That sounds so wrong. :wink: So instead:

Hot Pastrami on Rye (w/ Mustard):

In the end, for all the Langer’s newbies and longtime fans, it’s all about Langer’s legendary Pastrami Sandwich. Note that we just had an overwhelming (but delicious) Meat Fest known as Heritage Barbecue (so worth it!), and we’ve been eating mainly Salads since that day. And this is probably our 20th+ visit to Langer’s.

Consider the fact that most kitchens are operating under more stressed and limited conditions, with all food being packaged To-Go. It’s not the same as sitting down and them bringing out your Pastrami Sandwich to your table. Langer’s could’ve easily cut corners in this To-Go environment and with fewer staff members, but instead after taking a bite, all we got was…

Succulent, perfectly tender, lightly smoky, balanced peppery, well-seasoned, absolutely luscious Pastrami! :heart:

It as glorious, and I was salivating while eating it! It was even better today than the last 3 or 4 visits! The pillowy Double-Baked Rye Bread, the tender, luscious Pastrami, a bit of Mustard and all you can say is:

This is the best Pastrami Sandwich I’ve ever had in my life. :heart: :blush: :heart:

Langer’s Deli is still humming along, old school in many ways, but also agile enough to create a safe delivery system during the pandemic. There are all types of great innovations and elevations of food in the culinary world year after year, but sometimes, OG is best. The greatest Pastrami Sandwich. An L.A. treasure.

Langer’s Delicatessen
704 S. Alvarado St.
Los Angeles, CA 90057
Tel: (213) 483-8050

22 Likes

THIS was not what I expected yesterday. The place always struck me as so completely old school, right down to the fact that you can’t order online for pickup. “Call us”

So when I did call, told them I wanted to pay by credit card, I expected them to take the CC info/number over the phone. Nope. Came out with a remote POS to take payment at the curb.

Sweet!

I know you’ll maybe laugh, one of my favorite things at a jewish deli is a club sandwich on toasted rye. LOL! YES, a sandwich with Bacon!

I need to add that to my list.

I’ll tell you, @Chowseeker1999 after my visit yesterday, it took everything I had, to resist blowing off work and going back today.

9 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Nice! I’ve never tried the club sandwich at Langer’s. But on your next visit, definitely consider the #54 Corned Beef & Beef Tongue, #88 Reuben, #44 Pastrami Reuben (Hot Pastrami, Sauerkraut, Nippy Cheese, Grilled), and a few other items. :wink:

2 Likes

Great story of old school business survival. A place I’d love to go and order everything on the menu in one sitting .With help to eat it all of course.

7 Likes

Yeah, this is next on my list. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Reuben at a deli that wasn’t with Swiss.

What’s “nippy” cheese? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I know it’s on their menu but I’ve never heard of that.

1 Like

Whatever they serve at Langer’s doesn’t hit the Reuben itch at all for me. Brents the reigning champ
there by a mile. Ymmv.

2 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

I don’t know, but it tastes good. :smile: I’ll have to ask them next time.

1 Like

OOE FTC (take-out) meetup at Langers…

2 Likes

Hi @Ns1,

Yah I love Brent’s Black Pastrami Reuben (dine-in) more than Langer’s version. But for Takeout so far, Brent’s Black Pastrami Reuben’s shelf-life is pretty bad. (We showed up early and still waited 45 minutes for our To-Go order (they were backed up), and they called out our order when it was finally ready, we opened it up immediately and it was still soggy bread.) It might be a fluke, though.

For To-Go, Langer’s #44 (Pastrami version w/ Nippy Cheese) and #88 (Corned Beef version w/ Melted Swiss) both turned out far better (toasty bread). But we’ll give Brent’s To-Go another try soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the heads up!

Doubtful. The Brent’s Reuben has been a poor traveler for me.

1 Like

We had Langer’s today too and broke all the rules. Nobody felt like going over there so we used evil Postmates. I ordered a Pastrami on Rye w/Swiss and since that one only comes with russian dressing (no substitutes) I asked for it on the side and planned on putting leftover mustard from Johnny’s on it. Of course, it came with russian dressing on it. I scraped it off and added mustard… and veganaise. Hubby doesn’t like rye bread and ordered the #19 or whatever the one is on a roll with russian, slaw & swiss… he loved it. Oh and delivery was quick but sandwiches were not piping hot… the bread crust was nice and crispy, though. I didn’t take any photos because I didn’t want to be the cause of people fainting, running and screaming in horror.

12 Likes

You put ketchup on your pastrami??? Lol

5 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Per Langer’s: Their “Nippy Cheese” is a variation of an American Cheese, but slightly different. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Ah the dilemma of wanting Russian Dressing! We figured a nice workaround. Tip for next time:

• To achieve your own true Reuben Sandwich, order the #44 (Hot Pastrami, Sauerkraut and Nippy Cheese Grilled on Rye), or the #88 (Hot Corned Beef, Sauerkraut and Swiss Cheese Grilled on Rye), and ask for a side of Russian Dressing. :slight_smile:

Since both the #44 and #88 are normally prepared without Russian Dressing, you’ll never worry about them accidentally adding too much Russian Dressing. You can then add however much you want into the delicious toasty, lightly crunchy Sandwich and enjoy! :slight_smile:

4 Likes